Friday 14 January 2022

From LeeH‌ ‌-‌ ‌Berber‌ ‌Horsemen (180 ‌Points)‌ ‌

I ‌had‌ ‌hoped‌ ‌to‌ ‌get‌ ‌these‌ ‌finished‌ ‌last‌ ‌week‌ ‌but‌ ‌illness‌ ‌(yet‌ ‌again)‌ ‌knocked‌ ‌me‌ ‌out‌ ‌for‌ ‌a‌ ‌couple‌ ‌of‌ ‌days‌ ‌and‌ ‌I‌ ‌fell‌ ‌behind‌ ‌schedule.‌ ‌I‌ ‌was‌ ‌able‌ ‌to‌ ‌crack‌ ‌on‌ ‌with‌ ‌them‌ ‌over‌ ‌the‌ ‌weekend‌ ‌and‌ ‌I’m‌ ‌really‌ ‌happy‌ ‌with‌ ‌the‌ ‌finished‌ ‌figures having had a little more time to work on them.‌ ‌ ‌



The‌ ‌Berbers‌ ‌rode‌ ‌a breed‌ ‌of‌ ‌North‌ ‌African‌ ‌horses‌ ‌called‌ ‌Barb,‌ ‌which‌ ‌was ‌typically‌ ‌smaller‌ ‌than‌ ‌those‌ ‌found‌ ‌in‌ ‌European ‌armies.‌ ‌The‌ ‌predominant‌ ‌colour‌ ‌of‌ ‌this‌ ‌breed‌ ‌is‌ ‌Bay‌ ‌or‌ ‌Dark‌ ‌Bay‌ ‌but‌ ‌they‌ ‌also‌ ‌include‌ ‌some‌ ‌Black‌ ‌and‌ ‌Grey’s‌ ‌so‌ ‌I‌ ‌included‌ ‌a‌ ‌few‌ ‌of‌ ‌those‌ ‌as‌ ‌well.‌ ‌ ‌





I‌ ‌have‌ ‌painted‌ ‌two‌ ‌groups‌ ‌of‌ ‌Berber‌ ‌Cavalry,‌ ‌mostly‌ ‌sword-wielding ‌warriors‌ ‌but‌ ‌one‌ ‌unit ‌is‌ ‌armed‌ ‌with‌ ‌old‌ ‌muskets‌ ‌and‌ ‌obsolete‌ ‌(for‌ ‌the‌ ‌time‌ ‌period)‌ ‌rifles.‌ ‌Half‌ ‌are‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌blue‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌Tureges‌ ‌while‌ ‌the‌ ‌other‌ ‌half‌ ‌are‌ ‌in‌ ‌white‌ ‌robes.‌ ‌Each‌ ‌unit‌ ‌is‌ ‌ten‌ ‌strong‌ ‌and‌ ‌I‌ ‌have‌ ‌done‌ ‌four‌ ‌mounted‌ ‌leaders‌ ‌to‌ ‌accompany‌ ‌them.‌ ‌To‌ ‌make‌ ‌these‌ ‌stand‌ ‌out‌ ‌a‌ ‌bit‌ ‌more‌ ‌I‌ ‌have‌ ‌given‌ ‌the‌ ‌leaders‌ ‌more‌ ‌decorative‌ ‌bases. with some white desert flowers as well as the usual rocks and thornbushes. 

 ‌ ‌



For‌ ‌these‌ ‌models‌, ‌I‌ ‌mixed‌ ‌and‌ ‌matched‌ ‌techniques‌ ‌a‌ ‌bit,‌ ‌using‌ ‌a‌ ‌combination‌ ‌of‌ ‌contrast‌ ‌paints‌ ‌on‌ ‌some‌ ‌areas,‌ ‌block‌ ‌painting‌ ‌and‌ ‌shading‌ ‌in‌ ‌other‌ ‌areas‌ ‌and‌ ‌different‌ ‌coloured‌ ‌washes‌ ‌for‌ ‌different‌ ‌parts‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌model.‌ ‌I’m‌ ‌really‌ ‌happy‌ ‌with‌ ‌the‌ ‌overall‌ ‌effect,‌ ‌especially‌ ‌as‌ ‌I‌ ‌haven’t‌ ‌painted‌ ‌15mm‌ ‌cavalry‌ ‌in‌ ‌any‌ ‌significant‌ ‌number‌ ‌for‌ ‌many‌ ‌many years‌ ‌(I’m‌ ‌usually‌ ‌doing‌ ‌6mm‌ ‌horses, which are much easier!).‌ ‌ ‌

Points Scoring:
44x15mm‌ ‌Cavalry ‌=‌ ‌176‌ ‌Points‌ ‌

From DaveD
Wow - they really look the part Lee - mind i think you need to make the dust clouds that go behind them as per your WW2 North Africa stuff . I always find Old Glory stuff paints up so well - and these are no exception. The variety of horse colour has really worked and the mass effect is great - im going to round these up to 180! 

19 comments:

  1. Thank you, any extra points are most welcome. I'm eyeing up my French Foreign Legion now, along with some scatter terrain and a fort. Not sure how much will get done in the next week, but I'm climbing towards my target faster than planned so I'm not going to stress too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They‘re a fierce looking bunch, Lee! The horses have come out nicely

    ReplyDelete
  3. great work, now where did I put my Lewis gun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, the blue works really well. A fine job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Lee! Especially the blue ones pop-up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Lee, any FFL that you get painted will have their work cut out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great mounted horde Lee, like the overall effect a lot. But the individual figures are excellent, I am surprised that you went for individual basing for 15s but the effect is stunning.

    Time to lock up one’s daughters and goats and prefer to defend the camp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be using TMWWBK's so basing singly made sense to me. I am planning on making (our maybe buying) some movement trays to make shifting them around the table a little bit easier.

      Delete
  8. Impressive output Lee and I agree, they look greta indeed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those look just smashing, Lee. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive output. The horde looks imposing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very fine entry Lee, I especially lIke the effort you took to get a variety of horse colours and the shading on the white robes is very nice. Lots of work there, they look great, well done.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super job Lee, lovely group of Cavalry 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is some fantastic looking Calvary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look like shots from a film!

    ReplyDelete