Thursday 21 February 2019

DaveS - Northern Alliance Vanguard Forces

I recently had a test game of Vanguard, and really liked it.  I've already painted one of the trolls from my starter, and so now I've been working on some of the troops.  These are all made from Mantic's hard plastic, and frankly, the material is horrible.  It tears if you scrape mold lines, it bends, and it has casting lines through detail.  Enough whining though.

These have been painted with an aim of using a small palette and sharing the blues with the troll.  They have also given me an opportunity to test out some ideas for winter themed bases.

I started with Huscarls.  These will form the backbone of my line in the game.  Reasonably good fighters, with spears.  I've painted them using a single shaded and highlighted shade of brown for all of the fabrics and fur, and then picked out details in metal and gold.



The bases are done with sand, and then have a mix of white paint, PVA and Army Painter snow applied to give the snow piles.  These are then covered with more army painter snow.  The Ice is made using Vallejo crackle medium over blue, and then overpainted white and gloss varnish.



These are the Half-Elf fighters from the starter.  Same palette and the hair is a lighter shade of the fur on the Troll.


Finally, the Half-Elf Berserker.  This is painted in the same manner as the other models.  I'm not sure of the effectiveness of these in the game.  This, coupled with the fact that I am not keen on the sculpt, and that the model keeps falling off its base, mean that I have only painted one of them so far.

By my reckoning, this is 6 28mm models, so 30 points.  While this is a slowdown from my rates with my earlier models, I have just started a 15mm Roman Army, so with any luck there will be a lot of points from that coming soon.

Lovely looking frozen waste fantasy types,I particularly like the blue on the spears, the range of browns are great and your basing is excellent,30 points it is!

All the best Iain

13 comments:

  1. Oh wow - inferior plastic (which is 80% of the plastic out there)...but never mind the sympathy rant, those figures all look great! Just shows how fine brush work will carry the day with any figure, no matter the challenges. Great work.

    And the snow on the basing looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good whine, nice work on the figures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Greg even for bad plastic, this stuff is pretty dreadful. But I'll stop now, and thanks for all the nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grumps aside, these look terrific. I really like the leather effect you achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The models have painted up nicely despite the material. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The painting is excellent. It's a great selection of brown tones and they look very natural. Excellent baseing. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despite the obstacles, you've produced some terrific work - being able to rescue a fig from ignominious defeat is one of the great things about this hobby, and you've succeeded admirably!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice indeed, don’t see many half elves these days so really nice to see them .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like these, Dave! Excellent brushwork on the furs and leathers. The snow and ice on the basing is really great too. Although the plastic is horrible, you have almost tempted me into a set!

    ReplyDelete