Monday 11 March 2024

From Lorenzo: Mixed Bag - Noggin, Nottub and Namreg (Points 75)

So I don't forget here is my library map.
Well this is certainly a mixed bag this week.
First up back to my childhood and as it happens a friend who likes Oliver Postage, Smallfilms and Noggin the Nog. My friend will be getting this figure as a gift, it is a subject they still enjoy despite the ravages of dementia.
This was a sudden purchase from the little soldier company. Very prompt service.
I painted the 28mm Noggin conventionally although I did use snakebite leather Citadel Colour Contrast to "line/shadow" the white primer.I also played a bit with citadel washes and contrasts on the red tunic. Frankly the 20 year old Baal red on his shoes was as good as last weeks blood angels on his tunic. Elsehwere I used a traditional mix some paint to get three purple colour for the cloak. And I used Citadel Colour Contrast Nazreg Yellow over some Vallejo gamers colour gold. A contrast over the conventional green leggings does not show as they were too close together. You do have to plan your overcoats of contrast and experiment. That is less attractive for large numbers of figures in production I guess.
Then it was some Peco railway grass and a GW sand mix to finish the base. I would like 5+20= 25 points for this childrens character please. Turning to Sci Fi I offer up "Namreg the Breather". a 28mm character He came from a free sprue of Panzergrenadiers off a recent Miniature Wargames Magazine? or maybe it was WI? Except he did not look this way on the sprue. I took a basic figure then tweaked a luger with some spare sprue and also cut some more for the face unit. Plastic rod from the bits box provided the cyclinders while the hose was a discarded flosser minus its handle. A spanner got painted up as some sort of "whizzy doctor who type sonic screwdriver" tool.
I primed the result in white and shadowed with snakebite leather. Then the trousers are a VJ bright blue covered in a dark blue citadel contrast while the jacket was done in VJ game colour beasty brown again covered in snakebite contrast. The cylinders were finished in Magos purple while I felt an armband was required to show he is a militia type.
I did a couple of highlights - the gun barrel got game colour heavy black green then VJ lime green spot and VJ ivory white spot. while the visor unit got good old (20 years!) Citadel Mechrite Red then VJ Game colour orange fire and again VJ ivory white spot. The breather unit gauze was VJ gamer polished gold with nazdreg yellow contrast on top. I could see these for real but the photos don't show them very well even in close up. I would like 5+20 points for this character and library section. Finally I am taking a chance here to visit the manga/graphic novel section courtesy of DeathZap wargaming pastor
I was really taken with the Hominids on his blog and as it happened also saw some "crappy soldiers" at a toy fair in Doncaster at Xmas and thought why not have a go. Here is another link to the Pastors "how to make Hominids" I copied his method just mixing up the top highlight with GW Mechrite red and some white to make a nice pinky colour over blood angels contrast over GW mechrite red over snakebight leather contrast. Maybe there is no story book yet..... - but the Hominid, in my case Nottub Reidlos looks suitably odd and scary for this library section?

So thats my contribution to manga etc. and just maybe they will appear in my own TACFOS story I reckon my 28mm hominid Nottub Reidlos earns me 5 + 20 points = 25 points. so if all is permitted thats three figures and three sections 25+ 25 + 25 = 75 pts. Not sure if I will manage another submission before we end the challenge which is currently a set of figures that are not quite working for me. Anyway its been a great challenge for me and very satisfying. Thanks especially to Sylvain for all his ideas, themes and assistance to this rooky. 

 

Sylvain: That Noggin is a cute little fellow. You have an interestingly weird submission this week, well served by your paint job. I hope you enjoyed your first participation in the Challenge! 

21 comments:

  1. Really love that Noggin range of figures. You've done a fine job on all three, but Noggin scores it for me. I hope that your friend enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love these. So thoughtful, well-considered and wonderfully executed. Well done Lorenzo and thank you for joining us this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curt it was a pleasure, not least the library challenge, that ruined my schlieswig holstein plan straight away yet it meant I have never been so creative. I hope to return next year probably with my danes and germans still incomplete and some other figures that are left in the AHPC queue. Hats off to everyone for organising AHPC and of course Sylvain. thanks

      Delete
  3. Love that li'l guy! Also I don't think the link to the Hominid how-to posted. Could you go back and edit? Would love to see more on this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dallas so I went in and edited the links but they still don't work. here is a link to deathzap/pastors article on how to make a hominid. you will need to cut and paste into your browser I am afraid.

      https://deathzap.co.uk/2023/12/11/easy-tabletop-hominids/

      Delete
  4. Hi Dallas - thanks - I am not sure I am meant to switch things around. I will ask Sylvain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dallas I went and failed to get the links to work please use address in your browser.

      https://deathzap.co.uk/2023/12/11/easy-tabletop-hominids/

      Delete
    2. Cheers Lorenzo, thanks!

      Delete
  5. Good job Lorenzo, great entries to the Library!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always nice to see Noggin again -- especially in this more dramatic action pose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work. I love those Noggin models, flashback to childhood incoming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Peter, I often think that my wargaming introduced me to the dark ages but I was watching a great version as an infant! I still happily remember the jumpy wing flaps of the Comorant and as for those nasty black birds with beady eyes.......maybe there will be an AHPC15

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work on these figures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, love Noggin the Nog!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. so different but yet so cool.

    ReplyDelete