Friday 14 January 2022

From TomG - On The March To Salem via Arda - 640pts and lots of ACW (Arda) (Sarah's Yacht)

Hey all, I have returned with many figures to share with you all. I have however decided to go no further on the planet rings until my American Civil War project is finished, and yet I wanted to get the outer ring completed. 

So here we are, first port of call is a trip on Sarah's Yacht with this female mouse figure out of the board game "Mice & Mystics", measuring in at the 28mm mark. 


Although not my favourite model I have ever painted, it went quickly and, I feel, turned out quite nicely. Sadly it wasn't until too late that I noticed the photos are slightly out of focus... whoops. 

But with this ticket bought (properly this time) I shall sail all the way to Arda, and bring out this fantastic Highlander Cow, which admittedly is my wife's, but I was given permission to paint it for her. 

He was a delight to paint, and a fun challenge to get the hair as ginger as possible. This was also my first time painting tartan, and it was both terrifying and fun, all at the same time. 

Now on to the project at hand! To join in with the two stands of Union troops from last week, I bring you the final 60 Yankees. Again all of this project will be painted with GW Contrast Paints, in an experiment to see just how quickly I can get them done. 

Now to this week's main focus; 2 sprues of Confederates, each sprue containing 100 infantry, 1 mounted officer, 1 cannon and 4 crew. Although rough and ready, the speed in which an all grey force comes together is very motivating for me. 

All told each sprue takes about 3 hours, with breaks, which allows for one an evening if I knuckle down, and the kids go to bed on time! 



So there we go, a grand total of 277 figures in one week, which is definitely a personal best for me, and one I will try to beat for next Friday!

Points Breakdown - 
15mm Infantry x 272 @ 2pts = 544pts
15mm Mounted x 3 @ 4pts = 12pts
15mm Artillery Piece x 3 @ 4pts = 12pts
28mm Mouse @ 5pts + Star Yacht @ 20pts = 25pts
28mm Mounted (monster) @ 10 pts + Challenge 20pts = 30pts

See you all next week. 

Tom. 

From DaveD
Did you hear that one coming people! Its a whole lotta KABOOM from Tom. That's a fine Highland cow - I am sure James from the chat will be impressed! Its been great to have you around on the evening chats this week and watch you work through the sprues while chatting the tedium away - the way you have chosen to do them is certainly working. I have topped you up with extra points for being a tartan virgin for a grand total of 640!

20 comments:

  1. Wow that’s a sh*t ton of ACW stuff painted up Tom, fast and well done.
    Our group is a fan of Mice & Mystics and Tilda is my own character. I’ve painted up the hero’s from my set in a prior challenge.
    Still trying to come up with a Scotch pun Minotaur variant by my COVID brain isn’t up to the task,

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Highlander cow, which admittedly is my wife's" - oh, the things you read in the Painting Challenge! Great work...and oddly causing me to wonder about painting some Highlanders myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite a kaboom and in one week! The bull is ace, very good colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fantastic output of ACW stuff, Tom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Tom, you really pulled the stops out for this entry - fantastic work! Our group are big fans of Mice & Mystics, so it's great to see Tilda done up so well. Love the Higlander Cow! I can just hear him bellowing, 'Oy, I'm Red Angus, nice to meetch ewe!' :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cow. I love how impressive that sword is. As an owner of a British Napoleonic army I salute you sir for attempting (nay succeeding) tartan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gordon Bennett! That's a lot of fantastic stuff. The ACW looks awesone

    ReplyDelete
  8. A tsunami of models!!!!! The mouse and the Scottish minotaur are my favourites

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally love that Angus, and the mouse is a sweetie too 😜

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! great stuff the ACW stuff is excellent! the Scottish Minotaur is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent and what highland bull.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Highland Cow is … ‘Chefs Kiss’ 😘

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great entry and a very credible tartan.
    Speaking of Highland Cows, true story. I once officiated at a wedding where the groom and his friends wore highland dress. At the reception, once quite drunk, the best man said to the groom, “I can’t believe you married that cow”. Violence ensued as they drunkenLy tried to hurt each other with those wee knives in the socks, but no one was hurt.
    Those ACW figures turned our well!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cracking through them now mate, low the Highland Cow with the Broadsword 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boom, great looking ACW, love the Highland cow,nice tartan!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  16. Impressive painting of such little figures

    ReplyDelete