Friday 5 January 2024

From StuartL - Everyone Knows Me - Statue of a Famous Person + Library Cart - 100 Points

Hello again,

    My second post for today is for the Statue of a Famous Person section, or in this case, a statue of a  famous anthropomorphized concept. Looking through my various boxes at the start of the challenge, I came across this piece of terrain by Reaper that I thought would fit the theme, a statue of death. Since everyone who ever has or ever will exist, will eventually meet death, I think it counts as being pretty famous. It also adds 1 skull for my total. 
 

    At the same time I painted the statue, I also painted a second piece of terrain, a Japanese o-haka, or a grave in English. In Japan they don't really bury their dead, nor do they fully cremate them. Instead they burn the bodies until only the bones remain. Then, the family select some of the bones and place them inside a specially prepared box. This box is then placed inside the o-haka. Once a year, during August, they believe that the spirits of their ancestors and departed family members return to their homes. Families go back to their hometowns, clean up the o-haka and pray for the souls of the dead. It is a good way to remember those who have left us and it gathers the whole family together. 
    If you have been following the news about Japan recently, we have had a pretty awful start to the year with a big earthquake in the prefecture of Ishikawa, followed by a plane crash in Tokyo. I have in-laws who live near Ishikawa (who are thankfully, all safe and fine), but this has been quite a worrying time for us all. Japan lies atop several major fault lines and big earthquakes are a constant risk unfortunately. It is a wonderful country to live in, but at times it can be terrifying.

    On a rather more positive (and miniatures) related note, as well as the statue above, I also have some Anglo-Saxons that I painted up on a whim.


    The figures are all from Gripping Beast's plastic range and are fairly simple and straightforward to assemble and paint. 

    And to pay for my trip on the library cart, I have another Reaper mini, a rather grim and gritty looking axewoman. This should pay for my jaunt over to the Maritime area.


For scoring:
11x 28mm minis = 55 points
2x small terrain pieces = 5 points (because I hate math and it seems right - Millsy)
Statue of a Famous Person = 20 points
Sarah's Library Cart = 20 points
TOTAL = 100 Points

For my duels:
Skulls +1 = 33 Skulls
Legions +0 = 140 Points


From Millsy: A fine second entry for the day Stuart. You may be the first person to ever use the words "Anglo-saxons" and "on a whim" in the same sentence but I have no proof of that so you will have to just trust I am right because I am a minion and we're never wrong :-P. You gave yourself a measly 1 point for the terrain which seems daft so I upgraded you to 5. What's not to like about a 500% increase?

15 comments:

  1. Nice work, Stuart! I have been thinking something similar for a statue, since I don't seem to have any real persons in miniature. Or may be something a bit artistic or abstract. Let's see if I ever get to the statue topic... Yes, the anglo-saxons look great, they should look good around that statue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Stuart, plus i learned a bit about Japanese funeral culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Stuart. Thoughts to you and yours. A really enjoyable submission.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see more Dark Ages figures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, those statues are the biz 👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea with the statue Stuart, very clever

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear everyone is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the idea for the statue. Hope the aftershock are non events and things quiet down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, I'm happy that you and your loved ones are safe. As to the minis, great work and I especially like the statue and Japanese o-haka. Oddly enough, I have one of these that I'm working on for my Hametsu collection. It's interesting to hear about the funerary rights related to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever statue and interesting backstory on the funeral rights

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice entry Stuart, and great to hear you're all OK. I'll be in Tokyo in February on a business trip, if you're in that part of Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Japan has not had the best start of the year for sure, happy to know you ad yori relatives are in good shape. The statue is a great ide for the Library topic, gave some food for thought. Overall great post

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post Stuart! Happy that you and your loved ones are alright, and a very informative and interesting cultural backstory too. I live the statue, very bright idea, and the Anglo-Saxons! I have been working on some myself. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this entry Stuart, statue is perfect, and I like the shield wall. Keep them coming

    ReplyDelete