Monday 20 November 2023

The 14th Annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge


We're nearing a month away from the first day of Winter, and with the season comes that feverish hobby event: The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge!   

This will be our 14th season of the Challenge and this year participants will be making their way through the aisles and bookstacks of the AHPC Library. More on this below. 


The Basics

The Painting Challenge will extend from the first day of Winter, 12:01 am December 21st, through to the first day of Spring, 12:01am March 19th, Central Standard Time (CST). (Yes, it's a leap year!)
Miniatures (i.e. figures, vehicles, artillery, terrain, etc.) can be prepared, assembled and primed prior to the start date, but you cannot start painting until December 21st. In order to gain full points. (Though there is a theme location which allows partial points for the completion of already started projects - see the AHPC Library below.) The figures should be based (if appropriate) and any planned groundwork completed. The figures have to be painted by you. 
The Challenge follows the honour system in the completion and entry of figures. 
Miniatures can be in any scale and in any genre (pulp-adventure, science-fiction, fantasy, etc.).
For purposes of scoring, participants will create draft blog posts of their wok on the  Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge blog. Up-to-date scoring (or as up-to-date as we can manage) will be managed by our intrepid team of Minions and displayed the blog's main page. 
I will send out an email to all participants a week or so prior to the event to provide additional details on submitting your entries to the Challenge blog.
An Important Note: All participants must have at least one entry submitted within the first four weeks of the event (i.e. January 21st). Failure to do so will result in being dropped from the Challenge roster. Yep, remember, this is not called a Challenge for nothing. :)
The Scoring

Below is an outline of the scoring that will be used for the Challenge. 
 
6mm foot figure = 0.5 point
6mm mounted figure, artillery piece or crew served weapon = 1 point
6mm vehicle = 2 points
10mm foot figure = 1 point
10mm mounted figure, artillery piece or crew served weapon = 3 points
10mm vehicle = 6 points 
15mm foot figure = 2 points
15mm mounted figure, artillery piece or large crew served weapon = 4 poin
ts
15mm vehicle = 8 points

20mm foot figure = 4 points
20mm mounted figure, artillery piece or crew served weapon = 8 points
20mm vehicle = 15 points

28mm foot figure = 5 points

28mm mounted figure, artillery piece or crew served weapon = 10 points
28mm vehicle = 20 points
40mm foot figure = 7 points
40mm mounted figure, artillery piece or crew served weapon = 15 points
40mm vehicle = 25 points
54mm foot figure = 10 points
54mm mounted figures, artillery piece or crew served weapon = 20 points
54mm vehicle, limber, etc. = 30 points 
Other scales, miscellaneous models/figures will be scored on a submission-by-submission basis. 


Terrain Submissions

We'll retain our 'imperfect-but-it-works'  6" cube format. In short, if your terrain piece (or collected terrain pieces) fills a 6" cube, you get 20 points. If your terrain submission would 'fill' multiple 6" cubes, then multiply 20 points for each cube of volume. 

Terrain filling the 6" cube on the left would be worth 20 points. The composite group on the right, made up of eight cubes, would be worth 160 points.

Example 1: I've painted three 28mm barrels and six trees. They would roughly fill a single 6" square cube. I would get 20 points for this. 

Example 2: I've constructed and painted a large 28mm manor that is approximately 12" wide, 14" long and 10" high. All in all, this would roughly take up 8 cubes worth of volume. This would give me 160 points.

Example 3: I've painted a few bits of scatter terrain. I estimate they only 'fill' around a 1/4 of a 6" square cube. This would get me 5 points.

Submissions of terrain should be sent in with a picture illustrating the scale of their work (a ruler laid alongside should do the trick). This will give your hard-working Minion a basis for scoring. Extra points for extra detail, scratch-built insanity, etc. will be left to the Minions to adjudicate as they see fit.  


Welcome to the 'AHPC Library'!

Those doughty Challengers who wish to to gain bonus points can enter the AHPC Library, browse the stacks, and engage with the various themed challenges found within. Here is a early draft of the Library map.


The Library will feature various locations which participants can explore by completing a themed hobby task. Once you've complete the task at a location you will get bonus points and will be clear to travel on to the next location on the map. 

Remember, participants do not need to engage with the Library to enjoy the Challenge, it is a voluntary diversion for those wishing to try some theme-based challenges.

In the next few days I'll follow up with another post laying out the specifics of the 'AHPC Library', its final layout, and its bonus themes.


Our Marvelous Minions

Keeping to form, I will serve as the Head Librarian / Tormentor-in-Chief / Dork-Lord, etc. etc., BUT I also have a happy group of 'Minions' to help me keep this all chugging along. Here are the wonderful people (and their assigned days) who have taken the Snowlord's Shilling to assist me in this year's Challenge:
  • Monday: SylvainR (Canada)
  • Tuesday: MartijnN (Belgium)
  • Wednesday: GregB (Canada)
  • Thursday: TeemuL (Finland)
  • Friday: Millsy (Australia)
  • Saturday: DallasE (Canada)
  • Sunday: KyleC (UK)
We also see the return of MilesR who will be our stats guru and PaulOG who will keep on top of the Duels (see below). Thank you guys for stepping up to help for this year's edition!

Signup, Personal Targets and Duels

For those wishing to participate please send me an email, providing the following information: 
1) your full name,
2) your country of residence, and 
3) your points target for the three months of the event (see below).
My email address is:
curtcampbell at mac dot com 
I will post a comment below when the roster has been filled and will follow-up with an email in a couple weeks detailing the specifics of the event.

Many participants have found the personal points targets to be a great incentive to maintain their pace over the three months of the Challenge. I encourage participants to pick a target that is just beyond your comfort zone, but still achievable. As a rough benchmark, 300 points is considered a manageable amount for someone who is new to the the event and/or has a busy work/life schedule. Also remember that a significant amount of points can be secured by adventuring in the 'AHPC Library' (more on this later).

Also, related to the points targets, many people have a lot of fun issuing 'paint duels' to other participants. This could be racing to meet a declared target, painting the most figures for a specific period, etc. We have our indomitable Minion, PaulOG, to keep track of the duels, but more on that in a later post.


The Cost of Entry

Last year we had great success with our donations to the Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation. Thank you again to all those supported this worthwhile cause.

As we have a library theme this year, I'm going to ask participants to donate to their local library. As we all know, these institutions are incredibly valuable to the social wellbeing of our societies, and often operate on a shoestring, so let's give them a little lift if we can. I leave it to participants to manage their own donation. Perhaps we can feature each of our local libraries in our future posts during the event. I think that would be quite interesting!

_______________________________________



Challenge XIV begins at 12:01am December 21st!

Now, sign up for the Challenge and get you minis assembled and primed!!  We'll see you on the start line in a few weeks!



76 comments:

  1. Email sent, 500 points, Christmas must be just around the corner!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful to have you with us again, Iain!

      Delete
  2. Email sent, and already have started to prep... Have a full T28 army and a ton of western stuff together and primed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on buddy! I'm particularly looking forward to your Turnipy goodness (as I'm sure DaveD is too). :)

      Delete
  3. Count me in please! As soon as I find the email address! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m in! 200 points as per usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consistency is everything...

      Delete
    2. Since I consistently fail to reach my target, I hope for some inconsistency this year!

      Delete
  5. Oh, heck! I forgot to reply to your email didn't I?

    You'd better count me in - it's probably the kick of the derriere that I need to break my painting funk of the last few months.

    While I'm at it, I'll also volunteer my services to be a guest minion if anyone needs their day covered - Senior Librarian has a certain ring to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Channel your inner orangutan

      Delete
    2. Delighted to have you with us again, Ms.P!

      Delete
    3. Ook! Waiting for all the jokes about the red haired librarian. :) Oh, the senior librarian, of course. ;)

      Delete
  6. I'm in, love the library, email on the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1000 points?! Really, are you kidding me? In all of the Challenges you've participated in, how many times have you blown past 1000 points by day 30? You are a sandbagger extraordinaire, Mr. Cook. Hang your head in shame. ;P

      Delete
    2. Maybe he meant 10,000? That sounds more reasonable given the usual final results.

      Delete
    3. true, you never know, this year I may just stick to it. Checks prepped pile and its 1000 pts. New target in January

      Delete
  7. Ok , let’s be doing it - 750 for me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredible! It smells like Christmas again! Of course I'm in, with 400 points. Email sent. Intriguing Library theme this year, Borges will be proud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to have Spain represented, Benito. See you at the start line!

      Delete
  9. Email sent. Now just praying for a dry day to get some undercoating done. I really don't fancy doing it by hand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In for a penny also!

    Email on its way

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great response, folks! At four hours in we're at 38, and climbing fast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo! Looking forward to the library- not least Tamsin's shushing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Email sent, hopefully there is a space available for my insanity this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to joining this year's Challenge; email on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a busy day and just saw this now. I’m in for 500 points, email sent. Barbarian conspiracy era Britain, Spanish American war naval.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Email sent! Another rather sedate 300 points for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If the roster isn't full I'm in for 1000pts, I'll flick you an email tonight

    ReplyDelete
  18. Email sent with a target of 2000 points. Really need the kick in the rear that this challenge always provides!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Email sent! First timer 400 points!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woo hoo! Been looking forward to this email!

    I'm in, 1000pts for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Curt, if a spot on the list is still available, Arthur and myself would like to enter this year yet again!

    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, love to join in again, 1000 points! E-mail pending. GT

    ReplyDelete
  23. What else would I be doing at this time of year 😁 I'm in for my usual 1500

    Regards Ken

    ReplyDelete
  24. I’m obviously delighted and much honoured to having been given the task of taking care of the Tuesday Tomes in the Library. However, since I suspect that, as an assistant Librarian, I will spend much time tracing lost volumes, sorting out returned books and putting the awesome new editions of the Challengers onto the display shelves I’ll limit myself to a modest 500 points this year. But I’m very happy that we are all once again at the starting line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We look forward to the 'Tuesday Tomes', Martjin!

      Delete
  25. Delighted as always to join in the madness!
    I'm in for a half tonne - telegram dispatched :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tis the Season to get the brushes ready and the priming done. Count me in, my email will be winging its way to you shortly. No big new project from me this year though. I've got lost of bits from earlier Challenge's that never got done and are still sitting primed and ready in boxes. Time to get them back on the paint table and 'Finish' those projects!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Once more into the breach, dear friends, once more or fill up the wall with our dead paint brushes and spent bottles of Vallejo....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A simple and humble 3K for me

      Delete
    2. A rational points estimate for you, The Miles Machine, or is that the Reidy Engine?

      Delete
    3. we prefer the term "finger painter colossus" as it both describes my process and girth in the same statement. Sure there is a bit of drop off on painting quality by dispensing with those pesky brushes but oh the increase in speed - it's breath-taking as long as one doesn't really look closely at the miniatures.

      Delete
  28. Entry sent and very much looking forward to a planned set of minis that I'll only receive on the 21st, so perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Look forward to joining you and everyone on the starting line. Please count me in! A (for me) very ambitious 500 points, please.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Email sent. Looking forward to wading through the pile of opportunity and seeing all the progress by all.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi everyone. First time in the challenge and really looking forward to seeing how many grey plastics and resin miniatures I and my fellow challengers can bring to life with brush and paint. Good luck all and someone surely needs to paint a Conan the Librarian miniature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I omitted metal miniatures in my previous post. That's worth a good old Monty Python stoning.

      Delete
  32. What has a year passed already! Email coming through and will rouse my brother from his painting slumber as well! I am looking at 25mm Biblical reinforcements and some Arthurian characters! Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  33. Best wishes to all, would love to be included again this year and have just dropped you a line Curt - regards Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  34. Half a league, half a league, Half a league onward... appreciate the opportunity to join again this year, this time with a complete overreach of a points target. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Email sent!! Oh it's the most wonderful time of the year indeed. Due to the doggo and now 1yr old little chap, I'm staying safe with a very modest target, but I'm dreaming big old top 10 dreams. The core of this year is to see how many of the 6mm lead pile I can bring to the table, but I'm sure the "Oh shiny..." will strike moments after the starting gun sounds! Good luck with the preparations all, see you in a month!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Okay, that's it folks. We're filled to capacity for this year's Challenge. We start painting in earnest in a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hey Curt, if we didn't hear back from an entry email do we take it as read that we didn't get in? No stress if not, you do such an amazing job each year, and being a spectator will be just as fun and certainly less stressful 😁

      Delete
    3. Sorry Tom, it's been a hellaciously busy week. I'm trying to catch up on my correspondence as best I can - please be patient! :)

      Delete
  37. Looks like all the challengers were eager to get started this year.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Bugger, this would have served as motivation to start painting again!!! Best of luck one and all!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh no. I’ve been checking every day but obviously my browser hasn’t been loading new posts. I’m bummed to have missed it this time around as o was so looking forward to it and have my figures all ready. Too bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had google Calander send me a reminder every half hour! LOL

      Delete
  40. Finally may have figured out how to comment on Blogger. Excited to start Challenge XIV and once more pick up my dusty brushes. See y’all soon!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Please sign me up for 750pts
    I may finally get my painting mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Well now everyone will be madly gluing prepping and undercoating, good luck to everyone with your targets, I look forward to seeing all the lovely figures

    ReplyDelete
  43. Looking forward to sharing the painting madness with all of you once more!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Replies
    1. Sorry, the roster is full for this year.

      Delete
  45. This is my first entry in this challenge. Good luck to all of you in reaching your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will love it. It's a hoot and a huge boon to ones painting mojo.

      Delete
  46. New the challenge and think I made a mistake with my first submission. I took pictures, made some comments, then created the draft. I may have 'published' it as I got this message. Also I'm not sure if I am supposed to assign points or if others will do that.

    (READY for Wed - DO NOT Self Publish) ShawnD 28MM Forest Troll gunners 30 points(?)

    Such a great experience (even though this is my first challenge) I've been terrified tbh to put paint to a model. This really gives me a boost!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete