Sunday 12 April 2015

5th Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge Awards



Well, it’s been a very busy week! All the votes are in for Challengers’ Choice and Peoples Choice. Sarah has made her selection for Sarah’s Choice and I’ve done the same for the Judges selection. Finally, we’ve made the prize draws for the six points thresholds. Whew!

Okay, on to the awards!


Challengers’ Choice (35 Euro Gift Certificate from Tsuba Miniatures)
Honourable Mention goes to:

- Anne’s body of work over the Challenge

- DaveD’s Sudanese project

The Challengers’ Choice goes to: MartinN’s Greyscale Viet Minh








Peoples’ Choice (35 Euro Gift Certificate from Barrage Miniatures)
Honourable Mention goes to:

- AdamC’s very impressive body of work over the Challenge

- MarkO’s incredible force of Austrian Napoleonics

The Peoples’ Choice goes to MartinC’s fantastic and incredibly imaginative flying carpet force







Judge’s Choice (20 Euro Amazon Gift Certificate)
The Honourable Mentions:

- MichaelA’s collective submissions – masterful work sir!

- AlanD’s collective work, especially impressive with his mind-boggling freehand brushwork on his shields and carpets.

The Judge’s Choice goes to MartinN’s Collective Submissions – Thank you Nick for treating us to your stunning brushwork!












Sarah’s Choice (20 GBP Amazon Gift Certificate)

From Lady Sarah:

The "Sarah's Choice" award began after the first Challenge had started because I whined to Curt that there were no "lady figures" being painted. Curt, being curt, said to me that maybe I could start painting (?!) or issue a specific challenge. Well, a challenge was definitely the easier choice.

Over the three months of the Challenge, I regularly popped in to check out what was happening and to see what kept Curt’s attention every night until the wee hours of the morning. Hmm, I just had a thought: Is Curt an espresso addict because of the Challenge, or does the Challenge exist because he's already an espresso addict?  (BTW Miles, thank you very much for the coffee beans).

I am always astonished at the volume, quality and range of submissions. You guys and gals have tremendous talent and a repartee through the comments. I love the community you have created.

I have spent the last 3-4 evenings zooming thru all the submissions , (I really should have made notes to begin with!) and I am overwhelmed. Not only have I made my Sarah's Choice selections, but I have also submitted my votes for People's Choice.



Sarah's Choice, with honourable mentions first:

PhilH's  'er Madge


Phil has captured Madge's Stylish Frumpy look wonderfully. I aspire to be this grand looking when I am an octogenarian out trampling thru the woods with my Hunter Wellies and the dogs. ( no shotgun for me) Heck, I aspire to this now!




ByronM's Steampunk Tinker Belle


Byron has some mad painting skills as evidenced in all his submissions. But Tinker Belle caught my fancy. Now if I get Curt to paint me the SteamPunk Mary Poppins......




And the award for Sarah’s Choice goes to MichaelA for his ‘Adele Blanc-Sec’



What could be better than an intrepid heroine flying over the streets of Paris on a pterodactyl? And that this wonderful figure was created out of bits and bobs by Michael. Salut!

To all the participants, you all are terrifically creative painters and I look forward to seeing what your minds and brushes come up with for the next Challenge.

Oh, and I am still waiting for someone to do "Josephine in her Rose Garden at MalMaison”.


Well done Sarah! Okay, following are the Point Threshold prizes. These are a random draw awarded to participants who broke through the six points barriers over the course of the Challenge:

Threshold I / 500 points: IannickM
($20 Gift Certificate from J&M Miniatures)
also, AlanD
($20 GBP Gift Certificate from Westfalia Miniatures)

Threshold II / 750 points: SeanS
($25 Gift Certificate from SG2 Creations)

Threshold III / 1000 points: SanderS
(30 GBP Gift Certificate from Westfalia Miniatures)

Threshold IV / 1500 points: AaronH
(35 Euro Gift Certificate from Barrage Miniatures)

Threshold V / 2000 points: AdamC
(one pack of each code from Orinoco Miniatures' Chaco Wars range, plus each pack of the British Legion in the Liberation Wars range)

Threshold VI / 2500 points: TamsinP
(35 Euro Gift Certificate from Barrage Miniatures)




Also, I think it only proper to give some prizes to our Titans who dominated the points standings:

3rd in the Points Standings (tie) Millsy and Miles ($25 Gift Certificates each from Fife & Drum Miniatures PLUS a pack each of the Retreat from Moscow set from Murawski Miniatures)

2nd in the Points Standings MarkO ($50 Gift Certificate from Fife & Drum Miniatures

1st in the Points Standings DaveD ($100 Gift Certificate from Fife & Drum Miniatures)

Finally, I’d like to give a ‘New to the Hobby’ award to Evan & GrantH to thank them for their infectious enthusiasm and for reminding us all what it was like to start out in this funny little hobby of ours.  Boys, I’m going to get you into Napoleonics. You’ll get a complete command set from Murawski Miniatures and a 20 Euro Gift certificate from Barrage Miniatures. Enjoy!

Congratulations to all the prize winners!  Thank you for participating in the Challenge and sharing your wonderful work. Please contact me to work out the details of getting your awards.


We also have a few loose ends regarding a few of the Side Challenges and Paint Duels.

Space Ships!
I was asked to provide Tamsin’s title for her victory in the Space Race. I think ‘Domina Prima of Sector Challengux' fits nicely.  We all bow to your terrible splendour Ms. P... :)

Pulp Trio
Though he did not class his Dr. Who and Crooked Dice figures as Pulp, I believe that Simon should triumph in the Pulp race.  Simon, drop me a note and we’ll discuss your figure from me.

10mm Smaller
Tamsin, Alan and I participated in the 10mm and Smaller duel and Ms. P bested us handily with her excellent ACW submissions. Alan and I have discussed the matter and we have decided to collaborate on a command stand for one of Tamsin’s armies. I’ll follow up on the progress of that in a future post. Congratulations Tamsin!


Well, that’s it folks and what a ride it’s been!  I’d like to thank all our Challenge Sponsors for their generous support of the event.  I've listed all the sponsors on the right sidebar, so if you have a free moment please visit their sites and see if something strikes your fancy.  As I often say, the Challenge doesn’t need prizes to be a success, but it sure adds a nice bit of sparkle to the proceedings. Thank you!

Finally, and I can't say this enough, I want to thank all the participants from the bottom of my heart for their humour, vigour and generous good will during the three months of the Challenge –this event wouldn’t exist without your efforts. Bravo to you all!

Until next time.

Curt Out.

60 comments:

  1. I can't believe I won the people's choice award, restores my faith in democracy. Many thanks to those who voted for me.
    Curt I've really loved the Challenge, thank you, it has opened my eyes to many new things, I've even started a blog ( http://28mmheroes.blogspot.co.uk/).
    Off to the barrage site to go window shopping.
    Thanks again to you all and especially Curt.

    Love and kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great opening volley on your blog Martin. Congrats and enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Congrats to all the winners! Very worthy choices for the Judge's and Sarah's Choice awards :)

    Tamsin
    Domina Prima of Sector Challengux

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And congratulations to you on getting the Threshold VI prize! Alf is a delight to work with so enjoy!

      Delete
    2. Congratulations as well on the side duel. Well done a worthy winner.

      Miss Domina Prima of Sector Challengux

      * Mutters something under his breathe which you can't hear but suspect is less than pleasant*

      Delete
    3. I suspect we may see another indecent along the Neutral Zone next year

      Delete
  3. All very well done!

    Been quite a bit fun to watch from the back of the pack. Until next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert! I look forward to having your name on the roster next time out.

      Delete
  4. Well done to the Prize Winners, congrats to all the challengers but most importantly a loud HUZZAH to Curt for again running the best event in our hobby blogosphere. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for that Paul, much appreciated. I hope you can join us all for the next foray into madness.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations everyone, and woohoo even a few dollies for me! Will help stock up the armatorium for next time. Thanks again to Curt for running the event and all the judges and commentators!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your Austrian horde Mark and have fun building your upcoming French force.

      Delete
  6. Boohoo! Congratulations to all the winners. I'm thrilled to have gotten an honorable mention in the people's choice and to have won a draw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to you Adam. You had a brilliant run in the Challenge - very inspiring work.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Curt it was a pleasure. Am I correct that the miniatures I won are from the Orinoco Miniatures line? They look very interesting.

      Delete
    3. Yes, Mark has a really excellent range developing for this overlooked conflict.

      Delete
  7. Congrats to all the winners, and yea me for winning the 750pt award. It makes me even gladder that I didn't pack it in and pushed to finish the figures on my painting desk. Of to follow Martin C's blog and peruse SG2 creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Sean! Byron will get you well sorted out with some goodies for your hobby horde. Enjoy!

      Delete
  8. Very cool, well done to all. Sorry I didnt get round to placing any more votes, I've been up to the elbows in Turks and Anzacs and just didnt have the time to go through all the entries...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Scott! It was great having you amongst us this year and thanks for sharing your work with the new ANZAC diorama. A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that, well done!

      Delete
  9. Well done everyone. I have been too busy for the final votes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done everyone, another cracking Challenge! Congrats to all the various individuals above and to everyone involved. To Curt and Sarah, you have my thanks once again!

    And now the "dark ages" between Challenges begin... :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Millsy. I know I can always rely on you to be both our pace car and one-man cheering section. My hat's off to you. :)

      Delete
  11. Напишу по русски ,потому как по английски не смогу выразить все те чувства и мысли ,которые вызвал у меня данный конкурс. Что хотелось бы сказать? Во-первых, большое спасибо Курту за то, что он придумал и организовал такое отличное мероприятие. Трудно представить ,сколько сил и терпения требовалось чтобы все это организовать и провести на таком выском уровне. Во-вторых, мне стал ясен наконец-то средний уровень покраски на западе - это уровень, который у нас называется "средней игровухой" и я рад, что у нас ,в России, более жесткие требования к покраске - например, неоткрашенные глаза, которыми грешат многие западные художники, невозможны у нас. Я перестал комплексовать и пережтивать за свой покрас. В третьих, и самое главное - меня поразило отношение к работам других: любая работа вызывает одобрение и поддержку, автора хвалят за удачи и очень редко ругают. Такое отношение радует художника и сподвигает его на новые работы. Жаль, что не удалось поучавствовать ,может быть ,смогу в следующем году.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex. I translated your comment using Google Translate and, while I'm sure some of the nuance has been lost, think I understand the gist of what you are saying.

      Yes, the Challenge was never meant to be a pedantic, hyper-critical venue of participants' work (or assumed 'artistry'), I believe there exists more than enough events for that. Rather I've always worked to create an environment that is supportive and, for lack of a better word, nurturing - no matter the perceived skill level of the hobbyist. After all, this is meant to be a hobby that we enjoy and take pleasure in sharing.

      As you suggest in your closing, Alex, I do hope you join us next time the Challenge rolls out. Thanks again.

      Delete
  12. Some fine winners , well done all

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to all the winners! Truly deserved! Hope to see you around in the 6th edition of the challenge as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to our host of winners - richly deserved one and all! And thanks once again to Mr Campbell, our guiding light in the choppy water of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful choices for all the awards and winners who deserve there prices without any doubt.
    Many congrats to you lucky beggars!

    And many thanks again to diligent Curt for his enormous efforts to run this challenge for us. I'm looking forward to next winter and the 6th Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. I'd love to join this wonderful bunch of crazy painters again.

    All the best
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some very worthy winners, and big fat well done to every single winner and to everyone else who entered the Challenge!!!! AND even a bigger well done for all the hard work to Mr & Mrs Campbell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Congrats to everyone and thank you Mr & Mrs Campbell!

      Delete
    2. hang on - RAY DID NOT WIN A BLOG DRAW?!!!

      Delete
  17. It's been the usual blast Thanks again for running this, already looking forward to next year

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would echo Rays comments. Congrats to all the winners and everyone who took part. And a he thanks to Mr Curt and Mrs Curt for the hard work dedication and commitment that makes it so much fun for those involved.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats to all the winners! I couldn't agree with you more Curt on your choice of Martin N(Nick) as Judges choice for all around and it would seem the contestants choice as well and of course mine. His work is outstanding and I have the pleasure of seeing them in person as he is a regular gaming pal of mine.:-)

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wild ride it's been!

    Curt, thank you once more for arraying the host, deploying the troops, getting the ducks in a row, herding the cats, and acting as chief cook, bottle-washer, and commander-in-chief of this ragtag band of misfits!

    Looking forward to reading all about it in WBQ - so, no pressure!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks again everyone and especially Curt for the fantastic Challenge. Congratulations to the prizewinners! Martin? Nick's? submissions were just stunning. Thanks also to the sponsors - I'm chuffed at winning a voucher from Westfalia from one of the draws - I've been coveting their sled gun for some time.... Keep painting everyone. Dux out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for all your hard work Curt and congratulations to everyone involved.

    I was able to participate as I had planned, but I was with you all in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My apologies for being late to the party....

    Congrats to all the vote winners - superb work all around and an inspiration for us "mere mortal" painters.

    Many thanks to Curt and Sarah for putting on the show. I hope this years self made entries eased some of the burden but I'm sure it's still a monumental task that I'm grateful they choose to bear it each year.

    Thanks to all the participants who make this event such a joy to participate in. I find it really does lift some of the winter "blues" as well as make a dent in our respective lead mountains.

    Lastly, it appears, Mr Millsy, that the settling of our side duel will be postponed to next year's challenge. You are a most wily and worthy opponent but in the spirit of our desperate struggle we must both retire to our secret lairs and prepare for our next clash. May your spreadsheets be cursed with untraceable circular references!

    I hope everyone has a great summer in the Northern Hemisphere and a mild winter in the Southern one!

    Thanks
    Miles

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great stuff all around. Congratulation to the winners.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you, Curt, for the work of harnessing the Challenge and to Mrs C for allowing the intrusion! ;) It was very fun, and I look forward to crossing warclubs...er BRUSHES! With you all again when winter comes again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I heartily endorse the previous comments, not only on the the well deserved accolades (Martin N's medieval figures were a delight to behold), but also on the style, efficiency and all-round pleasantry of the Challenge and the way Curt has managed it all. I am afraid your work is not finished yet Curt. You'll have to re-draw the Threshold III prize as I (sadly) didn't manage 1000 points. As the late, great Richie Benaud once said "Glenn McGrath, out for two - just ninety eight runs short of his century." I look forward to seeing some of you at Salute, the rest of you, I hope to see next December!

    Pip pip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My poor bleary eyes. My apologies Richard and thank you for pointing that out (you were one row away). Back to my hat and those little slips of paper...

      Delete
    2. SanderS is the lucky winner!

      Richard, I owe you a pint when we cross paths next year (yes, our plan is to be at SALUTE 2016). Until then I tip my hat to your good sportsmanship!

      Delete
    3. Curt, of course I had to "fess up". If I stayed silent, they would never let me back into the Mess!

      Looking forward to that pint - 54 weeks can give you an awful thirst.

      Pip pip

      Delete
  27. Wow... I'm a little late to the show but you see me the more surprised. I would never have anticipated to actually win anything let alone two prices. I'm a little speechless right now...
    Well, I hope nobody exspects me to hold a speech right now ;-)
    Just let me say how happy I'am to see people actually enjoyed viewing some of my work. A big thank you and well done goes to all other winners and participants for all the wonderful stuff I had the plesure to marvel at over the last three months.
    Once again a big thank you to our ingenious captain the infamous Mr. Snowlord who steered as all safely through the stormy watrs that were this years challenge. Thanks for staging this fantastic show. Many thanks also to the lovely Mrs Snowlord for her continued support of her hubby.
    Well... ok... I think that's enough laurels for everybody to rest on for the next 9 months so I'm looking forward to see youall again in the next challenge.

    -Over and out-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick your work has been such a wonderful source of inspiration to me one the challenge and I am thrilled that you have been met with the success that you deserve - fabulous!

      Delete
  28. Thank you for welcoming us into the challenge and congrats to all the challengers! We can guarantee that we shall keep painting, and consider the challenge to begin painting Napoleonics accepted!

    Cheers all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea what Curt got you into, you poor bastards ;-)

      We will want to see pictures of our Murawski Miniatures when painted. Cheers!

      Delete
  29. I won something! Ha!

    Congrats to all. Another great challenge. Great work Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fabulous finale to what has been a triumphant challenge. There has been so much to appreciate and so much to applaud that the difficulty comes in narrowing it down to individuals. The joy of the challenge, for me at any rate, is its collaborative nature, the mutual encouragement in good times and bad to simply do one's best. Personally, I am delighted to have chanced upon success in some of the theme rounds and thank Lady Sarah for her kind words and nomination for one more final flurry, but perhaps my greatest achievement has been to inadvertently persuade young Richard C to dust of his brushes and return to the fray. I have discovered that Richard has quite a competitive streak in him and imagine that a side challenge or two will be issued next year. Finally, I must thank Curt, I simply don't know how you manage it, but grateful that you do! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. I think you've done an admirable job summing up many of our thoughts regarding the Challenge. I too am rather chuffed to have played a small part in getting Richard's brushes out of retirement. I will play a happy 'second' to your duel for the next Challenge.

      Delete
    2. Competitive eh Michael? That sounds like fighting talk. As the one receiving the gauntlet, I opt to decide the rules. First side challenge is Gringo40s mounted Murat - the loser (me) gets to keep both figures.

      PS - Lots of gold lace, and NO zombies!

      Pip Pip ;-)

      Delete
    3. You see, I said you were competitive, already issuing challenges! I am afraid there will be absolutely none of that over foppish and flamboyant Napoleonic nonsense happening here, but I'm sure you will find plenty of others who share your predilection for gold lace! ;)

      Delete
    4. Guys. Guys!? Guys!! You're going to have to put away the handbags for a few months until the next Challenge. That should give you more than enough time to select agreeable ground and weapons. ;)

      I look forward to it.

      Delete
    5. Gold lace!? Handbags!? You are hereby directed to report to the muddy woods where you will each be issued one club. The winner will be whoever has the least lumps! ;)
      Honestly, you are embarrassing me and distracting from my play with toy soldiers! ;)

      Delete
  31. Congratulations to everyone. Your artwork is both humbling and inspiring. Thank you all for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. It was a great year out to be sure.

      Delete
  32. Dear Curt I can see on your main blog that the 6th analogue Painting challenge is due to start.

    Unfortunately I am unable to leave comments there. So I am hoping that by leaving a comment here you will accept me as an entrant. If not then no Problem. And whether I am involved or not I wish you well.

    Good luck with the 6th Challenge.

    ReplyDelete