Thursday 3 February 2022

From SamuliS: Panzerhaubitze rolling into Vogsphere (44 points)

Back to a scale that I've probably submitted more minis in than in any other, though this time with a new era for me in the challenge. I've played Flames of War for quite a while now and it's probably been my most played single game for the last 10 years or so. So naturally when Team Yankee originally came out I was intrigued, but sort of figured that while the setting interested me the ground scale maybe looked a bit odd and I was more interested in larger scale battles of battalion sized forces or larger due to that being closer to what I've dealt with as a reservist in the last years. But last autumn a Team Yankee bug really bit our club and with most of my gaming friends picking up armies I succumbed as well. I was on the fence between picking up a French wheeled recon force or starting a West German armored unit, but looking at store availabilities I finally ended up with the Germans. I have most of the base units already done and I'm now starting to round out the different support options to add some variety.


Having lived in Germany and done quite a lot of business with Germans I can vouch for the cliches about their bureaucracy levels being true. I think I'm probably still marked as a resident in Aachen as you had to report moving out at the city hall and they only allowed you to do it a few days before your departure. When I tried to do it about a week in advance the lady complained that I should come back later which I declined to do so I'm pretty sure I'm somehow still marked as living there. Now another area which is well known for bureaucracy is the military and this applies to any sort of company manufacturing military materials. I'd imagine the discussions related to Germans buying American military gear during the Cold War and not too long after the end of WW2 would have been quite a bureaucratic nightmare for the ordinary person so with that slightly long winded explanation I'd think these are a suitable example for my next planet on the Quadrant map with a landing on Vogsphere ;)

 

Three 15mm vehicles and the next landing point come to around 44 points if my count is correct!

That's a cheeky explantion for Vogsphere, but I'll allow it as you're still a resident of Aachen. I really feel these should be off-board, but they look great.

Barks

13 comments:

  1. Maybe I'm a resident of Aachen too?

    Great work Samuli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these. Having painted a ton of TY models myself (including lots of W. German stuff), the Bundeswehr M109 is one of my favourite models - takes me back to my time as a teenager in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada, close to CFB Shilo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice artillery, the muted colours of the camouflage look very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good looking camo in 15mm, Samuli.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking SP guns!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work! Love armored artillery

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great, I well remember the Canadian version of these,
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not too keen on such heavy ordnance on table but they certainly make for excellent eye catcher. Especially when painted to such a high standard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same issue. I'd much prefer that Flames of War (and Team Yankee) would keep anything larger than a mortar as an off table option and just have forward observers representing them. Looks a bit silly having artillery so close to the action.

      Delete