Thursday 21 March 2019

The Final Post of Challenge IX 'Fellowship' - The Syrian White Helmets


Brushes down folks! It's curtains.

Jeez Louise! Our ninth Challenge under the belt, eh! Wow, I'm a bit wrecked, but it feels awesome to have hit the finish line with all of you. I have to give a HUGE thanks to many a minion and particularly Tamsin for stopping in to help me post many of the entries over the past few days - you folks were real troopers and helped me stay employed while keeping the show on the road. 

__________________________________________

As to my closing post, I wanted to return to our theme of 'Fellowship' and decided to do a small vignette honouring a group of people whose selfless work I've admired for several years now: the Syrian White Helmets.





As many of you know the White Helmets are a group of Syrian volunteers whose mandate is to provide medical assistance, urban search and rescue, civilian evacuation, and essential service delivery to areas caught within their nation's civil war. It is reported that since they were formed more than 5 years ago the White Helmets have saved over 100,000 lives, while losing over 200 of their own people in the process. In 2016 the group was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and have subsequently been awarded numerous international accolades for their humanitarian work.



Sadly, in this politically charged region of the world, there is an active smear campaign levelled at the White Helmets, trying to besmirch and belittle what they have done for their people. Personally I think this is reprehensible, but these are the times we live in and we all have to do our bit to rise above it and fight injustice when we can. 

I'm proud to say that this past summer the Canadian government was instrumental in organising the evacuation of over 400 White Helmets and their families from Syria before forces loyal to the present regime could arrest them for supposed crimes against the state. Many of these people have been resettled here in Canada, along with other participating countries. I know for many of them it has been a heart-wrenching experience, having to flee their homeland and loved ones to live in a far away, alien place. I am happy to have them here in a safe haven, but I hope there comes a day when these brave people can freely and safely choose to either return to Syria, or remain with us as new Canadians.


As you can imagine, there are no White Helmet figures on the market, so I took a shot of bodging my own. As they wear a distinctive cropped helmet which looks vaguely similar to a German fallshirmjaeger helmet I used that as a basis to run with. 



With this in mind, I found a trio of 20mm German paratroopers tucked away in my collection, repositioned their arms and heads and carefully cut and filed away their equipment to look more like civilian garb. 

I then mounted them on a piece of carved blue insulation and then added assorted rubble and debris. Admittedly, it's not perfect, but the overall silhouette seems to work to my eyes. I hope it does for you as well.



_____________________________

Okay, on to the administrative stuff.

Over the next few weeks I'd like everyone to submit a group shot of themselves and everything they got done over the past three months of the Challenge. I'll kick this off in a few days featuring my smiling mug with my (small) horde of toys PLUS I will be posting the my remaining Tribute figures for Lee and Robert, so stay tuned for those.

The announcement on the various prizes will be in two weeks time (Sunday, March 31st).  

These will be:

- The six Threshold prizes for 500, 750, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500+ points.

- Judges Choice (chosen by me)

- Sarah's Choice (chosen by Lady Sarah)

- Challenger's Choice (chosen by you lot!)


For Challenger's choice we're going to do it similar to previous years. I'd like all the participants to send me their top three favourite entries from this Challenge. The deadline is this Sunday (the 24th). It doesn't have to be in any particular order as I will make a big gallery of all the nominations from which we can vote. It will be a nice way of reminding ourselves of all the excellent work that was produced during the Challenge.

Again, thank you for indulging me in this mad little venture. And a HUGE thanks to both this year's Minions (Barks, Lee, Ev, Iain, Robert, Miles, and Paul) and the Old Sweats of previous editions, I could not have pulled this off without you folks.  I hope you all had as good a time as I did.

There it is: The Ninth Annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge has concluded. 

Thanks again everyone!

Curt

68 comments:

  1. Great figures Curt, a very poignant entry. Good on Canada inviting all those great people into the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Yes, I'm delighted that we were able to bring them in.

      Delete
  2. Great work everyone - Its been quite the ride!

    A reminder for duels data updates please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would also compare the combined total of 81,395 points to Miles' Week 4 based prediction of 79,428 - thats less than 2.5% variance!

      Delete
    2. Rest assured that this point will be made (many times) any upcoming "Magical Statistical Tour"

      Delete
  3. Excellent idea to end with, and great work to deliver it. Fellowship, indeed. I'm always in awe of the effort you put in to your figures, Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic way to end - a great tribute to those brave, selfless volunteers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I just add that it was a pleasure to help out with the posts yesterday - it helped you crack on with this wonderful vignette and me to avoid painting another entry. That really was a lot of final day posts we had to wade through :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tamsin, it was tight getting it done but you helped me get it to the finish line.

      Delete
  5. Great work on both the vignette and the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fitting tribute and indeed a profound thanks to Curt, Lady Sarsh and the Minions! The Challenge is dead, long live the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very thought provoking and very fitting final entry.

    Thanks for yet another really fun ride during the winter months here in the Northern Hemisphere. I hope to see the Continental set of Challengers when I make my way to Salute in a few weeks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles. I wish I could meet you all there at Salute, but the south of France won out in the end (tough life, I know). Please give my regards to all the Challengers in attendance.

      Delete
    2. I'll speak to the people who run Salute and see if they'll move it to the South of France - that seems reasonable and given the Brexit Nightmare maybe the last chance they get to do so

      Delete
  8. What a brilliant way to conclude yet another hugely entertaining challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael - I was delighted that you joined us this year, knowing how busy you've been at work.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Indeed, it was. Thank you Martin for all you good natured camaraderie.

      Delete
  10. Fantastic work, Curt, and indeed everyone! Well done indeed, and a great last post - great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very nicely executed entry; I wasn't familiar with these people.

