Saturday 21 January 2023

From Millsy: Oathmark Fantasy (440 points)

G'day All,

Second post for me today, and the second large submission I've been working on since the start of this Challenge. It continues my low fantasy human army for Oathmark that I worked on in last year's Challenge. With these additions I'm nearly through all the miniatures I have purchased thus far, with just a number of small cavalry units to go now (more on that to come).

Apologies for the poor photos of some stuff. I'm absolutely knackered at the moment and my attention to detail when taking the pics was suboptimal to say the least. :-P

Warlord and Friends

All metal North Star Miniatures models, from both the proper Oathmark range and also their wider fantasy range. Oathmark doesn't use command stands, with all miniatures meant to be based on 25mm squares if infantry but I can't help myself. I'll just sit this guy behind the unit he's joined for the sake of having something shiny on the table.


The banner is knocked up in Photoshop from free heraldic elements off the interwebs. The king had his head "upgraded" to give him a crested helm in preference to the original mail coif. His bodyguard is  undefeated in single combat and known throughout the land as The Molehill. 15 points.


Assorted Heroes and Spellcasters

All metal North Star Miniatures models, from both the proper Oathmark range and also their wider fantasy range once again. Some will join units as buffs, other roam about creating chaos on their own. 25 points.


Two Infantry Units

A mix of mostly plastic Oathmark miniatures, kit bashed with old Mordheim spares and assorted other things from my extensive bits box. Painting the shields alone took three hours!



I'm reorganising my infantry units, enlarging existing ones as I go so these will be split out to combine with existing units to bring each up to 15 miniatures apiece.



200 points in total.

Engineers and Artillery

Plastic Oathmark miniatures once again, kitbashed with the Fireforge Games Northmen Peasant set to provide engineering tools. These are also my submission for the Studios Under Construction lot. The war engines are 3D printed cheap as chips items from Printable Scenery and the roughness of the PLA printing process kinda works here. 95 points in total including Studios bonus.






Dwarf Linebreakers

These are Oathmark plastics again, but in this instance for my Dwarf army. I'm basing that army for use in other systems too so these will have movement trays for Oathmark. These were cracking fun to paint and I've added a hand painted banner to match the rest of the army. 100 points.




Freebies

Lastly some stuff that was painted before the Challenge but not based until now. No score for these but I thought people might be interested...

Fireforge Games Northmen Folk Rabble kit bashed with Oathmark, Mordheim and more, led by an Oathmark metal heroine. Really enjoyed building these so it's a shame they'll be vaporised in no time most likely.



And some dodgy plastic Russian kids toy Norse warriors, around 60mm tall and painted up as animated stone statues.



So that's a healthy 435 points for my tally all up, which takes me past the 50% mark of my target. Nice!

Cheers,
Millsy


Great work on these Oathmark minis, The kitbashing potential of all of the plastic fantasy kits on the market these days is phenomenal and you have made good use of the options available. I have thrown in a few bonus points for painted shields, banners and for getting your peasants based up and ready to be die in a futile last stand against anything stronger than a stiff breeze. 

Don't forget to treat us to a picture of the completed army when you get the last few figures done, I'm sure it will look epic laid out on the table.

18 comments:

  1. Nice work, Millsy! :)

    I'm sure I remember someone doing red & black livery for a huge army several Challenges ago...BrendonW! That was the chap! But his was more War of the Roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. I paint way too much red and black but I just can't help myself!

      Delete
    2. I think it was "for Beer & Bacon". :)

      Delete
  2. These really are all excellent, Millsy, although I particularly like the dwarves. However, the humans with their shields and the war engines are also very good. A very fine job indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's brilliant Millsy - have you got any tips for using other plastic stuff from Northstar - did you use any frostrgrave stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks valleyboy. Pretty much all the Northstar kits bash well together, including the Frostgrave ones of which I've used off warrior and female wizard bits. Even the Oathmark dwarf and human arms are sufficiently close in size to be interchangeable. Fireforge Games are a similar size too.

      Delete
  4. A superb entry Mr Millsy - really like the repurchased animated stone giants

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous work Mr. Mills. I think it's great that you couldn't help yourself, as your command stand is terrific (love The Molehill). I also think those hours put into your red and black shields really paid off as they look brilliant. Nonetheless, I think my favourites are your heavily armoured dwarves, with the only downside being that they're not in metal (it somehow seems apropos to have dwarves in metal). Impressive work, Millsy, and congrats on getting halfway to your target in the first month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the work on those Millsy, really like the dwarfs and the command stand is outstanding!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look awesome Millsy. I love the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff mate, they look fab!
    Sorry to miss you at CanCon this year

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great painting - really like the command base.
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grand fantasy bomb, Millsy! I like the humans, especially the command stand you made with the runt bodyguard. My favorite are the dwarfs though. I like very much your color choice on them. Those are some wicked sculpts of armored dwarves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful brush work. The feel of these units is really cohesive. I too have a favourite paint palate and try to get it into as many armies as possible. Cannot wait for next instalment.

    ReplyDelete