Sunday 22 December 2019

From MartinN: Ludi incipiant (60 Points)

Another year, another challenge! I'm pretty happy to have joined this years extravaganza again, the 6th time running if I remember correctly. To start things off and ease myself back into painting after several weeks, if not months, away from the painting table I decided on a Gladiator by Crusader Miniatures.


I rather like the new 'Challenge Island' format thus couldn't resist to join in in the fun. As a place to make landfall‚ Sander's Sand Dunes‘ seemed like a good spot from where to explore the island in the company of a red clad Gladiator. Always a good idea to bring some muscle along when landing on a foreign coast, eh? Heading along the  Path of History‘ towards‚ Where X marks the spot‘ should be straight forward enough, but taking advantage of the one or other flight by Lady Sarah's Balloon Service could also prove to be a worthwhile distraction. After all the journey is the destination.


And as I'm a cheeky sod I'll also maximize the effect of my first foray into the heart of Challenge Island by offering up my trusty gladiatorial companion here as the entry fee to be paid for this most worthwile of endeavors. He's a brute of a man, but somehow I got a feeling, that it might need brains to claim the final prize.


So, this first submission to this years challenge should net me a rather handsome number of points by my reckoning:

- 5 pts for a single 28mm miniature
- 25 pts for the entry fee
- 30 pts for completing the ‚Sander's Sand Dunes‘ quest

60 points in total if my math is correct. As for whom I'd like to reward this miniature to I'd love to give it to the first fellow participant who's painting up a Gladiator himself. Failing that the first person having submitted a 'Roman' themed entry.

__________________________________

Welcome back to the Challenge, Nick!

Wow, you've treated this brutish fellow to your 'usual' beautiful brushwork. Nice and vibrant, with a few cuts and scrapes to show that he's been out mixing it up. I'll make a note to keep track for the first Gladiator or Roman entry - in fact, upon seeing this lovely figure I may have to get something cued up right now! 

In the meantime, Sarah Airways looks forward to booking your upcoming trip across Challenge Island. 

60 points for you, sir. Well done, Nick!


21 comments:

  1. Oh that is gorgeous Martin! I have a few Gladiators in the cue for this Challenge too and hope I do them as proud.
    A great opening salvo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is lovely, and clearly a candidate for "most points for a single model post!" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking first entry Nick...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely gladiator Nick. Welcome to the Island, does your chap want to join my workers collective as we are at the same location ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work. I love the cuts and scrapes on his arm and leg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Joey, do you like miniatures of gladiators?"

    That's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid looking gladiator!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done sir. A tough looking gladiator and a worthy first foray onto Challenge Island!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid looking arena-fodder. Great start to the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great looking fig 👍

    Regards Ken

    ReplyDelete
  11. Top shelf brushwork as always Nick, very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some really atmospheric stuff is going on with this chap, great rendition of a lovely figure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superb start to your challenge Martin. Cracking red; what is the secret?

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a luscious red, Martin! I like the pose he has too...that IS passive aggressive!;)
    Boy is Sanders Dunes getting crowded!

    ReplyDelete