    I can't believe it is over; I have really enjoyed being involved as a minion and I'm feeling all fired up to keep painting.

    Only nine months to Challenge X!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a real pleasure having you as a minion this year Barks. Thanks so much for all your help - I couldn't have managed without you and the crew.

      Delete
  12. Lovely post dude - and congrats to everyone, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice homage,Curt! I've admired them too for some time. They go were I go but with entirely different gear and mindset. That is a heckuva lot of bravery and guts. Always good to see those who strive to put the world back together. ;)
    Thank you for all your hard work to make this event possible. This is my hobby highlight of the year. Thank you to, Sarah for allowing this indulgence too. I'm off for more college tours with my wife, Diana. She certainly held the household together while I had painting time, military time and work. She kept me on track and reminded of appointments and even held back the gift she got me of Speed Freeks as she knew orks and machines would've distracted me. Logistical master she is, Sarah definitely must be cut of the same cloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David for your very kind and considered words. It's always a pleasure to have you and your boundless energy with us. But let's not waffle too much, we all know it's our partners that help to keep things on the rails. :)

      Delete
  14. Excellent little vignette, and a worthy tribute to fellowship. The selfless courage of the White Helmets has been the one small point of hope in a long miserable conflict.

    So thetChallenge is over and I have got that hollow feeling again... The day after the challenge ends is always a sad day for me, but this year I was determined to make a change. Today marks the start of my planning for Challenge Ten! I've even ordered my first batch of figures!!

    Well done to everyone that took part, your an amazing (and inspirational) bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee and thanks again for all your help during this years event. I loved your Tuesday intros and you did a magnificent job in keeping on top of that high-performance crew.

      Delete
  15. Thaks a lot, Curt, to you and your collaborators. A fantastic last entry on your part.

    To me, it was a pleasure to participate, although I have not painted as much as I would have liked.

    (My bad... I thought today was the last day to send the last entry... some 100 points that will be lost like tears in the rain...)

    I hope to see you all in nine months. Good luck everybody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to have you join us Franjo. I look forward to seeing you in the ranks for our next edition.

      Delete
  16. Curt and crew this has been my first challenge and I hope that I shall be taking part in many more, you have been a fantastic team.

    The vignette is fantastic and a great tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind Paul, thank you. It was a real pleasure to have you with us this year. I hope you join us again when we rally next to 'venture forth'.

      Delete
  17. That's the best concluding entry that you could have imagined. I'm deeply sorry (and utterly sad) that the Challenge is over again. Time truly flies when you participate in this high-engaging type of activities. Thanks (million of them) to Curt and Sarah for all the effort; and also my great appreaciation to all the minions helping daily with the entries.

    It's been a terrific Challenge, I enjoyed it so much. The quality of the participants works have been stunning this year and exceeded my bst expectations. I'm really happy to be part of this community. I hope to see you all again in December

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a delight to have you with us Benito. Your British para project was inspiring as was your boundless enthusiasm for the hobby. Thank you!

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. It has indeed! Thanks again Robert for all your help this year. It was a great relief to know that the Friday Follies were in such capable hands. Keep posted for your Tribute figure - I think it will make you smile.

      Delete
    2. We need to up the guest minion budget for Challenge X. The Friday Follies were a blast.

      I suspect it will be something French :p

      Delete
  19. An excellent last entry for this years challenge my friend! The conversion worked a treat and I never would have guessed their origins. Love the basing too. Reminds me of your fabulous Ortona project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick - you're very kind. The inspiration for it came in the last few days of the Challenge, and while rushed, I'm happy that I didn't make a complete hash of it.

      Delete
  20. Fantastic last entry - the white helmets are amazing. Fantastic challenge. Lovely community - many thanks to Curt, Sarah, minions and challengers for making it so much fun. It's going to be a long 9 months to wait for Challenge X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart! Delighted that you had a good time this year. Hope to see you in the ranks for Challenge X.

      Delete
  21. Great closing entry

    Sorry I was AWOL for helping post as I was flattened with man flu the last few days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries mate, hope you're feeling better!

      Delete
  22. Great choice of subject for your last entry! The white helmets are definitely an amazing group and you sure have done them justice with this little vignette!

    Thanks again for organizing this amazing event! And thanks to all the minions who had a helping hand in all of this as well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely final entry! It's been great, the highlight of my hobby year, thanks a million!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank you Iain for all your good natured assistance. It was great having you as a minion this year.

      Delete
  24. A lovely and poignent piece to end the challenge with. Thanks to everyone for a grand time

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so very much for allowing me to participate in my first challenge. It's been absolutely amazing fun, and your final post is a fitting tribute. Thanks to everyone who made it a real joy to do, especially curt and my Minion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted you had a great time out Dave. It was wonderful having you in the scrum. :)

      Delete
  26. Thanks Curt for another fantastic challenge! I’ve loved participating and seeing all the entries from everyone. Thank you for all the effort you put into hosting this challenge each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Steve, delighted that you had a good time.

      Delete
  27. A fantastic piece to finish off with.
    I have had a blast during this challenge. So many amazing entries from everyone, encouraging comments from the minions and other challengers, it has been awesome.
    Thanks for organizing this Curt and for allowing me to join in the fun. I'm already looking forward to the next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure Stuart. You had a great run, with many wonderful entries. I'm happy you had a good time.

      Delete
  28. Great work on this f8nal entr6 Curt.
    And thanks again for running this madness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pete! Thanks for all your support.

      Delete
  29. A moving final entry, and a thoughtful tribute to these brave folk

    ReplyDelete
  30. A fine looking piece to end the challenge with Curt!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete