Tuesday 12 January 2021

KenR - 28mm Italian Allied Legion Hastati 2 - 160 points

We're back with what I promise is a different unit from my last post !


This is my second and final batch of 32 x 28mm Victrix Hastati figures giving me a total of 64 for the entire Legion, these can be broken down into 4 smaller 16 figure units if required. There are so many variations of how Republican Romans fought I won't go into it here, but I wanted to have some flexibility with the figures to enable me to work on the different possible formations.

Exactly the same as my last entry, 8 figures on each 60 x 60 base, mix of armoured and unarmoured figures, LBMS shield transfers. There are a couple of Agema Miniatures hidden in the back ranks of the unit to make the numbers up, they are quite different to the Victrix figures but in a big unit like this you can't really see them.

Look great in a mass or in a close up, sign of a really nice figure, these shots really show how a bit of work blending in the shield transfers post application makes a big difference.

Above is a picture of the Hastati in formation and ready for action. 32 x 28mm figures at 5 points each will net me 160 big ones.

And just to round off above is the Project to date, lots of MDF to cover but I'm still on track to finish before March 21st. 

Painting plan is, 12 Cavalry, 32 Principes, General, 32 Principes, 12 Cavalry, 32 Hastati, Top General.



Lovely brushwork Ken, and it's always fascinating to see your large project plans. 160 points it is.

Tamsin

40 comments:

  1. Very nice again, Ken. I'm keenly following this project, as I've my own Victrix punics on the workbench. So keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel, look forward to seeing your version 👍

      Delete
  2. Fantastic stuff Ken - I love seeing the proportion of MDF in that final photo shrink. You are a machine! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the proportion of MDF disappearing too 😄

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous looking legionaries Ken, they really work well en masse. The organizational complexities of the Republican Legions always tie me up in knots and I’m never sure how to handle them under any set of rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Peter, safe to say no one actually knows. After looking into it for 40 years from an amateur perspective I have my theories. I'm going to do a big blog post on it when the Legion is done 👍

      Delete
    2. Given historians still debate how Alexander’s for companions were equipped and fought, your guess is as good as anyone’s until we invent time travel.

      Delete
  4. These are fantastic. I look forward to you blog post on Legion organization - I really don't have a good grasp on that and kind of wing it with my mini armies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles, like basing 15mm tanks, Republican Legion tactics could start a fight in an empty room 😀

      Delete
  5. Beautiful work Ken. I love seeing these units come off your table and enjoy watching your blank MDF bases steadily getting used up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, its an MDF massacre 😄
      Regards KenR

      Delete
  6. Amazing. The plan execution is a driving force. Again well done.
    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers BruceR, I need a plan otherwise I wander aimlessly round my collections.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful work Ken - the massed ranks look really adds a sense of scale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Paul, I don't really do small 😄

      Delete
  8. Excellent looking troops there! I'm always envious when I see historical armies like these as I havn't got the patience to do the same figures over and over again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, i find i can get in a zone with them and plough through them, modern figures are a lot easier as each figure has sligjt variations 👍

      Delete
  9. Superb Republican Romans! I really like the off white and bronze and the shields work really well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those bases are filling up nicely. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, its a great feeling to fill some more up each week

      Delete
  11. Fantastic project and great painting. Thanks for the careful professional photo shots - love the motivational one with the blank bases ... personally that would be depressing for me though! Pint half full or half empty? Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look ace - I remember these from playing the first Rome:Total War game as it would should out the unit name when you selected them - these look much better than those computer generated figures though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣 so true Jamie, I still hear that computer voice saying "Velites" every time I go near them 😁

      Delete
  13. Smashin' work Ken. Love the shield designs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work as always Ken. They're really starting to take shape now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terrific work, Ken. I really love the painting and the planning which you're putting into these Romans! I particularly like the photo of the chequerboard formation - very evocative. It's going to be a wonderful force when completed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Sidney, watching the MDF slowly disappear on the group pic is a nice feeling 😀

      Delete