Sunday 10 January 2021

From SimonG: An Oni for the "Pit of the Pendulum" (27 points)

 Carrying on my exploration of Yokai I offer up an Oni or traditional Japanese demon. Once again this is a Ludus Magnus Studios offering from their Black Rose Wars game set (this is one of the expansion figures offered to the original Kickstarter backers in the Stator set).



Again this is a 38mm scale PVC casting and overall a very clean sculpt with all sorts of interesting details. I deliberately opted against being at all bloodthirsty -- frankly every time I try this it ends up looking a bit silly 😀



I also experimented a bit with different varnishes -- using a select amount of gloss to bring out a few bits of the model.




Anyway good to play around with different skin tones and mixes of colours -- the palette is pretty traditional (red skin, green hair) with the hakama coloured to look like my old Kendo kit! Hardest to know what to do with were the various heads around this fellows belt 😕







So that just about wraps up Level 1 -- I'll be looking for some assistance to get me into where I want to be on level 2 so look forward to a Western European mythical lady next. By my reckoning another 27 points (7 for a 40mm figure and 20 for the chamber)

21 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking Oni. I'm not sure what his weapon is meant to be, but it looks brutal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I think I’ll just call it a lopper 😉 thanks for the kind feedback

      Delete
  2. Yikes!! That's a blade.
    Well done.
    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be awkward to handle, lucky he’s been hitting the gym! Thanks Bruce

      Delete
  3. Great looking Oni Simon! (So many manufacturers now, it's hard to keep up!) I really like his skintone and green hair - classic! And quite the butterknife he has there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt -- I think for LMS the figures are a sideline to the games they serve, but they look pretty good!

      Delete
  4. Great looking Oni! His blade certainly qualifies for this chamber!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain -- I don't have much call for torture implements in Impetus!

      Delete
  5. Good work Simon, he looks suitably menacing in his traditional colours. I also like seeing him as it gives me another company to get some Oni from as I have been looking for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Byron -- I think LMS have some single figures for sale but as far as I can tell not this one I'm afraid but sometimes the figures come up on eBay

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray -- this was a great figure to paint, I really enjoyed coming up with the colourscheme

      Delete
  7. Truly terrifying demon! And colourful also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George -- yes he's not someone I'd like to meet up in the mountains of Japan

      Delete
  8. Good work! He's got a terrifying amount of detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks -- their were actually etched characters in the papers at his belt but I couldn't match them, had to make do with some little swipes of black!

      Delete
  9. That’s a nasty looking figure! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I believe they are known as a bit bloodthirsty 👹

      Delete
  10. That is one scary looking dude 😳
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete