Friday 5 January 2024

From Geoffrey T: Library Rampage (New Acquisitions, History, Children's Books, Overdues, 170 points, 1 skull)

 Hello Challengers and happy new year to all.

After a belated start to the challenge with visitors for the festive season, I am now underway with two submissions, both for the silver bayonet game.

The first is a new acquisition, which is two monsters for the Canadian war of 1812 supplement written by Ash Barker.  Brand new miniatures from North Star to go with a brand new supplement.

Here we have a Wendigo and a Baxbaxwaluksiwe, the latter of which I have never heard of before.  It is quite bizarre, covered in many hungry biting mouths.  It was quite hard to paint.




The second submission is some napoleonic Spanish fusiliers I sculpted moulded and cast myself.  They are pretty basic.  They lost a fair bit of sharpness when drop cast as well.  But still making your own figures makes one feel like a real naploeonic wargamer.  These I am claiming as historical, because I even looked in a book to find the uniform design and colours rather than just making it up.



Third I have classic protagonists from Children's books, goats and trolls.

Here is 5 goats from Eureka Miniatures.  Livestock is surprisingly useful in a number of games.  Sharp Practice 2, Ghost Archipelago and here I expand my collection of goats for Forbidden Psalm's expansion campaign.



Then we have three trolls.  One troll can be defeated by three goats.  I do not know how 5 goats goes v 3 trolls.  These will be used in Frostgrave and silver bayonet, and anywhere I use a cobblestone gaming mat.

They are from Grenadier miniatures, of which I picked up a hundred or so old metal minis at a game shop moving sale, they dredged out their old stock and put it on sale.  I was stoked.  It is what I like to buy anyway, to get it on sale was great.



Finally for this week I have five old skool miniatures to add to my 'slow grow' Warhammer Fantasy Battles 3rd edition armies.  These are certainly Overdue projects, by about 30 years.

Four empire halberdiers my marauder miniatures, circa 1991 or so.



One skeleton standard bearer from Grenadier, about the same age.  I was quite pleased to pick this one up as I was short a standard for one unit and had been using a gibbet as a substitute.

This skeleton also has a skull for the skullz challenge.


Total for this post is

40mm - Five monsters about 40mm tall = 5 x 7 = 35 points

28mm - three fusiliers, four halberdiers and one skeleton = 8 x 5 = 40 points

15mm - 5 goats, nominally 28mm scale but quite small = 5 x 2 =10 points

New acquisitions, History, Childerns books and Overdue books shelves = 4 x 20 = 80 points

Grand total = 165 points and 1 skull.

King Regards

Geoff.

From Millsy: Silver Bayonet is such a great game and its wonderful to see others playing. I've not yet managed to get my hands on the new wave of minis but your wendigo in particular is seriously tempting me Geoffrey!

Having cast my own minis way back when I started gaming I can attest to how much fun it is. Kudos to you for going the extra mile and making your own minis though, that is seriously impressive especially given the elegance of your sculpts. These are fit to grace any table and worth another 5 points bonus for being your own work.

The Empire halberdiers are also gorgeous and a subject dear to my own heart. Please can we have more???

17 comments:

  1. So much to like in this post, Geoffrey! Too bad you are no longer in the Thor's Day crew. :) I hope there would be a Grenadier sale somewhere here, but nobody sells any Grenadier here anyway... Those trolls are great, I guess I have one of those or similar somewhere myself. And the Silver Bayonet monsters, they do look monstrous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, home cast figures, goats and lovely hand painted shields.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post Geoffrey. The old Skoool halberds make me very jealous. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great entry Geoff, love the old figures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the nice comments. The halberdiers are indeed very cool minis, not to commonly available tho after 30 years. I think some of the old Grenadier minis are sold thru Mirliton or someone now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I particularly like the Wendigo and Baxbaxwaluksiwe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work Geoff, I love the mix of minis and the great painting. Fingers crossed that the goats survive the trolls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work on all the figures. The Baxbaxwaluksiwe reminds me of some Cthulhu monstrosities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much to admire here. I can't choose a favourite! Love the Baxbaxwaluksiwe, but I also so admire your home sculpts and casts. Reminds me of a previous Challenger JohnB's work. Like Millsy, my heart melts with seeing those venerable halberdier's too.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cracking old school goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the castings, like to do my own as well. Very satisfying

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kudos for casting your own. Proper old school toy soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent painted monsters! and a very unique design. As for the Spanish Napoleonics troops, there was nothing like uniformity in these armies until probably the very late stages of the Peninsular War and mainly using captured French and British supplied uniforms

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a terrific post some wonderful skill with the brush so many great colours.

    ReplyDelete