Sunday 20 November 2016

The Seventh Annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge

Poster by S. Cawthorne & C. Campbell

'The Seven Men from Gascony' by R.F. Delderfield describes the life and times of seven men and one very tough, intrepid woman, who were brought together during the Napoleonic Wars. The characters struggle through battles, imprisonment, starvation and peace. They fall away one by one until only a single member remains to recount their story.


The book is an example of its genre and time: undeniably masculine, perhaps a little wooden and oftentimes quite sentimental. Nonetheless, it has much to say about compassion, friendship and humanity.

 
In light of the Seven Men of Gascony (and the many other 'groups of seven', this year's Painting Challenge celebrates
Camaraderie and Teamwork. 

The Rules
The Challenge will extend from the beginning of Winter, 12:01 am December 20th , through to the first day of Spring, 12:01 am March 20th, Central Standard Time.
Figures can be cleaned and primed prior to the start date, but you cannot start painting until December 20th. In order to be fully scored the figures have to be based and their groundwork completed. The figures have to be painted by you. The Challenge follows the honour system in the completion and entry of figures. (There will be pillorying for anyone who sullies the hallowed hobby of painting toy soldiers...) 
The figures can be in any scale and in any genre (pulp-adventure, science-fiction, fantasy, etc.).
In order to be scored, photos of all figures/units along with a short description must be uploaded to the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge blog. Up-to-date scoring will be maintained on the blog's main page. I will send out an email to all Challengers prior to the event to for further details.
Participants must have an entry submitted within the first month of the event (i.e. January 20th). Failure to do so will result in being dropped from the roster.
The Judge (me) will participate, but my score will not have any standing in the Challenge (I will continue my perennial struggle to stay in the midst of the pack).
I will be the master of ceremonies, but I've press-ganged a group of Minions to assist me in keeping this crazy circus on the rails - more on that later.

The Scoring
6mm foot figure = 0.5 point
6mm mounted figure, artillery piece or crew served weapon = 1 point
6mm vehicle = 2 points
10mm foot figure = 1 point
10mm mounted figure, artillery piece or crew served weapon = 2 points
10mm vehicle = 3 points 
15mm foot figure = 2 points
15mm mounted figure, artillery piece or large crew served weapon = 4 points
15mm vehicle = 6 points

20mm foot figure = 4 points
20mm mounted figure, artillery piece or crew served weapon = 8 points
20mm vehicle = 12 points

28mm foot figure = 5 points

28mm mounted figure, artillery piece or crew served weapon = 10 points
28mm vehicle = 15 points
40mm foot figure = 7 points
40mm mounted figure, artillery piece or crew served weapon = 15 points
40mm vehicle = 20 points 
54mm foot figure = 10 points
54mm mounted figures, artillery piece or crew served weapon = 20 points
54mm vehicle, limber, etc. = 30 points 
Other scales, miscellaneous models/figures will be scored on a submission-by-submission basis. 


Challenger Personal Targets and Duels

Similar to previous years, I ask that each Challenger declare his/her points target that they hope to achieve by the March 20th deadline. Many participants have found this a great incentive to help maintain their pace over the three months of the Challenge. I encourage Challengers to pick a target that is just beyond your comfort zone, but still achievable. As a rough benchmark, 400 points is considered a manageable amount for someone who is new the the event and/or has a busy work/life schedule. Also remember that a significant amount of points can also be secured by participating in the Bonus Rounds (more on this below).

Relating to the points targets, many folks have a lot of fun issuing 'duels' to other participants in order to race to meet a declared target, paint the most figures for a specific period, etc. I leave this to the participants to organize, but we're happy to log the duels and keep track of their progress.

Point Thresholds & Prizes

There will be six point thresholds set out for the Challenge. Each time a participant reaches a Point Threshold his/her name will be entered for the prize drawn for that level. So, the more points you accumulate the more prizes you will be eligible for. We have many generous prize sponsors who I will introduce in a following post. The Threshold prizes will be drawn at the end of the Challenge.
Threshold I: 500 points
Threshold II: 750 points 
Threshold III: 1000 points 
Threshold IV: 1500 points 
Threshold V: 2000 points 
Threshold VI: 2500 points
The Fortnight Theme Bonus Rounds
Same as previous years, we will have a series of thematic Bonus Rounds. Each Bonus Round asks Challengers to enter a submission that illustrates a particular theme. The Bonus Rounds are not mandatory, they are just a little bit of fun to pace out the the Challenge and allow people to gain some points and fame through presenting themed vignettes and single figures.
Those Challengers who submit an entry for a 'Fortnight Theme Bonus Round' will receive an extra 50 points on top of the regular entry tally. 
Figures for the Theme Bonus Rounds should be 15mm or greater and can be of a historical or fictional subject.
The five Bonus Themes along with their submission deadlines are:
  • January 8th - Armour
  • January 22nd - East
  • February 5th - Terrain: 'Home' 
  • February 19th - West
  • March 5th - Character(s) and/or Scene from a Movie, TV program, Book or piece of Music
The theme submissions are to be sent in by 12:01 am (CST) on the specified date (In other words, get it in by Saturday night!).
For each bonus round I'll post a poll listing all the round's entries so visitors can vote for their favourites. 
The Price of Entry

As in previous Challenges, I ask for a memento from the Challengers. In the past I've asked for a figure from every participant, but to keep things in theme, for this year the Challenge entrance 'fee' I ask participants to team up with another, or others, to create a submission. For example, two Challengers could work on one figure (one painting the horse while the other the rider), while another group of Challengers could create a vignette or a themed grouping of several figures (a famous trio or band). The point is I want participants to work within a team. The submission can be of any theme, genre, period, etc. Do what you like - have fun with it but it has to have a central theme tying it together. The submissions will be supplied and painted by the entrants. They can be submitted any time up until the end of the Challenge. Again, same as previous years, for each Challenger I will donate $5 to the Saskatchewan branch of the Regina Humane Society.

The Call

If you wish to participate please send me an email along with your desired point target (curtcampbell at mac dot com)I'll place notification in this space when all the participant slots for the Challenge have been filled.

See you in a month!

141 comments:

  1. Wonderful news and some exciting twists this year. Will be writing entry email a little later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost missed this post, I am in! Thanks Curt for organizing the Hallowed Challenge for yet another year!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Very good! But I am a beginner and do not know the address ... Where to write?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count on me Curt
    I participated last year for the first time and will repeat this year again
    Thanks for organising

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was only talking about this yesterday with BigLee, wondering when we'd get the call to arms!!
    Obviously I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait, my email is on its way! Thanks again for all the work that goes into getting this show on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Consider me signed up - target 2600 points :)

    For the 5th bonus round, could I suggest adding TV series to the theme?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tamsin, this time will be 2 mm instead of 6 mm?

      Delete
    2. I actually did paint some 2mm last year as part of the "Millsy Is A GIMP!" bonus round entry.
      Mostly 15mm with some 6mm and 28mm this year

      Delete
    3. Excellent! As always, I will watch with interest for your work, and have found a new Tamsin-miniature :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Curt,

    Great post, and fantastic news! Just what these long winter nights have been waiting for. Please count me in! I'll drop you an email regarding points, and thanks again for organising!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello everybody! My name is Alex. I'm from Russia. I do not use doping. :) I'm an pain-holic. I am glad that I will again paint the miniatures in the company of good men and women.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Discussing this with Millsy just the other day (shortly before he trounced my mighty army at the First Battle of Bystro), so I'm glad to see that it's chocks away at long last!

    I'm back for another round, so count me in, Snowlord!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I answer this call to arms with honour and gusto - and given the theme it's like joining a "Pals Battalion" really! Great choice mate, because that is what this challenge typifieds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hear, hear Paul! Wait for the whistle and then over the top...

      Delete
  12. With Alex Sengir's PR of this contest in Russian blogosphere, I have nothing blocking me from supporting him in joining him =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always I'm in Curt as it's now pretty much tradition. Nick(MartinN) and I will be having a Spanish Civil War duel this time around.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Martin both doing SCW? Great!

      Man I'm even more stoked about this year's challenge now

      Delete
    2. Yes, I've been nudging Nick for quite some time to get into the period and he finally gave in.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
  14. Mr Campbell you are a crafty bast..., umm, gentlemen with this years bonus rounds.

    Of course I am in (assuming you'll lower the challenge standards and allow me in).

    I'll set my painting goal at 2,000 points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And our hallowed Points Champion from last year strides onto the field...

      Delete
    2. I prefer the term "Saunters" onto the field

      Delete
  15. Please count me in again. Not sure what my target will be yet but I certainly won't be contending the top of the leaderboard (not with 6mm figures thats for sure!!).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would indeed like to take part again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in, I've emailed, now to continue prepping. Woohoo, I've been looking forward to this for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope everyone will welcome me back as I try to find my feet painting again.(no I use hands not feet, it is a figure of speech lol)
    If anyone wants to pair up with me for the entry fee my skills are flesh painting so could do the flesh and pass on or do whole figure and pass on for a great senic base
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's some great news. Welcome back mate!

      Delete
    2. Glad to have you back - I always paint with my feet but I suppose that obvious given the limited quality of my work.

      But as Stalin once said....

      Delete
    3. Glad to see you back in the challenge James!

      Delete
    4. Great to have you along this year James.

      Delete
    5. Good to see you back with us for this years fun, I usually paint with my foot in my mouth

      Ian

      Delete
  19. Good timing mate. A pile of new lead arrived just today and will make for a great start. Now, where did I put my mask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you always wore the mask...so as not to frighten the children

      Delete
    2. Mask or not, it's wonderful to have The Millsy with us again.

      Delete
    3. In my mind, he'll always be wearing the mask....

      Delete
    4. I think that says more about you than Millsy, Mr. Miles. Mmmm ;)

      Delete
    5. Gotta agree with Curt. That's just plain creepy!

      Delete
  20. I'm in this year. Email sent. Cheers, M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravo! Great to have you with us Padre.

      Delete
    2. Well done, Michael, well done indeed, Sir.

      Delete
  21. Great news! Count me in again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent news! What is your points target this year Samuli?

      Delete
  22. Anyone wanting to team up for the entry "fee". Maybe some nordic co-operation?

    ReplyDelete
  23. And so it begins. I'm in and my email is winging it's way to you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great stuff Curt! I'm in with an entry in your inbox.

    I loved this book as a teenager, but almost forgot about it. Now I have to find a copy.
    Cheers
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can lend you mine if you can't source one, Pete.

      Delete
  25. Great news - I'm in. E-mail to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrific! Great to have you with us again Edwin.

      Delete
  26. oh here we go again then.. im in..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh excellent I have another Nurse figure this one with a gimp mask and whip.... If I can find another I could do you and Millsy!

      JK

      Delete
    2. Quote "I could do you and Milsy" now that just sounds wrong LOL

      Ian

      Delete
    3. Clint,.. Nurse Millsy's main equipment is a shovel don't forget,,!

      Delete
  27. I am in and will try and round up some other locals.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am in! And looking for folks who wish to duel in either 30k, moderns or Napoleonics...with a spread like that, how could I fail to lose three duels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I'd be in for the 30K. I'm going to get crush, as
      a) I'm not a fast painter
      b) I might only do 6mm

      but hey, if I'm to be humiliated, why not make it public!

      Delete
    2. Also Greg, want to make an all Canadian theme entry submission?

      Delete
    3. All Canadian - sounds great, and dangerous...

      Delete
    4. As dangerous as a fart in parliament?

      Delete
    5. You know our parliament all too well...

      Delete
    6. With the right fart, you're in cabinet before you know it...

      Delete
    7. Hi Greg, I'll compete in the Napoleonics tranche if you accept me

      Delete
    8. I had better prime those Austrians...

      Delete
  29. I am in, having caused Rules Paragraph V . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't sweat it Robert, you were in 'good' company. ;)

      Delete
  30. I'm in! Email sent.

    Any chance the "armour" theme bonus round could (exceptionnally) be allowed to smaller scales (like 6mm) ? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squeezer! But I'll support the demand if there is at least a battalion worth in the submission :)

      So will you duel at 30k? The Warmaster awaits...

      Delete
    2. Well I don't do armour otherwise, so...but a battalion worth is good with me (and honestly I'M sure many others would enjoy doing smaller scales in that round)

      For 30K, I answered above, below your first post ;-)

      Delete
    3. Yes, 6mm will be fine for that theme.

