Saturday 4 March 2023

From MartijnN: Fighting Windmills (10mm ACW)(SuperHeroes)(103 points)

I am not really into superheroes. The Marvel universe and all associated superheroes does not, I fear, really appeal to me. What will not have helped is that my dad, the one time I brought home some comics borrowed from a friend, cast one look upon them and said "We don't read that trash in this house" and made me return them the following day...

In all honesty, I don't think I really suffered for it. Yes, I got the occasional glimpse of Superman, or the Hulk (Lou Ferrigno, of course), but it never really struck a cord. So coming up with a suitable hero for the Superheroes Studio was a bit of a struggle.

And then I thought, why not go for the anti-hero. So here he is, my dad would have approved of him, and his heroic struggle against windmills has gone down in languages across Europe: Don Quixote de la Mancha, accompanied by  his faithful servant, Sancho Panza. Surprisingly, I don't think many films have been made about him. This one, from Terry Gilliam, seems to be the most recent one.



And here is my hommage to the heroic hidalgo, on his knightly steed Rocinante, Sancho Panza at his side:





Once again, these are Iain Lovecraft figures, 3D printed.

Certainly no anti-heroes, although in some way, perhaps, fighting windmills nevertheless, are these 10mm Perrin ACW troops. This is the final Confederate brigade for my Champion Hill project; just a couple of Union brigades to go now. There is also an artillery battery and two generals. I will claim a squirrel for these.


For the Union, there are also two generals, Grant is to follow. And three artillery batteries.



Not much, after last week's rather rich harvest, but I'm glad I have kept up the momentum. Also, I passed my target last week, so the pressure (if there was ever any) is off. Here's my map:



Next stop? Don't know yet. I don't think I am quite ready for the Director's Chair yet, so I still have four studios to choose from. Hm....

As for points:

36 x 10mm foot @1 = 36

4 x 10mm artillery piece  @2 = 8

5x 10mm cavalry @3 (per the recent revision) = 15

2x 28mm mounted @ 10 = 20

SuperHeroes Studio bonus = 20

Grand total 99

Some very nice looking minis there, Martijn. The Don and his companions look amazing, and (while I am a big comic book fan), I think your justification of choosing a hero from classic literature rather than Marvel or DC is very appropriate. Well done. 

Also, according to the Spreadsheet of Doom, 10mm Artillery also got bumped up to 3 points from what I can see.

19 comments:

  1. Very nice work, Martijn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Martjin! Don Quixote is definitely a hero in my eyes as he does have that stubbornness trait which I rather like the more positive synonym perseverance! We are all heroes of our own stories! Nice work ! I also like the diminutive rebels and cannon too. I am impressed with the color you packed into them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! Ideally like the Lovecraft designs, and I do try to bring a little colour to my tiny Rebels.

      Delete
  3. Love it. It have an affinity with DQ . Great to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have fought some windmills myself too. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Great work. Love Don Quixote and side kick. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous choice for Superhero, Martijn, and beautifully painted. I agree with Dave, I definitely see Don Quixote as a hero. I'm definitely hunting down that 3d file for myself. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Don! Really like the ACW stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have done some phenomenal work with those. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work here Martijn. What are superheroes but modern versions of the classic heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a really cool entry Martijn, I 'm particularly impressed by the horse, its superbly painted

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Martijn! Nice brushwork on an interesting variety of subjects.

    ReplyDelete