Monday 11 March 2024

From SanderS: Post 1 - Some Nature anyone? (32 points)

 Hoi,


As We are nearing the end of the Challenge I think I have two more departments in the Challenge Library I would like to visit and the first one is the nature department. While I had big plans for this location, I only was able to get a fraction done. 

Since I have two FDM 3D printers (one's awaiting a new hot-end at the moment but okay) I have printed a bucket load of terrain I need to paint. Did I say I totally HATE painting terrain? Well I do! At the same time I am lacking some decent terrain and therefore I needed to get cracking. With the release of the Old World I wanted some trees done and printed quite a few from different producers, as I intend to mainly play Old World in 3 locations on the Old World map, I wanted terrain to match. These locations are Bretonnia/ the empire (mostly grasslands and woods), Lustria (jungle terrain and Aztec looking ruins) and Khemri (since a friend at the club plays Tomb Kings) I ordered two new terrain mats, predictably one deserty mat and one lush green mat, and started painting trees. Now most of these I wanted without a canopy to get that spooky looking Fangorn kinda look, but I also inluded one with canopy just to show how the rest will look when I get the chance to print some more.



There's also a lot of treestumps, all but one are misprints due to running out of PLA while printing and I filled them up with wood-filler to use them as difficult terrain. 



As you can see from this picture I also had planned on painting A Lustrian Temple and Spawning Pool as well as some more ruins for Mordheim, sadly I didn't get round to them. 

Painting these trees was really simple so I cannot see me getting any more points out of them than 1 point a piece so with the location bonus I gather them to net me 32 points.

Cheers Sander



Sylvain: Despite your reluctance to paint terrain, these pieces look very good. Great job!

18 comments:

  1. Nice looking terrain. Being able to print what you need for thematic battlefields is really cool. I am a total noob with 3d printing but it’s getting harder all the time to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now have both my printers online, production will increase I am sure ;-)

      Delete
  2. Those trees are very atmospheric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great evil looking forest. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting collection - I am already visualising your worlds. I am sure you will get payback on the table - many figures often look better in scenery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes well, there's a lot of work still to be done, but the first step is done!

      Delete
  5. Urgh, I hate painting terrain too. These look great though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so much prefer painting mijiatures to terrain, but they need each other so we have no choice I guess...

      Delete
  6. Excellent terrain post!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete