Saturday 4 March 2023

ChrisW 18th century naval Abbott & Costello & some loose ends [290 points]

So, no studio and no limo service this week, just some miniatures. 

The biggest group are the Galloping Major 18th century naval figures, 29 in total. In addition to those fine figures I finished off a bunch of stuff that were only a few colours away from being done. Every week I have a selection of figures that I did not finish either because I ran out of time, focus or motivation. 

This has worked out to be a good thing this week because as of Monday I was out of town for a week on vacation in Florida.(not back by the time this post was posted) So everything posted this week is from that unfinished category. Normally I take Saturday and sometimes Sunday off after my late night Friday posting, but this week I had to get back at it as I only had the weekend to finish off some stuff to post. I like to post every week, kind of like the old weekly work targets that I used to have.

This also means that I will be under the gun for the week that I get back as I will miss the Monday and will have fewer 'almost done' stuff to fill out my post.

18th Century Naval [29 figures]

 Interesting figures, lots of character and interesting poses. They are a little odd in that they have some very nice detail but then you find a figure with very large ham hands.




Fritz & his Igor mates [6 figures] (or good help is hard to find)

A selection of helpers from a number of ranges, some Pulp Figures, RAFM. These really need to be distributed to some of the mad scientists that I recently finished, but I sense Fritz may be going independent and starting a union.



 Abbott & Costello meet the Mummy [9 figures]

Not a copy more of an homage to the old movie. I was inspired by the 'Costello figure' as he looked kind of like Lou, so I then looked for Abbott, and some other likely figures. So a mix of Pulp figures, Artizan/Northstar, and Blue Moon. The actual movie had a femme fatale in blue and the figure from Pulp Alley fits the bill near enough. Otherwise the cast in my version has the kindly old archaeologist and his daughter with the local museum curator pretending to be a friend but is really another villain out to resurrect the mummy.



 Men of Faith [6 figures]

After painting some nuns I noticed that I had some priests, at least six. The usual suspects here for figure companies.




Djinn [3 figures]

Maybe RAFM figures, kind of basic, but quick and fun to paint. Not certain what I will use them for, some type of skirmish game, maybe 7TV.




Torture chamber [5 figures]

One complete Pulp Figures set with a Lobo (Tor Johnson) figure thrown in for good measure. (looks like a relative of the helpers) What more is there to say, everyone should have a pulpy torture crew in their stable.





Scuba spies [6 figures] 

Crooked Dice figures painted like the good guys from the James Bond film Thunderball. The orange suit is one of the more recent GW contrast paints and come out very very orange. I find that some of the newer contrast paints do not seem to have all that much of a contrast finish to them. These are not the best figures to show off contrast as they are rather smooth but still my comment stand for this colour and a few others.

 These have made it to a draft post a couple of times, but never finished. Maybe next time.

Apparently I need to pack some stuff for the trip, so that is all for this week, just shy of 300 points 😞

Points total this time

  • 290 points for 58 x 28mm foot (including sarcophagus and risen mummy)

Total of  290 points

And I am out of here for a week in the sun (hopefully) at very least a week away from snow! (& painting)

Squirrels this time around [+5]

  1. 18th century naval
  2. Fritz & his Igor mates (lab helpers)
  3. Abbott & Costello meet the Mummy
  4. Men of Faith
  5. Torture chamber

 New squirrel total 55

 Previous squirrels

  1. Back of Beyond
  2. Mad figures (Top hat toffs and companions)
  3. Greek skeletons
  4. Sisters of Sigmar
  5. Ancient Germanic women
  6. ECW cuirassiers
  7. Monsters large
  8. Post apocalypse
  9. Tekumel Palanquin
  10. Empire Pike
  11. Jazz Band
  12. French Cuirassiers on Mars
  13. Court of Dr Koo
  14. Movie makers
  15. Gothic/movie Vampires 
  16. Gladiators
  17. Women rocket corp
  18. Supers
  19. Forest scenery
  20. Robin Hood
  21. Gorillas 
  22. Dr and his pets
  23. Nuns
  24. The flying squad 
  25. Mechanical spiders from Mars 
  26. The Gorgons
  27. Cthulhu creatures
  28. Mad gardeners and their plants
  29. Pulp mummies
  30. Pulp Egyptian skeletons
  31. Jason and the Argonauts
  32. Asylum residents 
  33. Dwarf Roman style troops
  34. Hatchet/axe wielding maniacs
  35. Free range lunatics 
  36. Gunslingers
  37. Hill Martians
  38. Martian artillery
  39. Lizard infantry
  40. Tekumel monsters
  41. Failed experiments
  42. Dr Frankenstein and monsters
  43. Cold hearted mad scientists 
  44. Mexican civilians
  45. US cavalry
  46. Cowboys
  47. Town folk
  48. Lawmen
  49. Hired guns 
  50. Royal Martian marines
Another fine mix of minis, Chris. I particularly like the Abbott and Costello set, they look like they will be plenty of fun on the table. I hope that you enjoy your break in the sun and come back to the challenge fully recharged and ready to go for the final push. 

11 comments:

  1. Great collection, Chris, I also very much like the mummy scene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great collection of minis, Chris! :)

    Just a small comment on one of the priests - the white surplice should have sleeves, rather than looking like a tabard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice mix of figures, Chris! You are certainly spoiled for pulp gaming choices. I wasn't disappointed with Abbot and Costello, but I really like the mob of sea dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great collection of figures Chris. Love the Royal Navy figures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of good looking pulp stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pulp submission. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great mix. I particularly love the naval contingent. Nice to see something different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Post, enjoy you holiday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff Chris. I'm amazed by the range of figures you post, have a great holiday

    ReplyDelete