Tuesday 9 January 2024

From PeterD: Pict Light Cavalry for History (62 points)

For the History section I've got a unit of four Pict Light Cavalry in 28mm, using Gripping Beast plastics.

These are based for my Late Roman Britain project using the To The Strongest ruleset.  There was some whinging from the Snowlord during a recent game that the Picts needed to up their mounted arm and I will endeavour to do this over the Challenge.  


The shields are freehanded.  Way faster, easier and more enjoyable that transfers.

Unlike a lot of Challenge painters I really like painting horses.  I can't be arsed to use oils, so use layers of acrylics with washes.

Lock up your sheep and your daughters!

These use bits from three Gripping Beast box sets.  The horses and torsos are from the Light Cavalry and Dark Age Cavalry sets, while the heads, shields and weapons come from the Pict Warrior sets.  These GB kits are good value for money, and you can mix and match quite easily,  

Four cavalry in 28mm is 40 points plus the History bonus gets me 60 points, and I'm heading out of Section 1 on the ground floor and up the stairs to Section 2.


Some fine Pictish cavalry here, Peter! The Snowlord should better watch his flanks… I love the variety of the colours and the horses, and the creative mixing of kits. I think the freehanded shields warrant some bonus points, so we’ll make it a further 62 points towards your goal. Up and away we go!

Martijn 


23 comments:

  1. The Snowlord whinging? Never? Great work Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking Picts, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. Should have some Roman opposition for the Legion Duel shortly.

      Delete
  3. Nice, the horse colours work well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Martijn, sorry for not marking these posts as Ready sooner. They were fun to paint and the extra points are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you paint my horses? Naw, just kidding. They might be too small for your eyes. Good looking bunch. I'm sure they will turn the odds on the the table top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. No I won’t paint 6mm horses, way too small for my eyes.

      Delete
  6. Nice kit-bashed cavalry. The hand-painted shields are a great way to finish off the models.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! Nothing so annoying as light cav throwing javelins at your infantry and scuttling away... I need to stump up and do some Gaul Cavalry, but painting horses is not my favourite thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. No staying power but useful irritants and able to exploit an opportunity. Think of horses as giving an opportunity to expand on your creativity.

      Delete
  8. Have fun with these on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice work, Peter. I look forward to seeing these additions plying their trade on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. More mounted Picts in the queue.

      Delete
  10. Never mind Light Cavalry I'd go with Bright Cavalry, super colours 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken. They are way too bright but it helps them stand out on table. Besides light cavalry needs flash.

      Delete
  11. Certainly wouldn’t want these angry looking fellas charging at me…. Nice work to make them look menacing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Light cavalry the Bain of my ancients gaming they always pop up throw the javelin and then when I try to kill the sods off they trot. love the kit bashing and hand painted shiels, really nice entry Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then the cavalry are doing their job! Thanks Galpy.

      Delete