Monday 11 March 2024

From SimonG: Final Post - Some "New Look" Romans in 28mm (40 points)

It seems too soon but this is probably my final new post for the challenge as I am off to Paris next week (to catch the Posy Simmonds exhibition at the Pompidou Centre). Anyway I've had a fun week working on another batch of Roman legionaries but changing things up a bit in the look.




My reference for this batch of figures was the seated legionary from Plate G in Osprey 511 "Roman Units in the Eastern Provinces (1)".




With his yellow undergarment and brass galea this is quite different from the normal red/steel look I've been painting so far. As before the figures are from Victrix with LBMS shields.




The main challenge was getting the shade of dusty yellow right but here Reikland Fleshade turned out to be my saviour -- it tones colours down without imposing a strong shade of its own and so is very versatile if you want to add depth and muting to pretty much any colour. A range of tan brown and very pale yellow dry coats and it came out OK (at least I think so!)





My main bug bear was that Eagle! It broke off and of course I stuck it back on backwards the first time! Doh ... I'm sure this one's not going to last long in use, in future these might be better replaced by metal





Anyway I've made a start on my Impetus armies for the Jewish wars -- four bases down only another 56 or so to go! Luckily I have a 8x6 playing area so I can deploy decent sized armies 😃









So with the challenge drawing to a close while I have abjectly failed to meet my target I have made a good start on two new projects (Jewish Wars Impetus and Albigensian Crusade) and discovered a new scale (15mm) -- now I only have to keep some momentum up before the next challenge!


For points we have a simple 8 28mm figures for a total of 40.  See you all soon for the challenge round-up.

Sylvain: A very impressive display of erudition and artistry for this submission. Your Romans are a pure delight to look at. I hope you have an excellent time in Paris and see you in in round-up!

 

 

22 comments:

  1. Wow Simon these guys look great! Love the yellow clothing, nice contrast to the usual red. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas -- I thought I had to do this one especially as the reference was from Judea. I'll be sure to do some more stands to the same pattern

      Delete
  2. Stunning work Simon. the yellow and brass helmet gives a very different look. You also given them a very and dusty appearance, which is enhanced by the basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter -- glad you appreciate the "weathering" I always assume these fellows have had to walk miles across a dusty plain!

      Delete
  3. Great job on these Romans. Really like the different uniform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom -- I'm getting more comfortable going in on all of the details on Roman uniforms now, with decent magnification it's not too much effort

      Delete
  4. Great photography as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks -- unlike the Princess of Wales I've now learned how to take single shots with decent depth of field (it helps that these subjects don't move!)

      Delete
  5. Looks great and the change in color is awesome. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really appreciate it Barks -- I'll have to be on the look out for more uniform variations

      Delete
  6. Those Romans look great. I love the crisp clear colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I hope they come across as neat and easy to read!

      Delete
  7. I like the finish - useful to know about CCC riekland flesh. These romans have an upbeat colour brightness something black undercoat and layering often depressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I tend to only use black undercoat for vehicles. Grey Seer for figures such as these provides a reliable base (provided I don’t overspray 😎). They’re also less glossy then they appear in photos

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, it’s been fun getting deeper into this project

      Delete
  9. Splendid Romans with an unusual colour scheme,lovely!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Appreciate all of your kind comments

      Delete
  10. A great final post with some really nice figure

    ReplyDelete