Friday 14 January 2022

From MartijnN: At last on firm ground - Elves on Vulcan (68 points)

Wow. That was a lot more trouble than I supposed it to be. Talk about life getting in the way, or rather about my unusual talent for procrastination. However, we seem to be off at last! My first contribution to Challenge XII concerns pointy ears. Yes, I know, the pesky little subjects I present to you today have gone to great lengths to hide there earish disfigurations, but you and I know a wood elf when we see one, don't we? So conceal them all they can, we know that those pointy ears are there, beneath those fancy hoods! Thus, we may safely proceed to Vulcan!



These 15mm Chariot Miniatures Wood Elves are actually a quite recent addition to my very ancient DBA/ Hordes of the Things fantasy armies. I bought a fair number of orcs and elves back in the nineties, painted some up, and then largely forgot about the rest, until I discovered a few years ago that Chariot Miniatures are still being produced and sold by Magister Militum. Thus these Spears and Light Cavalry were drafted into my Elven Army. They are rather nice figures, if somewhat traditional and monoposed of course, in the old fashioned way.




As usual, this is a rather basic paint job; after all, these are wargaming figures (also, actually I am hardly capable of anything more sophisticated!). I used mostly Citadel Contrast paints, using every single shade of green I could find, and some of the Instant Colors by Scale75, more or less their variant on the contrast theme. However, I must admit that although I am a huge fan of the Contrast range, I am less impressed by the Instant Colors. Most of the paints are so translucent to almost be washes. Still, they have their use. I gave the figures a protective coat of The Army Painter's Soft Tone, and coat of varnish to dull down the gloss finish that provides, though they may need another coat of that to remove all shine.

So there you have it. Pointswise:

- 8 15mm foot @ 2pts = 16

-8 15mm horse @ 4pts = 32

- Vulcan bonus: 20

For a total of 68 points. And a squirrel ;-)


From DaveD

Welcome along , one less for the great cut!! . Interesting to hear your views on the contrast versus instant paint. That kicks you challenge off and onward!

12 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Martijn! Nice elves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Martijn! I first looked at the photo of the green mass and I was wondering, if this is a horde of orcs, they have pointy(sh) ears, I guess. Then I took another look and actually read the topic and realized they were elves. :)

    And no, I'm not trying to mock your painting skills, they are more enough - I guess it is just my old eyes and old brains which associated huge lot of green with some red immeaditely to the Orcs of 90s. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely old school feel to these elves Martijn. They look great. I had some Chariot French Revolutionary types back in the day and I remembered them as being quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic looking elves Martijn (I thought they were 28s at first)!

    Welcome back to the Challenge, mate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everytimne I see this oldchool models I vhave a blast fromn the past. The painting work is top

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done for getting off the mark mate, welcome to the Challenge 😁

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome aboard! Those figures look very elvish indeed with your clever paint choices. Love the red bridles and the shields, well done.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chariot do some great fantasy figures and you've done them justice

    ReplyDelete