Sunday 21 March 2021

From Curt: The Final Post of AHPC XI - 'A Sword Day, A Red Day!' (168 Points)



My last entry starts yet another project for me. Really, can we ever have too many hobby projects? Heavens, I hope not.

Ever since I first read 'Lord of the Rings', I have been enthralled by Tolkien's description of the Battle of Pelennor Fields, always wanting to see it arrayed on the games table in miniature. So after spending this past year reading Tolkien's work, I've decided to start the journey to see if I could achieve this.

For me, one of the highlights of the battle was when Theoden looked upon the mighty enemy host in front of Minas Tirith, turns to his Rohirrim, and calls out:

Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
Spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!


With this in mind I thought I'd start this project with Theoden and some of his riders of Rohan.

Okay, with a subject and some figures in mind, what rules would I use? Well, thankfully GW has their excellent 'War of the Ring', which has a small, but dedicated fan base still supporting it.


While 'War of the Ring' is a great set of rules, I have a couple criticisms. First is with GW's  extortionate pricing, as the cost in figures for two good-sized forces is prohibitive for most hobbyists, except perhaps if done as a club project. 

The second is that I just don't like how cavalry formations look in the game. Sure, it allows people to fit their existing LotR cavalry into sabots, but due to the large circular bases, they only can fit two models per sabot base. While I quite like the large basing for LotR skirmish, it really doesn't translate well for massed ranks of cavalry. 

So after giving it a bit of thought, I decided I'd use the same base dimensions provided in the game, but I'd use 10mm figures in order to give a greater sense of mass.

These models are from the excellent Copplestone Castings range. I absolutely love them as they capture all the Tolkienesque spirit, while also being rather minimal in their design, and so quite easy to paint. I've put them on large acrylic bases as an experiment to see how it works with massed ranks - I think I like it.


I know these are not that much of a 'battle host', as trio of bases represents just one formation, and I want six for the entire Rohirrim contingent. I have a suspicion I will be serving this out to commission painters to finish up for me...

I've decided to put the various heroes on separate bases, so here is Theoden on his mount, Snowmane, riding with his household banner bearers. 

The Mumakil were a bit of a problem to source at first. A have a few different variants as test models. One you see here is a mastodon from Eureka miniatures, another (not shown as I didn't get him done) is a 3D print of a Chaos mastodon, which has a good look as well. I'll have to post him up later. 

Finally, the pick of the litter is this Mumakil from Eaglemoss magazine. This was part of their long out of print LotR chess set series. He's quite hefty, being in white metal, and is an almost perfect fit for 10mm. His stock paintjob wasn't bad, but I wanted him to blend in with my other figures, so I primed him up and gave him a fresh lick of paint.


These Eaglemoss Mumakil are rare as hen's teeth, so if you ever come across one for sale, please let me know as I'd like a few more. Sorry, I have no crew for the howdas as they are still coming in from Pendraken (Persian archers). Sigh, another task for another day.

As to points, each base of cavalry has 24 models and Theoden's base has 4, so there's 76 figures in total. The Mumakil are about the size of a 15mm vehicle so I'll claim 8 each for them. That will give me a grand total of 168 points, just getting me over 1K for this year's outing. 


_______________________

So, here we are at last, with the close of the eleventh edition of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. For my part, it was a wonderful way to spend the winter, providing me a much needed distraction from the troubles and drama of the outside world. 

I wish to thank our minions, Greg, Tamsin, Paul, Miles, Nick, Phil and Byron for helping me keep the Challenge clipping along. I simply couldn't have done it without the you folks. Again, *doffs cap* thank you so much!  

Last but not least, I wish to thank all of our participants who laboured at their hobby desks, made submissions and left encouraging comments for their fellow Challengers. It is our friendly, open-hearted community which keeps me coming back to do this each year.

As per tradition, I ask all participants and followers to email me their top 3 picks for Challengers' Choice. From that list I will put up a poll in a weeks time so we can vote for our favourites. On April 18th I will post up the top three selections for Challengers' Choice, along with my Judge's Choice and Sarah's Choice.

Finally, I invite all the participants to submit picture of themselves along with the work they managed to get done over the three months of the Challenge. I think it's always nice to show off what we've managed to accomplish and to be able to put faces to names.

Thanks again everyone for making this another excellent Challenge!

- Curt



65 comments:

  1. Thanks for organising this fantastic event, Curt. I had an absolute blast in the Chambers of Challenge.
    Thank you to all the minions, other the other challengers and of course Lady Sarah for all of the fun posts and wonderful miniatures on display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart! You were incredibly industrious this year, wow. Where do you store it all there in Japan, or do you have a large place?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for running this event Curt, it's become a fixed highlight of my gaming calendar. The minions have also done a great job as always. Congratulations to everyone that took part. The last 24 hours in particular have been spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lee. You had another terrific Challenge. Such lovely work. Speaking of minions, I may have to call upon you for future duty soon. ;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks Curt and Sarah for taking care one more year. Extending my appreciation to the minions as well as the rest of participants.

    For some reason I feel this year's Challenge has gone faster than ever before, may be the age (11 years has passed since the first edition) or simply that the lockdown due to the pandemics makes every day the same.

    All: take care of yourselves and your relatives and friends, the silverlining is that the vaccine is there and when we meet again in December, I hope the world will be different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Benito. Yes, I felt much the same. Time seems oddly elastic right now. Some things fly by, while others drag on. Nonetheless, it was wonderful to spend time with others doing something like this. Until next year.

      Delete
  4. Another fantastic Season comes to an end!

    Thank you again Curt for all the effort it takes to put it together and keep it on rails, to my fellow minions for the work behind the scenes, and to everyone who took part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been fun helping out as Senior Flight Attendant again. Looking back at my "words of encouragement" from Tuesday, it does appear that the brush slaves rose to the Challenge and pulled out the second highest ever total and second highest "per Challenger" score.

    Well done chaps! Jolly spiffing show! :)



    And now I get an inkling of what that 10mm fantasy commission you suggested to me might be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Yes, I didn't want to mention it until you could see what I was going for. :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, Curt! That massed effect looks really good, and I particularly like how your éoreds are slightly v-shaped. Good luck hunting heffalumps!

    Thanks as always for running this; it is a real boost to my hobby each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. Yes, the heffalumps will require an (expensive) long term safari to round up.

      Delete
    2. Do you have the 10mm elephant from Eureka as well as the mastodon?
      If you don't mind a bit of greenstuff work, then Magister Militum have undead mammoths (3 for £9).

      Delete
    3. I have the Eureka one on order. Thanks for the tip on the Magister Militum models.

      Delete
  7. I echo the thoughts above, thanks very much again Curt for organising this wonderful event. Its great to work alongside other painters across the world and encourage each other to get Projects done.

    The Challenge is responsible for some pretty big collections for me and the time limits, points targets and kind comments of others has definitely spurred me in and I am sure it's the same for others.

    Thanks again Curt and Minions.

    Regards Ken
    The Yarkshire Gamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken. I'm delighted to hear that the Challenge has been a boon to you. I've always admired your work and like to think that this might have spurred on its creation.

      Delete
  8. The figures look brilliant Curt. I shall look forward to seeing more!

    Like everybody above has already said, Congratulations on running another superb Challenge and to all the Minions for all their selfless hard work, I know how much time this takes out of your oainting schedule.
    Its been a blast!!!
    Cheers
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Curt - another wonderful event and I appreciate the privilege of being able to participate. Thanks to all the participants who make this event the highlight of my hobby year. Do my eyes deceive me? Is there a 3-way tie for total points?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fix! Someone must have gone back through the Spreadsheet of Doom (TM) and fiddled the points for that to happen! :)

      Delete
    2. THe spreadsheet is not te only way to organise a fix

      Delete
    3. Ohhhh what a foul and biting accusation Tamsin, Questioning the accuracy of the Holy Spreadsheet of Pigmentation is a most serious charge and one that threatens to shake the foundation of everything we hold ear. I ask you, honored Tamsin, to reflect upon on THE central tenant of the Challenge - the Holy Spreadsheet might be inaccurate BUT it IS NEVER WRONG!

      Delete
    4. Miles, I never questioned the accuracy of the result. I merely speculated as to how the top trio could have ended up with the same final points.
      From Martin's comment, I now suspect that it was not due to someone manipulating the SoD (TM) but rather that there was a conspiracy of collusion between the three of you to achieve this "miraculous" outcome. Not that I can prove it of course... *lol*

      Delete
    5. Sometimes miracles do happen - they may be rare, even far fetched but have been know to happen. Sure the probability of 3 people closing out at the same point total is very low but it's not like something really fantastical like England winning a world cup or the US adopting something sensible like universal healthcare. When compared to those two possibilities, a three-way tie seems almost likely.

      Delete
    6. You know Miles, when you put it that way it makes perfect sense. The three of you have become a gravitational points well, where the your collective points mass cancels eachother out. Yeah, that must be it.

      Delete
  10. Thanks, Curt, as always for a brilliant event, and the highlight of my gaming year, especially important this year as it ends pretty much on the anniversary of the start of the 1st uk lockdown, the current one not yet ended. (Essentially, I've been under house arrest for a year, but some people reckon that's not such a bad thing!)
    Thanks also to everyone who makes this such a convivial, encouraging, rewarding and positive experience - minions especially, for all your hard work. And the math(s)!
    Curt: your 10mm project looks great, and I think your approach will solve my dilemma, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Noel. Let's keep in touch regarding the WI article.

      Delete
  11. Curt, thank you for another brilliant challenge, it's been a blast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure to have you with us Martin.

      Delete
  12. Fine work and thanks again for running this once again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great massed effect Curt!

    Thank you for running another fantastic challenge Curt and I hope you keep this tradition going!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for organising this Curt, sadly I noticed I have missed the cut off thinking it was the 21st here in France....oh well hopefully I can take part next year.

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you had a good time Matt. I hope Sarah and I can come visit soon.

      Delete
  15. Great project Curt and an inspiration for other smaller scale projects I’m considering. Echoing others comments thanks to you and the rest of the team for making me feel welcome and running such a well organised and inclusive, supportive event that’s really helped push my work along 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted you had a good time Simon. Your work was excellent and such fun to watch your progress.

      Delete
  16. What an awesome last post to close this Challenge with Curt! Thanks surely are in place but I will do so in the warp up post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A terrific start to your new project. Thanks for another incredible AHPC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan, I'm delighted you had a good time. :)

      Delete
  18. Thank you Curt, minions and participants for making this so much fun - the best part of the hobby year. Can we do it again please? Also... never thought t’d see Miles Martin and Noel in a three way. It’s the cherry on top of another awesome challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pass the Mindbleach... ;) Delighted to have you with us Pete - you had a terrific challenge.

      Delete
  19. Curt, another beautifully painted unit! Your skill, speed, and talent is inspiring.

    Thank you Curt for allowing me the honor to be a part of this awesome exercise and rub virtual elbows with some very talented and imaginative painters. I'm truly humbled. This being my first AHPC I see the key is to build and prime all manner of figs and kits months in advance. I shall start preparing for next year NOW!

    Thank you Minions for all your hard work and for making this so much fun. Thank you challengers for your input, critiques, and acceptance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted you had a good time Jeff. I hope you can join us for AHPC XII.

      Delete
  20. I've always enjoyed following the AHPC and it was an even greater pleasure to be a part of it.

    Funny the final entry should be about LoTR as I am already planning that for the next AHPC I will be tackling my rather large (1200+ figures) GW LoTR collection.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful work on those Curt! I can already imagine the mass effect you're aiming for. Funnily enough all the time since I painted those Uruks for you I'm hard pressed to not start a LotR force for myself. So you're clearly bad influence with these projects of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick. Those Uruks you gifted me are the gold standard in my collection, and have provided so much inspiration for projects like these.

      Delete
  22. These look great and the clear bases is a really neat idea. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A splendid start to a new army, the bases work really well I think! I echo others in my thanks for putting this on once more,you and the minions have done a fine job!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. It was wonderful to have your good self with us again.

      Delete
  24. Well done dude! They look lovely, and it was fun to get some early peaks on this effort during the opening phases of the Challenge. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dude! Much appreciated. I now have to go back and actually look at what happened over the past two days. I see you debuted your wonderful WWI collection. Superb.

      Delete
  25. Great work on both the figures and the challenge as a whole, it's been great fun, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for running the madness again Curt. Love the 10mil LoTR stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, delighted you had a good time. I quite enjoyed your Med naval ship histories.

      Delete
  27. Brilliant work on the wee Rohirrim, Curt! The scale and subtle v formation lend well to the ride to ruin! Looking forward to seeing the oliphants with Persian passengers too!
    Although I missed the fun, i was able to view the emails just fine. Also my 1:1 adventures in Canttellustan are winding down. Fantastic bout of eye candy this year and many ideas of inspiration( butterflies and squirrels) await when I get home! Fantastic outting gang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks so much for the note Dave. You were missed and I hope you can join us next time we ride. :)

      Delete
  28. Love these small scale LotR figures!

    Thanks for running the Challenge. I had a lot of fun, painting (for me) a fairly wide range of subjects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Sorry about your last post. Are you up for the Vaccination Challenge?

      Delete
  29. Another great post and a fitting end to the Challenge, Curt! As you know I love the smaller scales, and these are excellent. As I am a devoted Tolkien fan, this post combines two of my passions in life. Great!
    Also, thanks for having me on. I didn't nearly get done what I had planned, life getting in the way and anything, but it was great. I'll definitely see you in the Vaccination Challenge (Btw, actually getting a vaccination here in Belgium is not all that easy even though I am in a "risk group", so supposed to be called up early. Ah well. It'll all be alright in the end I'm sure).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martijn! We are birds of a feather in scales and interest then. I hope to make more inroads on this project over the year. Stay tuned.

      Delete