Saturday 14 January 2023

From ScottR - 15mm Battlefront Australian Force for NAM (338 points)

 Hi all,

Well after a week away for a break with the wife I returned Sat and got stuck into my NAM.  My friend Dennis is working on his NVA and I am sure you will see some of his work posted here soon.  So I decided to drag out my Australians and get them done.  Now I had the opportunity to clean these up in the week leading up to the kickoff so i was ready to go.

Anyway On my saturday i broke out the airbrush and did a couple of layers of a green basecoat with a top down highlight.  This was followed by wash using the Army painter Strong Tone.  This was followed with a drybrush using Russian uniform with a tiny bit of Deck tan to lighten.


Once the drybrush was done I could start work on teh details.  This included boots, webbing, weapons, radios, binos etc.

Once all the additions were complete i did a base flesh using the rose flesh from Vallejo, this was then finished with a wash using Citadels Guilliman Flesh contrast.



The figures were painted on Sunday with a few small details finished off on Monday.  This gave me the chance to break out the artillery bases and get them built, undercoated and up to the same level as the infantry.

That left Today, Tuesday to get the basing sorted and done.  I started off with AKs Muddy ground.  This was done in the morning and then placed out in front of the gas fireplace to speed up the drying process.  I like the colour, its a nice dark brown with a slight red tinge.  Perfect for a jungle floor!  This was then drybrushed with cavalry brown.  This then left me to work out what sort of ground cover to put down.  While in teh UK i managed to pick up this shredded bark like material and so i figured it would be perfect for the task.




Perfect start.  Now to find some suitable brush that would be very jungle -ish.  Again, going back into my stash of terrain items picked up in the UK, i found some really nice bushes and long grasses.






Ok, I was really happy with the result.  I kept the bushes down to a minimum as in the a thick jungle cover there is very little undergrowth and I ddnt want to smother the miniatures.  Hard to find suitable vegetation for 15mm scale.

So i am pretty happy with the end result.  The next step will be to do the vehicles.  I have 12 Centurions, 8 M113 APcs, 4 M113 FSV (Fire Support Vehicles), 1 UH1H Medivac helo and I was lucky enough to find a 1/144 scale Kiowa observation Helo for the artillery.



I also picked up a 1/144 scale Caribou aircraft used by the RAAF to move supplies and troops.  I have the right decals for it as well and I will hopefully be able to get it done as well.  I aim to do a combat field airstrip terrain piece for it.  Anyway. thats a little down the road.  Vehicles first.  i still ahve to build 4 M113s!

So here they are complete and laid on the table.












Point calculation for Analogue painting

 

25 bases x 4 figures = 100 figures @ 2 points = 200 points

11 bases x 3 figures = 33 figures @ 2 points = 66 points

4 bases  x 4 figures = 16 figures @ 2 points = 32 points

4 10 bases x 1 gun = 4 guns @ 8 4 points = 32 40 points

Total points 320 338.  I couldnt work out what the guns were so i just gave them the vehicle 8 points since the bases were resin terrain pieces as well. :)  

 

Wow, that is a wonderful looking points bomb to start your army off with. The basing materials you have used add a lot to the figures and really evoke the kind of dense, wild terrain the war was fought in. Your preview of the armoured component for your force has me eager to see it completed.

In 15mm, guns are worth 4 points each, but it looks like you have 6 mortar teams in the platoon as well, and I believe that they count as guns too, so while you are scoring less per weapon, your score is a bit higher than you initially thought. 

On a stricter note, please don't forget to add your handle to the labels, it makes things easier when people visit the AHPC blog. 

19 comments:

  1. Fantastic Scott, great to see a Aussie army being built!

    If you need the names for the Aussie fir support scorpion turret M113s I posted it on TMP a long time ago when I worked at the Australian War Memorial.

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt, do you mean the names of the vehicles? They are Saladin turrets. I served 28 years in the RAAC and I have crawled around one of tehse at the Museum in Pucka. But if you have actual vehicle names then that would be epic to add to my models.

      Delete
    2. You are correct theFSV Saladin turret for early model for Vietnam.

      Found the TMP reference

      https://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=261069

      Plus psosted it on my blog

      Cheers
      Matt

      Delete
    3. Found them

      Fire Support Coy
      FSV Saladin turret 76mm gun
      SANDGROPER
      DENISE 42A
      COMALCO
      TINY TEDDY
      XXXX
      BEWITCHED
      BEAST BOTHERED
      134711 (UNAMED)

      From 2cav website

      Delete
  2. These look great, I particularly like the basing, you've managed to get it looking right for the region.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Scott. Really loving the photos showing the professor from plain mdf to final terrain scaped bases. The use of foliage is really good. Looking forward to the Centurions

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, Scott, the basing really finishes them off. Well, you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great 15mm work Scott -- love the basing particularly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful basing. I have used ground up bark for jungle and forest basing before- as you work shows, it looos great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff Scott! I do like the bushes, but the brushwork and over-all look are great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great painting and outstanding ground work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As others have mentioned, great job on the groundwork.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely brushwork,Scott! The ground work is very well done and the troops stick out just enough and seem to be working the micro terrain.! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well done. Love the bases and a great project. Always tempting and I’ve toyed with 10mm. No leap yet, but your work tempts again.

    ReplyDelete