Saturday 31 December 2022

From PeterB - Mandalorian and Grogu (twice) - Sci-fi - 37 points

Wow you have all been super busy over Christmas. I must only apologize I have struggled to keep up with all the posts that have been springing up every day. I can only imagine some folks had their painting trays pushed aside at the last minute on Christmas day to make room for the turkey and trimmings, the volume and quality of painting that has been going on. I for one did manage to commandeer the dining table once the washing up was finally done and so with apologies to those not interested in Star Wars, but very quickly after GregB presented this pair of adventurers, I too present the Mandalorian and Child.








These are the official Star Wars Legion models, the Mandalorian is quite tall, pretty much the same height as a current GW Space Marine, so I am not sure exactly what scale the system is supposed to be! The set came with a choice of two Grogu's, using the force or eating a frog. Obviously I had a spare base in my bits box, so I painted up both. I love the gunslinger pose on the Mandalorian, a real throw back to those spaghetti westerns.

I don't have any other Star Wars Legions models (this was a random purchase egged on by my youngest who is a massive fan of the series) I suspect we probably won't be getting into the system due to the high price point. Also if we did we would need to use some Google translate for using Mando as the box and accompanying cards were all in German. The dangers of not paying attention when ordering from Amazon I guess!

They are mostly painted with Coat D'arms and then Grogu has a GW Sepia Shade wash and Mando, Nuln Oil wash on his Beskar. The sticky tufts of grass are from Bad Squiddo.

What better example for a visit to the Sci-fi studio than something from the most well known of Sci-fi franchises. Next stop, Black and White. I don't think they make Kevin Smith's Clerks characters in 28mm.....

 

To the points:

 1 and 2 half 32mm scale figures - 10 points

Sci-fi studio bonus - 20 points

Total - 30 points

_____________________________

No worries, Peter, I can't get enough Star Wars stuff, especially the more recent Disney ventures. You did an excellent job on these three, especially with the tone of Mando's armour (Nuln oil is pure witchcraft). Your youngest must be over the moon with the set! If you have a chum with a resin 3D printer you can tap into the HUGE amount of cheap figures being produced for the franchise (frankly many of the fan sculpts are better than the official offerings). 

I scored Mando as a 40mm figure, as that seems to be the scale they're using and I put the little guy at (a generous) 28mm. 

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for Black and White!

- Curt

13 comments:

  1. Grand looking Mando, Peter! Nice work on the colors too, I like the little fellow munching on the frog best! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are excellent Peter. The armor is well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Peter! I recommend the "Star Wars" figures very much, although I would not bother with the absurdly complicated "Legion" rules themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great figures, Peter! The mandalorian especially is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Barks has pointed out: this is the Way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic frog-eating action!

    ReplyDelete