Monday 11 January 2021

Zulu Warrior that started it all DennisC ID 25 65points

My Entry Fee model, a plastic Zulu warrior that I've had sitting in a sprue for a while now, started off as a lark:  A good friend of mine, when I suggested whilst working, that I should do a weird wacky model as my last model of 2020.  I had been working on my 15mm Persians but had been wondering what to do for a Prize Model, and since the plan was to get my good friend Scott Roach the prize model (since he lives in town) the Zulu warrior was a perfect idea.  I had him built and basecoated within the hour, then painted and Strong Toned before 8pm, Dec 31.    Here he is:






The reason this model works perfectly for Scott Roach is because a few years ago at Historicon, I bought the Rorke's Drift box set, and I kept the British and he went with the Zulu's.     Of course, because I had snipped off the shields from the Zulu sprue (intention was to use them on bases for my officers) I had to find the shield.. and came across my Brits.    I had a few painted, but then spent the next few days with Dave Docherty, Martin Cooke, and Bob Falcetti's aid, sorted out my entire force and rebased them all, fixed the bayonets and chipping that had occured on the half painted ones, and below are the fruits of my labour thus far:

Figures are a mix of Warlord plastics and various metals.   I've painted them the red coats from Zulu / Zulu Dawn..

I figured why not finish the Defenders of Rorke's Drift first

John Chard, leading the defences.

I submit the following:  8x British 28mm foot models and 1 Prize 28mm foot.
(the mounted officer Melvill, Bourne, Bromhead and Chard plus 3 regulars were already painted and therefore not being submitted for points)

Dennis 'Matt Varnish' Campbell  ID 25


15 comments:

  1. Nice work on these stout Welsh Borderers Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent stuff! I keep coveting that box set, even though I don't play historical... or need the settlement. It looks like such a nice box to open and explore

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great collection. Very animated and nice clean painting style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Zulu, Matt. Very animated and great skin tone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Zulu and Brits!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracking entry mate - that Chard character model is direct from the silver screen! How many times did you hum "Men of Harlech" to yourself while painting these? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and bright colours! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome looking Zulu and some very cool British troops. The movie versions of the Rorke's Drift defenders are really nice sculpts. I like your work on Lt. Chard, you've brought him to life nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are all very nice! I agree that Chard in particular looks the part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking Zulu 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete