Saturday 31 December 2022

From KyleC - 40k Terrain - (80pts)


Well I can say, hand on heart, I did not enjoy this bit of painting. 

Plenty of airbrush work (priming, base coating, dust/diet application, OSL).. but it was a right slog and really not enjoyable. 

Which is a right shame as I need to get more terrain painted up this year. 

Mostly due to wanting to get more gaming in this year, and utilizing my newly renovated garage for said gaming! 

I did try a few different colours and trials to get a main color laid down but the weathering helped tie it all together. 

I still have a few bits of scatter terrain but I will sort that out soon enough. 

For now, back to other bits and bobs. Plus an injection of some D&D models requested for a live game happening in January. So that should fit the High Adventure quota soon...

4 blocks of terrain @20 PTS each - 80pts

Not ideal for points considering how long it took compared to the infantry models.. but hey ho.. it is what it is.. and a required evil at times. 

____________________________

Yep, I'm with you with terrain: You absolutely need it but you always feel like it's stealing time from painting figures. That being said, these walls and structures look excellent, Kyle. I particularly like the grimy lower sections and the lighting effects. Ace work!

- Curt

25 comments:

  1. That is some stunning terrain, might have been a pain, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They do look the business and am glad I did the lower brown sections in the end. Gives it a bit more contrast this way Vs without. But still a pain. And I sadly have much more to go 😔

      Delete
    2. I guess with the brown they will blend to the board easier.

      Delete
  2. Grand job. The investment in terrain is never wasted .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. And it's one thing I need to do in 2023. Especially if I want to play more games at home. So expect to see more terrain posts in the challenge this year then.

      Delete
  3. Very nice painting job. The lightning effect is great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple but effective airbrush use ( Vs the not so simple and not as effective airbrush use in other spots on this terrain)

      Delete
  4. Painting terrain, it can be a bore can't it? But you've done well here Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That terrain looks great, Kyle! :)

    ReplyDelete

  6. These look great, I've spent the last few months painting up terrain for my Necromunda table, so understand your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, don't get me started there... I have a few boards worth of Necromunda terrain, that after this I am literally fearing doing now.. and I havent even begun the detailing aspect to them yet!

      Delete
  7. The terrain looks really good, Kyle! I like the lighting effect! It is a slog to get through terrain. Half the reason I submitted the sirbrush challenge is to finally get through my boxes of terrain and tanks! ;)
    That red really contrasts well with the splashed earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Airbrushed were required and I would not even got close to finishing it without it. I have some fantasy terrain to get sorted also so more airbrush time is scheduled soon.

      And yeah the earthen dusting etc on the bottom was needed.to help break up all the red there..

      Delete
  8. Excellent terrain Kyle. Always the hardest effort but well worth it once on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was definitely an effort there.. thankfully the oil wash took forever to dry so I could get a 'few' other models finished in the meantime ;)

      Delete
  9. You may not have liked it very much, but the result is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Just need to get through it. I have more terrain to do up very soon so will see what I can do to make it feel more 'fun'.

      Delete
  10. That is an awesome paint scheme Kyle. The terrain will look brilliant on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lets hope so! Should place it on, with some troops, and see how they look and if any changes on future bits are required.

      Delete
  11. They may have been a slog but the results are definitely worth it, you've done a really good job with these, great work!

    ReplyDelete