Friday 14 January 2022

From DougM: Ambush in Normandy - (60 Points)

This one I thought would be a dawdle, just whack some Late War German 'Ambush Camouflage' on a couple of vehicles, Caprica sorted, bish bosh, jobs a good 'un.  

Except that when I checked, the Ambush Camouflage scheme didn't come into use until September 1944. And as I am building these for use in a Normandy campaign, well, that's kind of torn it. So I must add some foliage, claim they are in ambush for the Allies, and throw myself on the mercy of the Minions!

Rubicon 1/56 Panther & a Resin SdKfz 250 of unknown Provenance


The 12th SS Panzer Division was almost completely re-equipped before redeploying to the Normandy battles, so I kept the weathering to a minimum, just some dried mud/dust and a bit of very light chipping. 


The Rubicon Panther is a very nice model, with the only thing that I felt could have been improved would be the inclusion of some PE for the engine grille as Rubicon did with their Tiger II. I picked up the halftrack second hand, so I have no idea where it is from. It's actually quite a nice little model but it looks absolutely tiny next to modern 28mm figures. I sometimes regret going with 1/56 instead of 1/48 for my vehicles, but then I think about all the ranges I would miss out on. 

Anyway - still on 1 Squirrel Point, and a total of:

2 x 28mm Vehicles @ 20 = 40
Caprica - for another 20 =20
For a total of 60 points.

From DaveD
aaah the old 28mm scale debate chestnut - I have some sympathy with that - I think 1/48th (or even it seems 1/50th) look better overall than the 1/56th stuff but of course the better  availability makes a difference - any way you've done a grand job on a big cat and its little friend. Ambush!! hmmm ok i will just about go with that - though i think they might get spotted!!

15 comments:

  1. Nice work Doug, as (nominally) 28mm games don't seem to have the tank park effect of smaller scales I thing a little scale variation is not an issue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple plans going wrong, that's always a small headache. Good job in the end, although the different scales might cause another headache.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got chuckle out of the opening para as I am a great one for not quite getting the details right.

    Great work on the vehicles. I am avoiding the ambush laid by 28mm “scale” vehicles….

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Doug, these vehicles look great. The silhouette of the Panther is always so nice to see...even at tragic scales like 1/56 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Details shmetails. It’s done and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ice work afoul. I do all my late war German armour in ambush camouflage just because it’s so cool.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking Late War German armour!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work all round Doug. Camo is great. And good on you to have gone down the way of the ‚proper‘ scale ;–)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pair of German vehicles 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete