Friday 5 January 2024

From Kerry T - Not little Gingerbread men and a bunch of guys all called Norman (420 points)

Morning, afternoon and evening all

With apologies to Miles Millsy! [Whilst Miles is a decent enough chap his Aussie "accent" is truly horrible] for my late post I have once again reminded myself that I have not learned from last year's challenge - again I've left it until the last minute to finish an entry, thinking I had sufficient time to complete this a few days ago only to re-discover that the finishing touches take much more time than I normally allocate. Maybe next week I'll bite off less and finish an entry in good time.

This is my second entry  so I've tried to keep it simple (my minion after all is an Aussie so I better had 😁- couldn't resist - wonder how many points he'll knock off for that😟!)

Below the belt eh? Yep and so are these...

Dwarves - Dwarf slayers from Avatars of War to be precise

See yoo Jimmy, you may be made of metal and GW but I'm bigger than yooo


The Dwarf Slayer Regiment

I rediscovered my old GW Dwarves last year and have been rebasing and tidying them up and decided I needed some more slayers and because of the unavailability or prohibitive costs of the old GW sculpts from the 90s looked around for an acceptable and affordable additions. These came in the shape of this Avatars of War plastic regiment which I think are quite affordable at 35Euros for 20 figures (for some reason mine were 4 short but with their GW cousins this will give me a regiment of 24 figures



second from left figure shows some "one upmanship"!


A reasonable match, the middle figure is from GW 

These 16 dwarves make up my Fantasy entry for the library

Next up some unimaginatively named blokes called Norman

These are my new acquisition entry, having  been purchased only recent from Victrix

Plastic Norman Crossbowmen

 

There are 36 figures in the box, 18 armoured and 18 unarmoured giving a reasonable variety of poses that are quick and easy to paint - just as well as you can'y have too many Cross Normans



As usual I can't make up my mind about basing





12 are based singly in case I want to play a skirmish game

Finally the reason the post was late- as usual the cavalry arrive just in the nick of time...
Victrix plastic Norman Cavalry - a pack of 12 figures in a mix of mail and scale armour






Shields from LBSM



These are lovely figures to paint, the horses especially, my only concern is the passible brittle nature of the plastic lances, I broke two while painting. I've held off giving them a standard in case I end up replacing the spears with wire ones.

In Summary

16 x 28mm Dwarf figures @5 points = 80 points
36 x 28mm Norman Crossbowmen @5points = 180 points
12 x 28mm Cavalry figures @ 10 points =120

Fantasy bonus @ 20 points
New Acquisition bonus @ 20 points

Total 420 points
2 squirrels

From Millsy: Sneaking in at the last moment Kerry! Given you must have needed a week to photograph this lot I'll forgive you this time :-P

The Slayers are brilliant and I'd bet on them vs. a bunch of Normans any day, even ones painted as well as these. I think (speaking from experience) that you'll find the lances more robust than you think. I've bounced more than my share of plastic cavalry across the room with little in the way of damage.

This lot bumps you up to second place at least for the time being. Well done!

45 comments:

  1. Those Normans are great, well worth the wait til last minute! I personally like the dwarfs, especially the old GW dwarfs, but this time you Normans steal the show. Good work, Kerry, although I'm bit shocked that you don't know how to spell the name of your minion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With apologies to Millsy and thanks to you Teemu

      Delete
  2. Great work Kerry. Love those Normans especially and the cavalry really came out a treat. Great photography too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, I painted a load of horses during Christmas week to get ahead

      Delete
  3. Nice work indeed Kerry. Really like those Normans and your castle rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, maybe Castlerock would be a good name

      Delete
  4. The slayers are magnificent Kerry. Quite a points bomb. I enjoyed the Normans as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bruce the detail is simple on them but they seem to take paint well

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Dave , now that I have a breather I'm going to catch up on what others have produced in the past 2 days

      Delete
  6. I love those old school dwarves... great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Byron, so do I - I've managed to pick up some decent matches from Blacktree design. I so regret not buying more GW ones in the 90s but they were so expensive

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Cheers, Victrix have really taken my eye, they're also so versatile and can be used over several armies - I have some glued up as Andalusian cavalry

      Delete
  8. I love those Norman Cavalry- I have a bag of them myself I hope to get ti one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff mate, some really cracking units 👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ken, I'm back to work now and won't be so productive in the coming weeks

      Delete
  10. Lovely work! The castle is a great backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks its mainly bits from Tabletop workshop by Northstar with towers from Renedra and Ziterdes

      Delete
  11. Super work on the dwarves and the Normans, and it looks like you have some cracking scenery to play them on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, tarted up TSS terrain tiles that I brought to NZ with me 24 years ago

      Delete
  12. I am always impressed when someone paints so many horses and still sounds happy and sane. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, I enjoy painting horses and have a quick method https://valleyboyinnz.wordpress.com/2018/12/02/speed-painting-horses/ I find it best to paint in large numbers

      Delete
  13. Fabulous brushwork Kerry! I especially like those Slayers. So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt I think I'm going to get more AOW plastic regiments in time

      Delete
  14. Very nicely done, the dwarves are particularly good

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a lot of dwarf slayers! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a slayer who was not Ginger!

      Delete
  16. Nice collection - and nice painting! That's quite the haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I was lucky to have a fair bit of spare time over the New Year- productivity will slow down now!

      Delete
  17. It's a great entry, and I liked specially the dwarfs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, they take paint so easily

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great looking figures, Kerry. I especially like the Normans. Maybe the dwarves aren't gingerbread, but perhaps gingerbeard.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, as Lucky Luke has been told many times the cavalry is always on time! Even just. Well done Kerry, a great collection and fine painting. I recognize your basing dilemma!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing array of minis, even though I only paint historical I have to say my favorite is the dwarfs they are so good

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done Kerry. I'm curious, re: the Victrix cav, where they tall sculpts? I find Victrix's other 28mm offerings to be rather huge chaps...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Greg, no I don't think so, the horses seem a little wider in the back end compared to say Perry. Their bases are quite big though and I wonder if that is what gives the impression of being large - I don't really know, maybe I'll try some comparison pictures next time

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really enjoy these Normans, you've done good work with these, the shields on the cavalry have come out very nicely!

    ReplyDelete