Thursday 21 February 2019

From PeterD Bridges and 28mm SYW Battalion Gun 36points

Grenadiers de France and Nassau Prince Louis meet at a river crossing. 


After nearly three weeks of not posting, I finally have a couple of small items ready to go.  I've been distracted by the return of my wife after she spent a few weeks looking after her mum post surgery and then by the man flu.  The annoying thing is that I've got a number of figures and units almost complete but just didn't have the energy to get to them.

First up are two wooden railed bridges from Sarissa Precision.  These have been finished and in my terrain box for about a month.  Originally the plan was to post these as part of a larger group for the Water Feature bonus round.  But the rest of the larger group is still bare arse to the world without a lick of paint.  I could have posted these as a points grab with the bonus round but got hit with a case of self respect so figured they could go today,

As with all of the Sarissa kits I've assemble, these went together nicely and look like they'll work well on the table.  I went with a simple heavy wash paint job and some terraforming around the ends.
After working on Front Rank figures all challenge, these Perry's seemed very fine boned.  However, there is good precedent for slightly built French artillery corporals

Newly finished is this Perry gun and crew for my French SYW project.  Perry doesn't do any SYW stuff, but I've morphed and fudged several SYW units out of their AWI range (which is gorgeous).  These guys are sold as a French gun crew in fatigues with "Swedish" 4 pounder.  A quick check on the references showed that the Swedish 4 lber was used by the French as a battalion gun in the SYW complete, with the big crochet hook rammer/loader tool carried by the crew.  I've already got one serving as a Hessian battalion gun in the opposing army (this appeared in challenge 7 or 8), again there's history on the use of captured peices.  Also the fatigues look a lot like a SYW gun crew who've discarded their coats and are fighting in the sleeved waistcoats, complete with "pokalem" forage caps.  Three of the crew are artillerymen in their red waist coats and breeches, with the fourth being a borrowed infantryman from Tourraine regiment (featured in challenge 8) in blue waistcoat and white breeches.
It took me a while to work out that the bent back bit on the bottom of the rammer was not a heavy bit of Perry flash!

Battalion guns are an interesting problem for Lace Wars gamers, and various approaches exist to handle them.  In Honours of War for instance, no battalion guns are fielded but the infantry firing ranges and factors vary according to the presence of battalion guns.  These seems like a good idea for larger battles, but I'm more likely to field smaller forces and want to retain these guns.  The best treatment that I've seen so far comes from a set of BP scenarios available from Wargames Vault, where one piece is fielded per 3 battalions but they are "small" BP units with lesser firepower and stamina.  
I do love the movement in some of these Perry figures.  I almost want to block my ears against the upcoming boom.

Points wise the gun crew is pretty easy to tote up - 4 foot figures and a gun = 30  points.  Using the dimensions from Sarissa, my math puts each bridge at 15% of a 6" cube so two of them make  whopping 6 points.  I'm inching towards my 500 point goal with enough in progress to get me past the tape next week.

Nice looking bridges! You can never have enough,I really like your battalion gun and am entirely convinced by your sleight of hand, substituting AWI for SYW!
I agree on your points total,36 points it is!
All the best Iain
 

28 comments:

  1. Than ks for the kind words Iain. I do like a good fudge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Peter. Perry's do male some great figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Peter. I'm liking that gun and crew. I think you need to bring back the pokalem. I could see you cutting a dash with one of those while gardening. You'd slay it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. I'll run your fashion ideas past household management. She might not be so keen on it, especially as the originals were often cut down from last years uniform coat and waistcoat.

      Delete
  4. Nice work. Finding new uses for figures and filling gaps in collections, (especially with the nice looking Perry minis) seems like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart. There are SYW artillerymen available, but I liked these.

      Delete
  5. Very nice bit of work on these sculpts - the Perrys never disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ev. The AWI range is particularly good.

      Delete
  6. Great work Peter. I second Curt's call for the return of the Pokalem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. Curt’s always been more of a fashion trendsetter than I, he should be the one to start this one.

      Delete
  7. I’m always a bit fan of terrain being done and dusted to improve the look of the tabletop and these bridges will do the trip (you deserve some bonus points for having an attack of self respect when there were points on offer!) The gun looks grand too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. There’s always space on my table for a river crossing.

      Delete
  8. Those sarrisa bridges look very nice, Peter. Hope to see the rest of the terrain shortly. I really dig the French artillery crew too. Those white gaiters will be sooted well with a few salvos! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the sporadic use of work details in your collection too. Always need a few grunts for various work parties!

      Delete
    2. Cheers David. But white gaiters look so much better than the black winter ones! In this case having the grunt along for heavy lifting means that with careful choice of uniforms it should be easier to allocate battalion guns to brigades to keep them straight.

      Delete
  9. Nice work Peter! Those bridges look the part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always good to see SYW projects and this is no exception! Well done Peter!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete