Friday 15 January 2021

From Curt: Work Servitors from the Grim Dark Future (50 Points)

 For 'The Golem's Haunt' I have six tireless (or is it forever tired?) work servitors for my 40K/Dark Heresy collection. 

MikeF scooped me on this theme (good one Mike!), but I thought I'd stick with it as I needed to complete these models as they've been balefully looking at me for the better part of a year.

These rather dolorous chaps are from Wargames Exclusive, an eastern European miniature company, whose products I've always really enjoyed. All their figures are made from resin, quite delicate and beautifully designed.

For those not savvy to GW lore, servitors are essentially cyborg slaves who's biological bits have been harvested from criminals, dissidents, and those poor souls thought to be undesirable. 

The reason for creating servitors rather than just building robots is that, in the distant past, the Imperium suffered a long, horrific war caused by rebellious machines benefitting from artificial intelligence (or 'Abominable Intelligence'). So now, they manufacture 'thinking' machines using repurposed cerebral cortexes and other bits grafted to machine parts. Yep, pretty horrific. In the grim dark future, Mankind has become a big supporter of 'social recycling'.


I really like that these figures are not combat orientated, but rather designed to set a domestic scene on some Imperial ship, or perhaps a compliant world. I especially like the fellow furiously polishing, perhaps the shoe of some dignitary, or maybe drying off a worthy's favourite pet; and the other servitor, pale in 'hand', cleaning a window, admiring his reflection: deus ex Machina indeed. 




These six fellas, along with the Chamber bonus, will give me 50 points AND my 6th Squirrel Point!

Next Up: Hmm. Not sure. Either a teleport, or a peek into the Chamber of Darkness...

- Curt


16 comments:

  1. Great looking servitors of the grim dark future! Lovely finish on some really characterful figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can something be grimdark and yet attractive (apart from your good self, of course)? I really don't want to like these, but they're great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look brilliant, and tired

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great detail -- especially on all the tools and such like, totally believable1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grim and nasty Curt. Are servitor contractors any better than humans at delivering projects on time and budget?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super group of figures, love all the extra detail on them 👌
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  7. you really created a gruesome beauty here Curt! I have been eyeing the set myself and this might push me over the line!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely work Curt and today I learned that GW had it's own Butlerian Jihad :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely stuff - these will be great for table dressing or RPG no doubt. I like the one with polishing cloth the best, perhaps he’s polishing a Titan’s toe?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now, that's a pretty darn cool bunch of Servitors. The painting is as ever top notch my friend, but what I really like is that they're NOT combat-servitors. You only rarely see civilians in historical games and I don't think I've ever seen a (kind of) civilian in a Sci-Fi game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, and for spread sheet purposes it'd have been nice if you'd included the chamber for which these were intended... tstststs!

      Delete
  11. Awesome work on these minis, they should add some real flavour to your table.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice brushwork on those Curt

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like these a lot! No skullz?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I go with “forever tired” - great work in these my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nicely done Curt and the metal is very convincing!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete