Monday 11 March 2024

From AdamC: Egyptian Spearmen and Beornings Fantasy (170 points)

 

I neglected to include the map last time. Here shows my visit to the nature stacks and now I am backtracking to Fantasy.  First up some additional Egyptians.

We have a few additional archers who where hiding on desk.
They have one leader with a bronze sword. For the period we are doing it should probably be iron or steal but I want to have them able to portray earlier Egyptians.
Here we have the backbone of any ancient army soldiers armed with shields and spears. The shields seems to have been oxide which makes sense as wood is a fairly limited resource in Egypt.
The shields had me puzzled as they did seem to make sense until I saw a historic example
As you can see in this example (ancient toy soldiers) the grip is at the narrow point.  I'm assuming position these men are holding these shields in something like "present arms" not a marching position.

There are 18 Egyptians of all types.
Next we have a little fun project a few years ago I got War Games Atlantic's Plastic Irish for slingers... I didn't get as many as I wanted and need to come up with a project. So I present the Beornings.
The Beornings are blink and you miss them culture from the Lord of the Rings. Beorn has a big roll to play in the Hobbit and after the battle of the Five Armies he organized a group of people called the woodmen into a nation that took his name.
Who these people were is an open question but I imagine they are something of a conglomeration of peoples. Refugees from Dale, the ancient people's of the period Dunlendings who left home maybe even cousins of the people of Rohan. So I mixed and matched gear from my bits box and let my imagination run a little wild (Tolkien if this isn't what you had in mind I can only say I did this with love in my heart) here are some close ups.
Some javelin armed lads 
Spearmen 
Aggressive swordman.
I'd say this fellow is rallying his allies or taunting his enemies 

I decided to do some tree themed shields because it seemed appropriate.
A Roman style shield 
A cloaked hero these cloaks are a great feature of this set.
Another leader with a horn to call men to his aide.
Another leader with a prestige tunic of blue.  I'll probably play these guys as lords of the wild in Saga I need some bowmen to support them and some bears or werebears. 

Points all figures are 25/28 mm 

18 Egyptians for 90 points
16 Beornings for 80 points
Possibly 20 points for fantasy (I think I can double back but I could be wrong)
For a total of 170 or 190 points 

Sylvain: Your Egyptians are great, as usual, and your "Beornings" show lots of creativity on your part. I'm sure Tolkien would have approved :-). As for claiming points, I'm afraid you would have to change location by using Sarah's cart (simply done by painting a female figure, a modest price to pay). A very decent points harvest!


19 comments:

  1. Ah well worth asking and still enough to pass my goal. Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on the handpainted shields!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a point of pride for me that I always hand paint my shields.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you I'm really pleased with them myself

      Delete
  4. Great stuff Adam -- especially like the tree emblems on the shields and good to learn more about your Egyptians

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting shield details for the Egyptians Adam, plus the story of your dark age style Beornings - I like the rugged style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work. Love the Beornings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking Egyptians and a slice of Tolkien I hadn't known/remembered/paid attention to? Nice conversions to the dark age figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I Beornings are my favorite forgotten strand from the Hobbit that gets just enough of a mention in Fellowship so that I know he didn't forget it entirely.

      Delete
  8. Great work Adam! I especially like the Egyptians.

    ReplyDelete