Saturday 22 February 2020

JamesM: 3mm Ultramarine Terminator Detachment (Burch's Bluff) - 75 points

Hi folks,

Having planned for a little while to do some more work on my 3mm Sci-Fi collection, I thought a great entry for Burch's Bluff's would be some of my Vanguard Miniatures. These are actually 3mm Novan Elite Siege Breakers with 'Striker' heavy AFV's.

I've painted them up as part of my 'Calth' Horus Heresy collection. These are good proxies for Ultramarine Terminators and Spartan Assault Tanks.

The nice thing about this unit is I can also use different transport options such as Vanguard Maulers (Land Raider proxies), drop pods or flyers.

Gaming wise, Vanguard are working on their own system, but I have also been thinking about options for Epic40k or for the new Titanicus rules.


These are obviously small miniatures, but given Vanguard make 'truescale' models, these mini's are about 6mm vehicle size.



The infantry figures themselves are lovely.



Which makes it mental that I spent the time doing shoulder pad edging and knee pad colours. Plus weapons. I also added some Ultramarine decals to the Spartan proxies.

The bases are a mix of using miliput for craters and such, along with some of the interesting GW Agrellan Earth texture paints. I black edged the bases as well, just as they looked a bit cleaner.

Total figures:

6 x 3mm vehicles (which are large 6mm size models): 12 points
65 x 3mm infantry (which are 6mm sized models): 33 (32.5 rounded up) points
Location bonus: 30 points

Total: 75 points

***
This is a superb little entry here JamesM, although I could be playing favourites and be a little biased towards you since my middle name is James, so technically I am a JamesM as well.  Silliness aside....

Firstly, the figures look great and the details super crisp on them for something so small, I have never heard of the company before but will certainly check them out after seeing these!  Secondly, your painting of them is great!  Super clean and clear for such a small scale.  I also really like the little added details on the bases as it brings come character to the larger bases you are using.

I don't know of many rule sets out there for sci-fi in small scale, but I do know of Epic Armageddon (the last version of Epic that GW put out, probably 10+ years ago) and Greg, Curt, and I have had many great games with it.  It is fast, easy, and unlike any of their core rule sets actually a pretty good set of rules!  I would dig up a copy of those and just use them as a starting point.

- ByronM 

13 comments:

  1. Nice work on these tiny guys James. Love the blue, love the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work James, they look spiffing, if tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top work, need to fix you obsession with painting the shoulder pads though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super looking teeny tiny ultramarine types! Lovely clean work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely job - must be quite a force you've built up now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great James and color contrast between the units and the base is very appealing.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nicely done! As Byron mentioned, we play the "Epic: Armageddon" rules for our small 30k and 40k battles, and it is a tremendous set of rules, so I certainly recommend those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks folks! I'll check out the 'Epic Armageddon' rules. Might just have to substitute individual squad stands for platoon stands... But the Horus Heresy battles were supposed to be grand affairs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'd also recommend checking out Vanguard's 6mm range. Some great stuff that can be used as proxies. https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/product-category/defeat-in-detail-6-8mm/tusculum-nova/novan-elites-troops/

    ReplyDelete