Saturday 31 December 2022

From AndrewB: The biggest 40k project I’ve ever completed [Sci-Fi] (50 pts)


I’ve owned GW models from the Warhammer 40,000 range for twenty years or so, and have largely moved past them for the last decade, despite multiple armies having passed over the hobby desk.  Then a buddy mentioned in passing how cool the big McFarlane space marine models were.  When I ordered one off Amazon(cheaper than a good number of ‘32mm’ single marines from GW), I wasn’t sure exactly how large it would be.  Needless to say, I was rather surprised when it showed up at nearly the scale of a Barbie doll.  I was expecting something along the lines of a traditional action figure.  With great gusto, I jumped right in with a new head printed at home.  






Forgive the improvised superglue stand, he intends to place it in some sort of individual display which includes a stand/cradle which will hold it in place.  Otherwise, it's dangerously top heavy, and the soft plastic makes it a perfect candidate for chipped paint.  My improvised backdrop is likewise quite cringe, but I'll work on getting it improved for future posts.  It was a fun model to paint, but quite challenging, as I'm not a particularly adept painter at 28mm, much less this scale, which turns out to be roughly...  


At approximately 170-180mm, I'm not sure where this falls on the scoring matrix, which rather sensibly stops at 54mm. I'll also be shooting for 20pts from the Studio Challenge's Sci-Fi room. My apologies to the wonderful minion deciding the points.

I'm excited to see what else I can get posted in the next couple days of the free for all!

____________________________________

Wow, he's certainly a BIG lad! Great work Andrew, I think you've done a magnificent job him, especially with your clean brushwork and use of subtle shading. I also really like the head swap you've done on him. Until you mentioned it I assumed it was stock to the original model. Good one!

As to points, I figure he's similar in mass to a very large 28mm vehicle, so let's go with 30 points a base.

Thanks for sharing this big Blood Angel with us, Andrew!

- Curt

9 comments:

  1. That's a stonking great figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, that's a big beast and very nicely painted, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the giant Spam, I did one for the challenge last year so I know how tricky they can be to paint. Yours is very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular painting on that monster model

    ReplyDelete
  5. That big boy looks great, Andrew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on this giant figure, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh but he's a big lad even for an Astartes, great paintjob!

    ReplyDelete