Saturday 3 February 2018

From PeteF: We Stand Together - or "Oh Yes, I said some words" (6 points)

Project 4 is Game of Thrones conversions. This week I finished a treacherous Frey bannerman.


Frey soldier - usually late for battle

His head is from the Frostgrave soldiers sprue - where one of the heads has the Frey signature rubbish looking cap thingy - and his body is from Gripping Beast's Dark Ages Warriors. The shield also came from Frostgrave Soldiers. Since he is a Frey he has no neck, and possibly no spine. If you are not familiar with the show - the Freys are lilly-livered bad guys who get the upper hand through deceit. Their castle is The Twins with a keep each side of a big river, joined by a bridge.




The shield was handpainted - I'm wondering if these would look better if I printed them onto transfer paper (something I'm thinking of using for Project 8 - Samurai).

For guidance I got hold of Painting War: Dark Ages - I love the Painting War magazines/books for their ideas on colours (you can never have too many pots of paint, although now it's so difficult to find the right one I've accidentally bought some duplicates) and techniques. I tried layering/glazing for the tunic using the monk's habit recipe from the book. I have a way to go before getting Alberto Mateos level results!


Opponents say this is the most common view of a Frey - although not this close 
Only one figure this week - partly due to the musician project and partly due to burnout from last week's highlanders.



1 x 28mm foot. 5 points. Gripping Beast and North Star.

__________________________________________

Well done Pete, at least you managed to get something painted and posted, I failed again this week.  Lovely conversion and just look at that freehand painting on the shield.  5 points for the miniature and another 1 point for the skill! 

12 comments:

  1. That's brilliant, Pete! That really looks very Frey-like in my mind's eye. I think the shield painting is perfect - and much better than a transfer. It really makes the figure come alive. The brown and grey clothing are also perfect for the unpleasant, treacherous Freys. Top marks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice conversion work and a lovely painted shield!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. The freehand is indeed very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work especially on the shield.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Pete - I'll second what Sidney has to say about the shield- hand paint them all the way. That one looks smashing. Great work on the face too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a creepy-looking Frey - and well done on that shield, Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great brushwork Pete. 'I've accidentally bought some duplicates' ... Oh boy, can I ever sympathize with you on that statement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I understood this setting at all - otherwise I expect this post be so much funnier to read...

    But that is excellent work, especially on the shield (although to preserve sanity, decals are encouraged...). Well done Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a wonderfully expressive face, and the hat is perfect.

    ReplyDelete