Saturday 21 January 2023

ScottR 28mm Hail Caesar Greek and Celt (70 points)

 With litlle time left before work cuts into my painting time I have been using all my spare time to get things painted.  My goal for the Analogue Painting Comp this yeat was 700 points.  Well happy to say i ahve already met and passed my goal.  I have about a week left before I start travel with work and therefore will lose the next 3 and half weeks.

Now enough of my woes.  Yesterday i managed to build and paint two 28mm large models.  

The first is a Warlord Games Elephant for my Hellenistic/Successor Greeks.  Sorry no special requirements for this.  Just straight out of the box with Javelin thrower in support.  Javelin thrower is from Victrix.



So here is the elephant finished off.  I used the same basing materials as I did for the Phalanx posted earlier.  This will be the 'Mediterranian' scheme for the Greeks.  The bushes give a nice contrast to the yellowish base colour.










So at the same time I worked on my Celtic Terrain piece.  This could be used as an objective, baggage or even a command base at a pinch.  The Cross I picked up at Colours in Newbury in 2018.  It has been sitting around waiting for me to do my Celts.  The Female figures are from Stuart at Colonel Bill's.  Again, I have had this since Colours and would be a part of the Cross piece.  The General is either a Warlord or Black tree Design figure.  Not sure honestly.

I did do a bit of scratch building with this.  I took the heads and staff being held from the Victrix Chariot box to make the Totems.One head, the Roman legionaire with bandage was taken from the Warlords veteran box.  This just required a bit of cutting and gluing.






The flagstones around the base were a plan in the making for some time.  I had picked up one of the Green Stuff World rollers a few years back from my local store.  Using DAS clay I rolled out a set of patterns.

The roller
is easy to use and a bit of water sprinkled on the clay stops it from sticking.


Once this was dry i could cut them up into paving blocks, break them, etc for a more realistic look, well sort of.  They were then laid down onto the basing surface while it was still very wet.  The surface was manipulated with a brush to partialy cover, andget in between the stones.


These wre then painted, washed, drybrushed.  Then once the base was dry a bit of grass and foliage was added.  Again, keeping with teh same style as the rest of my Celt Army.

Once this was done the Totems were then glued into place and the terrain piece was finished.















So here are some close ups.  Sorry the colour from my camers is a little off and a little out of focus.  not the best for Macro shots.






Ok so there we go. A nice days work.
I have a week left. So trying to get as much in as possible.  Next up on the bench I will be going back to my 15mm Australians.  This time to get the Vehicles done and out of the road.

As for points. well Curtis this will be up to you.

Hellenistic Greek Elephant
28mm Vehicle (Elephant @ 20 points.
4 5 x 28mm figures @ 5 points for total of 20 25 points
Total 40 points

Celt Terrain/Objective Piece
Celt Cross and flagstones terrain piece...... ?  5 Points
4 x 28mm figures @ 5 points for a total of 20 points

Both projects are 60 points plus whatever Curtis wants to add. 

Those models all look great, Scott. I like the basing effect on the cross you used, I think my local hobby store carries those rollers, I may need to go and take a look now. The heads on the spears are a great way to get some use out of the bits left on sprues after finishing a unit. I really like the elephant and its crew too, the metalwork on the armour is very smooth.

Points wise, I am not sure how large the cross is exactly, but I figure 5 points should cover it. I also counted 4 crew and the javelin thrower on the elephant, so I have increased your score accordingly. 


20 comments:

  1. Fabulous elephant I must say, loving the temple too.

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice, i love the elephant. Now checking the lead pile to see if I have an elephant to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one wonderful elephant, but the terrain piece is even better. Well done, Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, upon seeing the Elephant I thought it couldn't get any better but then you showed us the flooring for your Celts and I must say that's even cooler! I am a big fan of the rollers from Green stuff world and you have shown just how good the results of these can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no idea why blogger reset my account status to Anonymus but it is I monsieur Lecrleq ;-)

      Delete
  5. I love those flagstones, I think a few of us will be investigating these rollers! Great painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all. I have about 6 of teh rollers. I have the Celt, a Roman then different styles of flag stones and brick for roads and paths. The elephant from Warlord is a fantastic model to build. Lucky me I have another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work, Scott, especially the glamorous Nellie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work, the flagstones came out nicely. The heffalump is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the elephant but the temple is awesome- very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this entry. The armoured elephant is very impressive and the temple is pure genius. Well done Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool stuff all round! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that armoured elephant looks absolutely smashing! And I love your custom terrain piece, really very good. Well done, Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's both a bit of class and genius here

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nicely done, Scott! The elephant is very smooth and I really like his bronze helmet. That cross is very well thought out! I like the thought and plan with the pavers! That is a grand idea I have to file away for future use!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love everything about this post. Fab work Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on surpassing your Challenge XIII goal - the minis look great and the work with the Green Stuff World roller is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful trophy base, but the elephant is a real centrepiece!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great work on your temple and elephant!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete