Saturday 26 January 2019

From HerrRobert: Frostgrave - The Skeleton Sentry (5 points)

My first figure entered, though not the first figure painted, is


Having craftily challenged Iannick to a duel based on something I could win, skill not output, I obviously needed to get hustling on some undead. So here we are:

Papers please!
He's a single Games Workshop Skeleton, from their five member Skeleton Warriors box:


These are three part plastic, and all slotta based. I've always been fond of Games Workshop's skeletons, but never got around to building an Undead army. I borrowed one, once, and my opponent thought it monstrously unfair that I advanced my skellies in columns behind a single rank of zombies. Great fun. But, given how slowly I paint, I really should stick to high points cost armies like Chaos or Dwarves. So there was no real need for GW skellies, especially as Fantasy ended and I had no taste for Age of Sigmar. Until 


If you've played Frostgrave, then you know you need quite a range of creatures as your bestiary of random encounters and scenario villains, even before Thaw of the Lich Lord came out. For extra fluff, if you've got a Necromancer, then it makes sense to make his warband out of undead. Which I may well do.

Obligatory butt shot
 
Having been less than thrilled by either my ability to paint freestyle cobblestones, I decided to experiment. So the first thing I did was cut the slot off, file the feet down, and then glue him to a plastic cobblestone Renedra base.


After that, he got primed black. I followed with my usual cream triad (Delta Ceramicoat Bamboo, then Apple Barrel Toasted Marshmallow, then Delta Ceramicoat Antique White). His shield was done in Vallejo Burnt Cadmium Red, then Game Color Blood Red. Armor was done in Reaper's Blackened Steel, then hit with Game Colors Flesh Wash. Leather was a cheap craft paint Brick Red, then Vallejo's Red Leather.
It frustratingly flowed from the helmet onto the skull
Once I had all the colors done, I hit him with Army Painter Strong Tone brushed on. I had trialed it on an Empire Gray Wizard last challenge, and liked how it made bones look dusty.

For the base, I painted it in Delta Ceramicoat Charcoak Gray, then dry brushed it with Hippo Gray, Taupe, and then Country Gray. To show that Frostgrave is both decaying and coming back to life, I glued some winter tufts on to show where grass has punched through the cobblestones. I finished it up with some snow.

Much better than rubble
And so there we go. He doesn't look too evil a chap. More like a sentry than a malevolent remains of a former adventurer, now animated by fell magics.

Remember, folks, Frostgrave is a dangerous place. Enter entirely at your own risk
So that puts me on the board, with 5 points! No culling for me. But don't worry, I've got more figures done and photographed, just needing to be blogged. Plus more on the painting table. You might even see more of these fellows:


__________________________

WooHoo! HerrRobert is on the board! Weee!

Brilliant skellie, Rob. With the strong tone wash he looks the aged veteran. I especially like the winter cobblestone groundwork - very effective.  I'm sure Iannick will take-up the gauntlet (bone?) and return with his riposte soon.

Great to have you on the scoreboard, Rob. Bring on the rest of your hoarded work soon - we want to see it all!


13 comments:

  1. Dem bones, den bones, den dry bones. Nice work on the smelly Robert. Let's see what Yannick has to reply with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skellies are fun!

      Got some zombies I need to work on, along with wraiths and the like. Not done with the undead yet!

      Delete
  2. Very nice, can't wait to see more of your Fellstad stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I've got a Reaper sorceress and apprentice just awaiting tufts, and a captain in the queue, so I can guarantee more.

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking skeleton!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to have to get some of those cobblestone bases - excellent work on this bony lad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renedra sells them pretty cheap.

      The hard part is hacking the bases off figures, especially metal ones. Slotta bases are the easiest, but a lot of non-GW figures have thick plastic or metal bases. Clipping can be a real pain. Normally I would just grind the base away with a belt sander, but machine shops and apartment living do not mix.

      Delete
  5. Nice work on the skeleton, well done.

    ReplyDelete