Saturday 4 March 2023

From Steve K - Pictish Warband Infantry -80 Points

 

Now then,

another slight deviation from the plan... So I grabbed the new edition of Hail Caesar, a system that I always quite liked, but havent played in ages. The new edition clears things up and is a very pretty book. Anyway, I decided to expand my Picts, which effectively doubles the size of the army.


I grabbed a bunch of Metal Gripping beat Picts as well as a GB plastic box set and set to work. I have to say, the plastics are nice, simple models but I find it a real pain sticking them together, not that they are difficult but because I just prefer metals...



Ive painted up 19 Picts this week (after spending a week losing the will to live sticking my fingers together). A mixture of metal and plastic.

They are not based yet as im going to wait until they are all painted so i can mix them together with the box load of Footsore minis that I have waiting in the queue.


The army so far, as you can see there are lots of empty bases that need filling!

Points

19 x 28mm foot @5pts per model = 95pts.

Have a good week everyone!

Steve

The Picts look superb, you've done an excellent job with the clothing, especially the plaid and striped patterns. 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but basing your minis is kind of a requirement of the challenge. I totally understand that you want to do all of the basing in one go, I've been in a similar boat myself.  Having consulted with the other minions, I'm afraid the dark arcana running the spreadsheet of doom mean I can only award you 4 points per model. If you do get these figures based by the end of the challenge, make a note of it in your post and the extra point per mini will be added to your score. To make it up to you, I will throw in a couple of bonus points for the fine brushwork and for persevering with the plastic minis.

15 comments:

  1. I’m not a great fan of building plastic models myself, but you did a great job with these, and some great painting. Good stuff, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on these Picts, Steve. :)

    As noted, you get reduced points for them not being based, but if you get the rest painted and all of the basing done before the Challenge ends, you can get those points back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Stig, let's get them on the table and gang up on your brother. If he plays like last time we will have soon kicked the saxons out of England

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look very nice, Steve! I like the stripes and decorations on them. I know well the pain of both same pose metals and price and wonky plastics with no heft! Yet it seems a good mix of metal and plastic lend a better variety to your force!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very nice, just time consuming to assemble, clean up etc.

      Delete
  5. Really nice work on those plaids and shields. I'm a big fan of the Picts and the GB plastic kits. Fiddly at times but worth the time investment. Excellent big for your buck. Send us Picts picts when they are based.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, to me the building of the plastics is one of the best parts of the hobby! Sometimes I build an entire army then never get round to painting it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look great Steve - the plan to mix several manufacturers together to give an irregular look sounds like a great idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive tried to really mix this collection up, theres footsore, GB, Foundry, Black tree, 1st Corps, westwind and some newline designs in there. It really does make them look irregular and unformed.

      Delete