Monday 11 January 2021

From Dallas: Ral Partha Cold Drake in the Hatchery! (30? Points)

Now on to Level 2 of the Dungeon... and the Hatchery! I figure this Ral Partha Cold Drake is a lock for the Hatchery, as it's a dragon (which hatch from eggs) crossed with a bird (ditto)!

This model was sculpted by the great Tom Meier for Ral Partha back in the late '70s/early '80s (I think the copyright date on the base was '79?) and boy, it's a stunner. Amazingly, I'm the original owner of this model, having purchased it myself, likely at the Hobby Hunter shop on 10th Street in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada. It's sat in my lead box ever since, only being painted nearly 40 years later!


The strange part about this particular example is the wings... if you search the web for images of the RP Cold Drake you'll invariably see the model with normal webbed dragon wings... but I'm certain that this example came with the feathered wings that are on it now. Packing mistake at the Partha-werke? Who knows but these wings fit well enough and that's how I assembled it lo those many years ago.

It's not a huge dragon, but big enough to count 10 points I reckon... here it is pictured with a recently painted Foundry fantasy fighter from the Casting Room.

I really like the way these two models interact - hard to fathom that they were probably sculpted 35 years apart.

Lastly, here's the updated map... coming for you, Mike F! Next up, the Armoury... or maybe a figure for Sarah...?

Cheers!

16 comments:

  1. There is no school like old school. That dragon is fantastic, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That figures older than me! Great looking blue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a seriously awesome dragon Dallas. I can remember looking at these figures in my local shop back in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a brilliant drake Dallas! I love the backstory of you having it since being a lad in Brandon - that's just awesome. I really like the path you took for his colours. He has a Neverending Story vibe about him. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this beastie - vibrant and characterful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on this Dallas, and it is so cool to see models THIS classic, that's outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid finish on this classic Ral Partha dragon! I've got this figure, which I got from Michaels models North Finchley in 1979/80 and its also got the feathers on it,so there must have been a production run ,or 2 widely separated mistakes ?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear I'm not misremembering this purchase, Iain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super looking Dragon, love the colours
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work! The blue and white colour combo is quite striking

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely choice of blues on him Dallas, but what a dorky little dragon. Cute!

    ReplyDelete