Friday 14 January 2022

From JeremyM: Solar System, Demon Donoldium Drumph [Death Star] (60 points)

  Hi All,

Procrastination (and waiting on a birthday to not spoil a surprise) has me starting a bit late this year, but I was painting pretty frantically right at the start of the challenge. I’ll start my first entry with something that might fall under the terrain category perhaps?

3D Print of Solar System to scale

So this first entry is a model of the solar system I made for my nephew who just turned 7 this past weekend. He loves space and when I saw this model on thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4656228) I just had to print and paint it for him. So I’m a little unclear at what scale the figures one might play with on this model as the scale of it is 1: 1,250,000,000, so umm figures the size of dust might be too big. That being said Curt pushed me to include this in the challenge as it fit this year’s theme to a T!



Earth and the moon are 3rd from the left


Saturn's ring was rather thin, but survived shipping

I printed the overall structure (the two halves of the base and the two halves of the partial sun) as well as the big planets on my ender 3 max in PLA filament. It’s a pretty big model with the base coming in around 40cm wide, 20cm tall. Jupiter is about 10 or 15 cm alone. The small planets and all of the writing were printed in resin. I had to learn how to make text 3d to do this, but it was worth it to add the planet names for him even if it did start to make the base look a bit busy. Fun to also learn a new 3d modelling skill as well. Researching how to paint the planets was a challenge. I’m not sure I got it completely right as the online photos and colours vary depending on when they were taken, the light etc. Overall this took me about 1 month to print and another month to paint. My nephew loved his birthday present…despite it not really being a toy. He told me on videochat that “I have the whole world in my hands!”  Made me a pretty happy uncle to hear that! The model does an excellent job giving a real sense of scale. Since I completed the final parts of this right around the start of the challenge I’ll claim 1 terrain submission for 20 points as a lot was done prior to that but the model is pretty darn big so at least 6” square would have been painted near the end. And now onto my Hubris entry for the Death Star…and what a more fitting entrant than the embodiment of “excessive pride or self-confidence” than the former legitimately not re-elected U.S. President.

Demon Donoldium Drumph



This model I call Demon Donoldium Drumph. He is a kitbash of a great old one on a scooter (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4057326) and a caricature of Donald Trump (https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/donald-trump-pooyanofsky ).  He was made for a campaign game I was running using OnePageRules GrimDark Future setting. Over the course of the game there were multiple variations of Donoldium Drumph as he morphed into ever more evil versions until he finally met his demise fittingly sent back to the warp by Curt’s Inquisitor model. I’ll post a synopsis of our campaign on Curt’s blog soon (thanks Curt!).

Various versions of Donoldium Drumph from our campaign

Since he is riding what is effectively a death guard blight-hauler I think he likely counts as a 28mm vehicle. So I'll start my journey on the Analogue Hobbies galaxy on the Death Star....hmm where to next?

1 Terrain @ 20 points
1 28mm Vehicle @ 20 points
Death Star @ 20 points
Total  = 60 points

Thanks, JeremyM


From DaveD 

A welcome to another of the Friday crew - great to have you along. I agree it certainly fits the theme alright! Even better you got to be the cool uncle! The Demon Donoldium Drumph is to me weirdly scary.. and rightly so i reckon. Good to have you off the mark - 60 it is!



21 comments:

  1. That is one weird demon, Jeremy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous entry Jeremy. I've been looking forward to seeing it since you finished the projects. That solar system model is superb, and even better when seen close up - such a wonderful gift for your nephew. And for Drumph... what can I say but what a brilliant bit of modelling. I heard reports from the Inquisitor that this Plague Daemon's last utterances before being sent back to the Warp were, 'Covfef, no collusion, stop the steal. Sad...' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice solar system, but Drumph is my favorite. I guess it is imagination part, he is not as real as the solar system. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The solar system is really good and I have a big-big laugh with the mythical creature (and hopefully it will remain mythic for the rest of my life)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping to be able to see the finished Solar System project! You definitely win cool Uncle points!
    Your Drumph kitbash is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job scoring cool uncle points! Love the solar system. drumph is horrible in all of his guises, love the KFC bucket placements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also a few hamburgers as well...not a picky eater...maybe that's why there are also bits of skeletons on the Demon version.

      Delete
  7. They are tremendous, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome! LOVE that Solar System model Jeremy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff! The solar system is a pretty impressive terrain project, and Drumph is almost as nightmarish as its prototype, but much more amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drumph is terrifying and the KFC models are wickedly clever. Your nephew will treasure that model I’m sure.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some pretty unique figures there mate, great job

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking solar system and deamon Trump is awesome if disturbing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. That solar system looks ace but I just love Drumph in his various incarnations. Bloody brilliant take

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my eyes and sanity! At least the solar system is also there!

    ReplyDelete