Thursday 3 February 2022

From AlanD: Covenanter Dragoons on Istvaan V (115 points)

I'm back teaching this week, so production is slowing somewhat. However, I've been pushing on with Covenanters for Pikeman's Lament while I wait for a few more Romanians to arrive...


This week, I present a couple of units of dragoons with some prayer support. One of the things I like about the 3-2-1 basing suggested in Pikeman's Lament is the flexibility it gives. These troops can be mixed up to show a couple of units of dragoons, with some mounted and some on foot, or I could just use the foot figures as a unit of commanded shot. The figures are from Bicorne Miniatures, the first figures of theirs I've painted, and I enjoyed the range of poses and deep detail.



Supporting the dragoons is a Covenanter preacher from Warlord Games, although I chopped off his hat and gave him a bonnet. Istvaan V is a particularly apt planet for this force of Covenanters to land on. The events we (inaccurately) call The English Civil War were precipitated by Charles I's clumsy attempts to impose his brand of Anglicanism on the Scots, the first shots of the war being the objects thrown at the minister using Charles' Prayer Book in Edinburgh in 1637. The Scottish Covenant signed shortly after was a response to the suspiciously Catholic appearance of Charles' religious policies, which reeked of heresy to Scots Presbyterians. 


Istvaan V's theme of loyalty is also relevant to the Covenanters. Their opposition to Charles' religious policies made them initial allies of the English Parliament, culminating in them handing Charles over for trial in 1647. However, in 1648 the Covenanters changed sides, invading England to try to restore Charles to the throne after Parliament failed to follow through on their vague promises about making Presbyterianism the official religion throughout Britain.


With that, the figures here should gain me 95 points with a 20 point planet bonus, for 115 in total. Happy weekend to you all!


Another lovely unit of Covenanters! I really like the colour tone you have achieved here, and your basing works well with the backdrop.

Barks

16 comments:

  1. Brilliant work Dux. Your use of the Scots Covenanters for this theme is very apt, I think. I've painted a few Bicorne minis in the past and agree they are a joy to work on. I also really like your basing. I have a bunch of 28mm ECW based haphazardly for mass combat rules I'll never use, so maybe I'll give this a go. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful looking group of Scotsmen. Love the both the basing and the basing scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nothing against your painting (just look at all the details and highlights of the preacher), but your basework just steals the show. So pretty and merges to your mat. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome units mate, and you've really sold me on the 3-2-1 basing for the smaller sized games

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dux, you are a great advertiser for this game. Each post I see, I am more intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic dragoons Alan, the varied basing works well. The bonnet on the preacher helps tie him to the army in a simple, but very effective, way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking Covenanters and lovely basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work! Love the Covenanters especially their Chaplin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurrah for Covenanter Armies!! Great Figures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alan:
    Every time someone explains this period of Scots history I go a wee bit cross eyed, but your fine basing and painting needs no explanation, yon’s a bonny unit!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete