Wednesday 25 January 2023

From PeterB - A Viking Bust - Art House - 80 Points

 

Well met fellow Challengers, it has been a fortnight. A bout of mystery illness and extra weekend working slowed my work a little so I unfortunately did not have anything to post last week. I am however back with a vengeance.  

After successfully completing the full house last week with my faithful Green Security Pass leaving me at the Casting Couch studio, I now have no choice but to attempt to collect a full set of Blues.


With my newly acquired Blue Security Pass around my neck (I am sure Tour Guide Tamsin could provide a suitable lanyard so I don't lose it) a quick hop down the path and I am at Studio Art House.

On the theme of Art House, I have been meaning to have another attempt at painting a 3D printed bust a friend of mine asked me to paint for him a while ago. I really enjoyed the task, so I asked if he minded printing another one for myself with the intention of possibly entering in a painting competition at the next show I go to. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I am anywhere near good enough to win anything, but I just thought I would do it for the experience. Doing this hobby has helped me to keep challenging myself. Writing my blog, meeting new people, chatting to strangers at shows, it keeps the mind fresh. Why not get the adrenaline rushing with a little competition as well?






The paints are all Coat D'arms and Citadel paints, but there are lots of mixes going on. I tried to avoid using washes and inks to avoid the shine they produce, instead opting to make washes by just watering down the acrylic paint with water.

I have had the piece a good couple of months while waiting for me to paint it, I was saving it for the challenge. I did think about changing the colour scheme from my first attempt, but it is pretty similar to last time. The main differences are the washes being my own mix this time. I can't promise I won't have another go at him before April when I go to Salute, but for now I am happy with him.

 

Some close up details


 

Size wise he is 140mm tall so 20 points?

Studio bonus for Art House 20 points

Oh and last post I visited 4 studios but only claimed 60 points, so can I claw back that extra 20 please?

So, total, 60 points?


Minion MilesR: Wow that's not a mini - its a piece of art.  Amazing painting - at 140mm tall, I think he's worth 40 points and that's still stingy.  As for mercy, well Gus and I need to confer......  OK we voted and mercy was approved by 2 votes to 1.  Gus says Dogs get 2 votes.  Mercy shall be granted - THIS time...  80 points total for you

27 comments:

  1. Thanks Miles (and Gus) you are too kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Peter, especially like the holey sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work, nice 1000 yard stare!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely brushwork Peter. A perfect choice for the Arthouse studio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work there Peter. I really enjoy the way you did the skin there on it. Really good use of highlights and shading for skin throughout it. Would only say, and its for improvement only, to add more shadows into the slowing there, Everything is a bit samey on his yellow shirt especially.. But a wonderful bust and a great painting on it overall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyle, you are exactly right. I appreciate the feedback. I will admit I did concentrate on the face rather than the rest of the bust. If I want to enter it into competition it needs improvement, so thank you.

      Delete
    2. The effort you put in the face (and arm) can be seen. Great job there!

      Delete
  6. Excellent work Peter, the eyes are very good, very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the hair! Gives a real grizzled veteran look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. Yeah, he's definitely not a young viking is he?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a fabulous piece Peter.

    I have a large collection of unpainted busts and 54 up to 120mm figures. Perhaps next year a large Miniature challenge …..

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete