Thursday 14 January 2021

From TeemuL: Trapped, tasty hobbits, The Hall of Traps (27 points)

Venerable S.N. Owl-Ord descends the stairs to the Level 1 of the Chambers of Challenge, although he doesn't know it himself. He feels a bit lost, but that is normal to him, so the little uneasiness doesn't bother him too much. Anyway, he starts to feel he took a wrong turn somewhere when going to the principal's office, when he hears a cry "Keep you hands of him!" from the corner of the dark room. There seems to be a small man or a young boy, mostly in greens, but a little bit difficult to properly see, he had a huge cloak, which seemed to camouflage him quite well. In a dim light he also noticed another young one, clearly trapped in some kind of wraps. The glowing dagger, real or fake, in the hand of the screamer was enough hint for our Shellington to quickly continue his journey, pardoning his interruption. Someone was whispering about "tasty hobbitses" in the shadows and the screaming guy said something like "I'm here, master", so most likely the principal's office was just around the corner.


Keep your hands off him!

My first step in the Chambers of Challenge. While I first went through the list of the rooms, I was thinking, it is difficult to get something for most of the rooms, may be I just skip the Chambers and paint what I like. But after re-reading the list couple of times, I started to get ideas and this was one of them. Frodo here is as trapped as a hobbit can, in the clutches of Shelob. I decided to paint the Sam as well, I wonder what I will paint for the Pit of the Pendulum, what could be there to terrify our Shellington?

These miniatures are metal miniatures from Games Workshop, released around the time of the Return of the King movie. I guess these are sculpted by Michael Perry and Trish Morrison is credited for the other stuff in the box. Frodo was quite a simple paint job, I tried to get his face quite pale and lifeless.

Sam was a bit trickier, since 20 years ago I painted my first Sam with dark green pants and light green jacket. This sculpt has elven cloak, which I have painted very dark green for other members of the Fellowship in the past. So trying to get different shades of green to different clothes was bit tricky, and I'm not 100% happy with the outcome. I played around a bit, I painted the cloak with Warboss Green and then painted it again with Ork Flesh Contrast paint, like a wash, to make it darker and have the shadows. Jacket and trousers are different greens washed with Biel Tan Green.and then highlighted with light greens and yellow. The flask in the hand is not very visible in the photos, but it is silver highlighted with white to mimic the Light (trapped) inside.

For the scoring purposes, 28mm hobbits have been scored 5 points a piece in the past, so I'll continue with that. Frodo is prone, so it would be half the points, but I'll be happy with 2, rounding down because of the hobbits.

7 points for the hobbits

20 points for the room

Total 27 points and 7 points for my GW side duel (137 in total now, I guess), I might jump in the top half for a while now...

10 comments:

  1. Good looking prone Frodo and animated Sam!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, their both ended up being quite singlecolored, but they look rather nice. Thanks to sculptor! :)

      Delete
  2. I really like those hobbits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are nice one, they are part of the scenario, so they don't need to "general."

      Delete
  3. My favourite type of hobbit, one that doesn't move! Nice job
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, then you must have really liked it couple of Challenges ago, when I painted the 4 paralyzed hobbits from the Barrow-Wights box?

      Delete
  4. Great looking hobbits. Sam really was the hero of the story, wasn't he.

    ReplyDelete