Sunday 10 January 2021

Iain W Fast and dirty gendarmes 28mm (220 points)

 We have here 22 x gendarmes for the great Italian wars, three units of eight, it's just that two were painted earlier, in fact they've been cluttering up the paint desk for something like eight years! They're metal Perry war of the Roses command figures. The rest are all Perry plastic with the addition of spare Steel fist heads from their gendarmes set.

I've painted up two units as Spanish gendarmes which were less heavily armed than their Italian and French counterparts, the Perry set is for the War of the Roses and goes up to the end of the 15th century, the Great Italian wars starts at the end of the 15th century, they might be a bit old fashioned but in the  words of Rod Stewart, I don't mind, they wear it well!

The other unit I will be using as French and I have given them a French flag I did in a previous challenge, those gendarmes are currently flying Papal/Venetian flags in two of my To the strongest  armies, I wanted to be able to field four armies on my two tables but I have a dearth of gendarmes, hence these 24 gentlemen,  I have a further 24 moving on to the painting table, gosh this laser focus on Napoleonics is going well don't you think? 

I've changed techniques on these chaps,previously I would prime black, dry brush white and then paint with washes, giving me a kind of highlighting.  In an effort to increase speed and productivity I have continued to prime in black and then wet brushed the colours on using the black as shadow,  I think it's worked alright, I'm calling them good enough!

The Spanish flags are by Pete's flags, they're ace!

So a unit of Steel fist gendarmes and two units of plastic pound shop gendarmes  have now hit the painting desk, more French gendarmes (they need a lot!) to come!

















The barded horses are warlords plastic English civil war horses with their heads replaced by Perry's ,first post of 2021, that's 220 points,charge!

All the best Iain 

28 comments:

  1. Awesome painting my friend!Colourful and realistic outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very impressive force of heavy horse Iain! Congrats on getting them completed and off your desk. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Curt! Nice to get them off the desk!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Nice work - especially the stripes. A fine looking paint bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You've got to have some strippey lances!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Fantastic work Iain - and remember, “laser focus” just hurts your eyes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! Very good and valid point, I shall remember it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. They've come out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Iain -- very impressive all ranked together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Simon! They do look better when there are lots of them!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Wow "serious lead" for the table top! Is week 4 going to have a Renaissance vibe? Looking forward to the French gendarmes - in another 8 years?? Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez! I'm hoping not 8 years but you never know,always nice to follow some landsknechts!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. For "quick and dirty" those are pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel! I guess they're faster and rougher than my previous batches!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. wow - these look fantastic - given the customization on the horses, I'm not sure the term "quick and dirty" applies in the way you think it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles! The conversion is pretty easy, Stanley knife, lots of glue and cover everything up with the barding, I guess it's the painting that's more fast and dirty compared to what I've done on similar quality troops!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Lovely stuff - and good to hear you let them mature suitably for eight years before painting them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that’s a formidable force of gendarmes Iain. And more to come! Your quick and dirty technique looks pretty damn good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! It's okay I think, not quite as good but good enough if I can knock them out faster!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Beautifully done, Iain. They are some outstanding minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Stuart! It's a colourful period to be fair!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. They look excellent Iain! Especially the hand painted flags add quite some period specific flavour

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Nick! The two Spanish flags are actually printed by Pete's flags,they're really good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done Iain, a great group of Men at Arms 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken! Flying Pete's flags of course!
      Best Iain

      Delete