Saturday 3 February 2018

From BrendonW: Goblin Legion (180 points)

32 x Goblin Infantry and 2 x Goblin Cavalry, 28mm, Plastic, Games Workshop.

The addition of the Spider riding goblins gives no game bonus. It's just my way of adding to the look of the unit and help fill up the huge base. I had no intention of adding them when I started this unit but the idea popped into my head when I thought the base was looking a little sparse.  Game wise perhaps this can help with identifying a unit with a magic item perhaps. This is a Legion size unit for Kings of War. A Legion in Kings of War rules represents 60 infantry on 20mm square bases. I would rather not paint 60 Goblins for only one unit.



The two Spider dudes are actually the first of more to come as the Army will get it's own Cavalry unit or two. Actually that will be my goal for the next submission.


Originally in the incomplete Night Goblins on Spiders project way, way back when I was making them for Warhammer I painted them black with Red stripes. For this project they are Brown with almost White stripes. Here in Australia we have many poisonous spiders and I am more fearful of a bite from a White Tail than a Red Back. Go Google what happens....I dare you.  These evil Goblin spiders look nothing like real White Tails.....but they have a White stripe or two :). 
Some of you may have noticed that these formerly hard shell spiders now have hairy bodies. I achieved this by gluing the same green flock as the base on them then spray with primer to help seal it on. Some of the spider sculpts have a skull pattern and that just did not appeal to me so flocking them takes care of that.



There is enough gaps on this base that I hope to fill with more Goblins but I want to keep the unit construction going so I will see how far I can stretch my collection.

Cheers from Brendon


Minion bit here... :)


_____________________________________

You've really hit your stride with these Goblins Brendon, another awesome stand Sir!  I love the colour palette that you are using and the introduction of the spider cavalry is just inspired.  Ingenious idea to give them that hairy body look too, although I have to confess that I have not been brave enough to go and Google spider bites yet - far too early in the morning for all that.  Absolutely splendid work and a smashing 180 points to the tally.

17 comments:

  1. Those are great, Brendon...I love the spiders and the look of the unit. Super basing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice gobbos and spiders Brendon - great basing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely done, I love the terrain on the base.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely colours, placing and basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those spiders are grizly awesomeness mate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another excellent unit here Brendon. I really like the non-GW colour choices and look here. It makes them look like something completely new.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great legion of gobbos here, and I love your idea to flock the spiders to make them hairy and hide the skullz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Giant hairy poisonous Australian spiders - you're confirming internet stereotypes here Brendon. Nice work on the Gobbos and I like what you did with the spiders as long they keep well away from me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hairy spiders most effective, if a trifle scary to our brethren in the Northern Hemisphere!

    Great looking legion there, Brendon, the army grows apace!

    Sidenote: I was once bitten by a white tail spider - maybe in about a million years I'll want to do that again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good lord, you Antipodean chaps have just cured me of every wanting to travel to Australia. I can't tell you how much I'm scared of spiders...

      Delete
    2. I'm one of the lucky ones - only 10% of those bitten get the tissue necrosis, I just had a horrid rash for six months.

      Delete
  10. Another terrific unit Brendon. I really like your approach to the Legion unit 'rules'. It far more creative and interesting, to my mind, than the same 60 figures in boring ranks. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb work on these! I love the addition of the spiders to this base.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking unit Brendon! Those additional spiders really are a great addition to the unit. Suits the horde image of Goblins with a mishmash of gobbos with different weapons and equipment just rushing forward as a mass

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! It looks really good as a whole, superb.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m really enjoying this army.

    ReplyDelete