Saturday 4 March 2023

From Millsy: Russian Civil War Bolsheviks (241 points)

G'day All,

It's been a while since my last submission, mainly due to a dose of conjunctivitis which makes painting unpleasant at best. Thankfully things have improved and I've been able to get back on the tools.

This submission is a large chunk of one of the two opposing forces for my new Russian Civil War project. There's some cavalry, an armoured car and a few transports to go, but this covers all the command and core troops on foot for the Bolsheviks.

I'm using a home brew variant of Bolt Action so infantry squads are ten men as a rule and command, supports, etc. all follow the standard sizes under those rules. Miniatures are for the most part from the wonderful and quite extensive Copplestone Castings Back of Beyond range which a few extras from Empress Miniatures. I'd like to add some Brigade Games stuff but at their (frankly extortionate!) postage rates that seems unlikely.

Command

Officer, Standard Bearer and Kommissar. The flag is a freebie thanks to Wiki Commons.


Infantry Squads (4)

Three x standard rifle-armed Bolshevik infantry squads with Officer, Standard Bearer and LMG.



The fourth squad are rifle-armed Communist Volunteer infantry with Officer, Standard Bearer and Kommissar to keep the "volunteers" in line. The Kommissar bears a striking resemblance to my good mate and sometime Challenge participant EvanH. The flags are once again freebies thanks to Wiki Commons.


Support Squad

HMG and crew. Dakkaski-dakkaski!


This brings me to within around 250 points of my target, which should be easily achievable with 2.5 weeks to go. Next up hopefully the aforementioned cavalry, an armoured car and transports.

Cheers,
Millsy

Glad to hear that you are doing better Millsy. These models all look great, the flags are going to give you a bonus point to help you get just that little bit closer to your goal. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this army.

18 comments:

  1. Excellent bolshies, Comrade Millsy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Millsy! Proof you are on the mend too! Every time I see banners like these, I am reminded of Dr zhivago! I hope to see the rest of your horde shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautifully painted comrade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work Millsy. Top notch brush work and basing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning brushwork Millsy. I started a RCW project a few years back (isn't that Copplestone stuff amazing) and seeing your enviable efforts makes me want to return to it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt! I took inspiration from your work and several others on here.

      Delete
    2. It's great to hear that some of my fits-and-starts efforts are of some use.

      Delete
    3. LOL. Mine too or so I am told! If only for me also :-P

      Delete
  6. Really loving these Bolshies comrade Millsy. Bags of character and excellent painting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab job mate - they look excellent. Just the thing to charge my White's Maxim guns :-)

    And yes your fits and starts are of great use/distraction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you brought out the variety and given some colour to these wonderful figures, Millsy. Excellent painting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely stuff Millsy! I have some Poles who would like to meet them...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant stuff Millsy, have a look at Artizan Miniatures thrilling tales for some add ons, you'll do a superb job on them no doubt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project - really liked looking at these photos!
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic brushwork Millsy, and a cool project too! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking communists Millsy

    ReplyDelete