      Delete
    4. Thank you, oh magnanimous Challenge Overlord! ;-)

      Delete
    5. Beams beneficently... :)

      Delete
  31. Hi Curt, email request sent. I would like to participate again this year, please. My target would be 1000 points. More Assyrians and a lot of other projects are lining up on my table ready for painting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just submitted my request to join. Very excited! I have a load of Kickstarter figures coming in December. Hoping the challenge will get them painted up and on the table by Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Not going to miss out again, e mail launched.

    Regards Ken
    The Yarkshire Gamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on the roster Ken. Now, get priming!

      Delete
    2. Not a problem Curt, I've got stuff in my to paint pile I primed 3 years ago !

      Delete
  34. Excellent news! Count me in I say.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Mail sent, in it again, but much lower level this time around. 1000 pts should be doable. Got another move to take care of here so.. :( But looking forward to seeing everyone's entries!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Huzzah, I'm back in for another year. My figure painting has been especially slack since the last theme and yet my spending has continued unabated so this is just what I need! email sent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to join our 30k duel...

      Delete
    2. Gosh darn it to heck - I've pretty much finished all of the 30k stuff that I had..... but now I find myself looking at stuff to get a third legion going! I shall have to see if I'm able to resist buying yet more 30k stuff. If I fail, I shall absolutely join the duel.

      Delete
    3. Willpower roll failed - more 30k goodies inbound, so I accept the 30k challenge!

      Delete
  37. This is exactly what I need to get me back at the brushes.

    Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah. We should set up a duel. What thinks you?

      Delete
  38. Now that I finally understood where to send my request, I can say - I'm in!
    1,000 points for me should be enough to start.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'd love to be back, if you'll have me. Last year's curtgeld is finally finished and waiting for a postage box, so should be flying over to you well before this year starts ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. Mail in the morning once email is working again, but my target is a measles 750 points this year due to work shenanigans (probably). You would also decide to start *after* my first week off wouldn't you!

      Delete
    2. Your place on the roster is secured Paul!

      Delete
  40. If there is still room. Please consider me happy to take part. 700-1000 points and a 6mm side challenge to Ian and Tamsin! And happy to take any 10mm side duels as well . Also if anyone wants to team up on the Entry fee let me know or I can see it being a Billy No mates entry fee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're marked in Clint. I put you down for 800, let me know if that works for you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Curt that is great. I will try to get more than 800 of course but so many Zulus to paint in 10mm and ACW to paint in 6mm that I fear it will mostly be small stuff.

      Delete
    3. The entry fee team is now up to 4

      Delete
  41. Hi Curt,

    If there is still room I am ready to join in to this year's painting challenge. Planning to work on some 15mm Sci-fi and 28mm Ancients this year. Setting a realistic target of 250 points, which seems low in comparison to some of the heavy hitters here but keeping my feet on the ground.

    Looking for a painting partner for the entry fee as well if any one is on their Jack Jones.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still looking for team member for the Challenge entry figures. Anyone interested?

      Cheers, Ross

      Delete
    2. Hi Ross, I'm also on my jack Jones,first time doing this I'd be happy to join forces email me on caveadsum1471@yahoo.com if you want.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  42. Groovy! I will target 750 points this time round. Not taking any leave from work this time round the sun. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you with us Brendon! I anticipate more lovely horses over the next few months...

      Delete
  43. Evening Curt. I have submitted my name to take part. I haven't painted much in the last 2 years so I will just aim for 500 points. I have some 25mm Vikings & Normans for two Saga Warbands, as well as 28mm Bolt Action Soviets. In addition I have a couple of 15mm DBA armies primed over a year ago. I hope this provides the incentive I need to paint.

    Last night I ordered 3 Hussite War Wagons from Irregular Miniatures to finish a long ago started projet. And as a start I used last weekend's beautiful weather to clean and prime some figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see another old Haligonian on board Rob. Would you be interested in a Dartmouth Ferry side duel?
      I am on for 800 points, but we could set the bar at smoother level than total points.
      Cheers
      Peter

      Delete
    2. Evening Peter, why not. I've put in for 500 points but will see how things go. There is a requirement for some sort of collaboration for our gentle organizer. Interested?

      Delete
  44. Excellent news Curt, please count me in. E-mail to follow shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Instead of "pilloring" cheaters, why not use the wargamers tar and feathers - white glue and flock?

    I wish that something similar to this could be done for making terrain or painting structures.
    Dick Bryant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried that two years ago and it made such a mess that Curt got into trouble with his better half. Besides, we've got all this rotten fruit left over from last year's end of Challenge party and it would be a shame to waste it, so pillorying it is :)

      Delete
  46. Hello everybody!
    I found out about this challenge also from Alex Sengir.
    I plan to take part in it. My target is 500 points.I plan to paint, principally, vehicle WWII on a scale of 15mm and 28mm figures of Napoleonic Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Apology (as I've discovered I haven't sent you last year's mini yet!!) and humble request for 500pts entrance has been emailed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you out Simon. I've signed you in with the other inmates. :)

      Delete
  48. What the heck! I am in. Might only be 6mm figs. First time round back to painting after twins were born so I guess I should keep it modest... But at least over the first benchmark, say 523 points :)
    and... Any chance of allowing 6mm and small stuff into the theme Bonus rounds somehow? Bigger isn't always they say...

    ReplyDelete
  49. I am in, been prepping for months it seems, anyone want to join Tamsin, Clint and myself in the 6mm side challenge?

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prep for me... I am starting raw and fresh. But sent for the entry fee figure9s) last night now I know what the team are doing.

      Delete
  50. Been prepping when I get time already for this. Count me in

    ReplyDelete
  51. I am not in for this year but will be following what transpires. I have a lot of sorting of stuff to do at the moment and don't think it will be possible to do the challenge. I also still owe my entry and side duel figs. Those will be forth coming. Thanks for doing the challenge. I'll look to be back next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let the dues keep you out Sean. Just drop me a note if you want in. :)

      Delete
  52. Hi, Curt. I like a lot the theme for this year (that is what I need) and I would like to be in with a 500 point mark. Is it possible? I also have a "tribute" for you from last year´s Challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  53. Curt, can we get a bit more of a description of what you are looking for in regards to the theme weeks? I ask as right now "east" and "west" could literally be anything. Meaning as an example, the "middle east" is east of Florida, but west of Japan, or east of Japan if you go around the globe. It could all be relative to your location, or perception. Meaning, as far as I can tell, I could do any figure I wanted (even sci-fi as it could be argued they are east or west of a relative point) for either of those weeks, as currently written.

    Also, "Terrain (home)", does that mean you want a home as terrain? Or that you want home made terrain?

    Hoping that clarification is coming in the start your engines email, but just making sure.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Byron,

      Similar to previous year's themes, I leave the interpretation of the theme's topic up to the participants' (though your definition of the 'middle east' is rather, um, creative ;)). It should be plausible or be able to be convincingly interpreted. :)

      The Terrain 'Home' theme should be a piece of terrain that can be interpreted as being some sort of home.

      I hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. Doctor Campbell's Home for Deranged Painters, for example.

      Delete
    3. Haha, I'd love to see that!

      Delete
  54. I painted as a kid and a little bit as an adult, although I've completed nothing so far in 2016. So, while I'm definitely out of my league here, I would still like to give it a go. I'm targeting 300 points, which may not sound like much but it's a big improvement on nothing. Looking forward to submitting some LOTR, Battletech, and maybe even Imperial Assault figures (if Santa is especially kind to me this year). -Drew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Challenge is not all about big points, though you will see some real big submissions but is all about encouraging you to increase your output. The challenge is full of friendly encouragement and not a small amount of good sport pokes to keep us all going.

      My output seems to drop each year but I have had more fun last year than any other so really looking forward to splashing some paint

      Ian

      Delete
  55. I agree with Ian and view the Painting Challenge as a personal challenge to commit more time and effort to my hobby of the past 35 years.

    Achieving high scores is great but so is completing that unit that finishes off a warband or company that you have been painting over the last twelve months. The rewards and satisfaction are relative to the individual as well as the collective group as a whole.

    Enjoy your painting challenge Drew, as I am sure we all will ours.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  56. I am very much looking forward to the upcoming challenge. With military winding down,the power plant completing outage and my house movement near complete... I am looking forward to some fun hobbytime!
    I just hope my wishlist doesn't grow too much this round! I am really excited about the raft of eyecandy that will be exploding on these pages! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  57. Email sent, first challenge entry for me. Winter to spring is good before business get busy in early spring. I am hoping the challenge will boot me along to complete a few dusty projects.

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays
    L'Hotel de Hercé
    53100 Mayenne
    France

    ReplyDelete