Saturday 31 December 2022

ScottR 28mm Selucid Phalanx for ADLG or Hail Caesar 24 figures (120 points)

Hi All,

Several years ago I started to amass a collection of Greek figures from Victrix.  Mainly because of a kickstarter for a skirmish game called Mortal Gods.  The game and all the miniatures have sat on my shelf for a couple of years now.  The exception was a greek Phalanx which i planned to build an actual Selucid Army from.  Thinking at the time it would be Hail Caesar.

I got as far as building the figures, and then undercoating them with wraithbone with the intent to try the new GW contrast colours.  I did a couple of test figures and was a bit mixed about the outcome.  

Now a couple of years have passed and I am a bit more used to playing around with the contrast paints.  Talking with my good friend Dennis Campbell aka 'Matt varnish'  we discussed playing Hail Caesar.  Now I have my Celts but as I was searching around for the extra chariots I found this unit all ready to go.

So this was a start yesterday at around 10 am to paint and base the unit before I go away on a weeks holiday.

Mission accomplished. 30 hours plus sleep and house chores and the unit is done.  I would be interested in peoples thoughts on the results of using just contrast paints.  Oh except the leather strap across the chest for the shields.

Sorry about the pics as well.  I have a new light box and trying to work out the best background for pictures.  Black next or any recommendations.  I can go back to pictures on the gaming mat if this is better.  please let me know.














The unit is two stands.  Each stand is a 60 x 60mm.  One stand represents one unit in Art de La Guerre (ADLG).  Both stands would be used for one unit in Hail Caesar.  We use a standard of 60mm frontages for Hail caesar so we can also do ADLG.  The total is 24 figures with 12 figures in 4 man frontage and 3 deep per base.

Pictures using gaming mat background.






24 x 28mm figures for 120 points.

Happy New Year everyone and may our brushes be ever busy and your miniature pile ever diminishing!  See you in a week.

______________________

Oh wow, this beefy pike block looks fantastic, Scott! The blue tunics and shields are very eye-catching, and I really like the wood effect on the pikes.  Very impressive. As to photos, I'm always partial to a homogenous background so the subject stands out, but that is just my preference. The shots of them on terrain look excellent too.

Looking forward to your next entry!

- Curt

17 comments:

  1. A very nice pike block! Ahh! rebasing... For many years now I've basing all my minis individually in 20x20 mm bases. Everytime we change rules I only need now to adapt the sabots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pike block, unfortunately I don't have any photo tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see 28mm ancients making a comeback. I love the sight of massive units clashing on the table

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love some successor pikes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love a good pike unit! Always looks the business, and this is no different! Great work

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always great to see 28mm ancients and always like to see Hellenistic types. Great brush work, love the blue and shields. Not sure if you’ve tried it but I find that a light wash of raw umber or similar picks out the details on the linthothorax.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful unit of pike, Scott! I really like the shields you painted and the colors really pop on them nice as group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, sorry I cant take credit for the shields. They are decals from LBMS specific for Victrix figures.

      Delete
  8. Excellent work Scott. The painting is ace and time well spent. The colors pop and the blocks are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they look fabulous! I’m a fan of the contrast paints and you have used them very well. As for the photos, I’m hardly the person to advise you but I like the black background better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great pike block indeed, love how the shield designs work with the rest of the paintjob.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And very nice they all look too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice block of pike, with those shields they look superb

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great looking block, that dense formation has a wonderful imposing presence!

    ReplyDelete