Saturday 26 January 2019

From Jamie M - Rebel scum - 175 points

I present to you some rebels from the Star Wars Legion game.  Even though I decided that I wasn't going to get the figures or play this game.  Even though it was Star Wars, a truly formative trilogy for me as I was growing up.  Even when one of my mates got some imperials...... but then there was a bargain lot on ebay and down the rabbit hole I went!

This is the contents of 2 starter sets (so a fair bit of repetition) and one extra purchase as I got the freedom fighters/terrorists out of the starter.  First up the PBI:
 Nothing too exciting for these, jut a mix of earthy tones for the uniform.  You only get one alien sculpt in the set though, so I did some head swaps to promote a couple of them, including as a sargeant here.
Close up and then from the back to show what they're carrying.
I found these..... somewhat dull to work with.  The sculpts were ok.  The faces were a little soft and they just weren't that inspiring unfortunately.
 I mainly used drybrushing for highlights as I hadn't done much of it in a while..... and, if I'm honest, it's a quick way to highlight and I really just wanted to get this lot done.  Still, I'm pretty happy how they look together and  I enjoyed giving some of them hipster beards to add some variety!
 Next up is the additional purchase.  I have absolutely no idea what it does in the game (apart from shoot things with extreme prejudice!), but I just had to get one when I saw it in my local games shop.  Why?  Because I had the toy version of it when I was little!  It came in four parts and if you pressed the back of the base it "blew up" and there was something pleasing about owning a gaming model of a toy I had as a child.
 I kept to a similar colour as the toy was.  The crew were somewhat vexing though....
 ..... because the infantry painted earlier are dressed for temperate conditions (based on endor figures I guess), but the crew for this gun were dressed in snow gear for Hoth.  Even though FFG don't produce Hoth infantry.  Sigh.  So a few head swaps later to tie the crew in (and to help provide a little more variety in the infantry) and the crew look like they're wearing similar gear to the infantry.
 The game works off arcs a lot for vehicles, so I compromised on the basing and had some of the arc on the base shown through.

Last, but by no means least, the walkers.  No idea which bit of the canon these come from, but they're in the starter set which is a good enough reason for me to paint them!
 Another promotion for one of the alien heads.

 Don't know what the weapons do, so I went for one of each of the options (ignoring the option that's the same as the infantry heavy weapon).

Really good to get them done as they were one of those jobs just hanging around that I needed to encourage myself to get done.  I think this is enough for a decent sized game too so I'm looking forward to trying the game out soon.

For scoring I've gone for 24 infantry plus 4 crew gives me 140 points and then the vehicles/guns counted as crew served weapons for another 30?

From guest minion DaveD

The first big entry for the weekend - more star wars goodness - i have been enjoying the various entries. I have topped your points up a little for the extra size of the walkers - which also look really cool!

14 comments:

  1. Great looking Star Wars rebels, love the walkers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fierce looking bunch. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are just brilliant Jamie. I really like your vibrant paint style on these models - they just pop. I also love that you did up the gun emplacement purely because you had it in it's toy form as a child - I can totally get behind the call of nostalgia. Really awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice quality painting. I especially like the job you've done on the gun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent, now where is the boob-nipple gun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Jamie! You continue to be a whiz with conversions too. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff Jamie, especially the head swaps. And you gotta love an arsenal built on the principal of "no idea what it does, but it looks cool"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your conversions really make this an unique force Jamie! As far the joy of having games' versions of toys previously owned: my entire GI Joe collection is based on that feeĺing so I can relate.

    ReplyDelete