Monday 31 December 2018

From MattK: First Submission - Blood and Plunder Natives and Epic 40k (100 points)

Hey everyone! This is my first time in the Challenge. Thanks for having me.

For the my first entry into the contest I wanted to paint my whole Native starter box for Blood and Plunder but Christmas got in the way of my plans. I got most of the box done but I figured it made more sense to post some progress rather than wait til next weekend to submit my first entry

First here's a shot of the whole entry.


This is the 8 Warrior Archers, 4 African Warriors and the 4 Musketeers.

And some close-ups.




In addition to getting this nice little force started I painted this Space Wolf figure as a Christmas Present for my Mom. I think he came in one of Horus Heresy boxes but I picked him up on eBay a while ago.



Finally I couldn't help myself and I broke into my stash of Epic stuff to do some test pieces for my next project. There's probably going to be a lot more of this from me through the Challenge. I bought the plastic figures and Rhinos off of eBay but the bases for the figures, dreadnaught and landraider were all 3D printed on my new printer (a Christmas present to myself).

I'm incredibly happy with how the freehanded Imperial Fist symbol turned out.



If I'm doing the math right,
  • 16 x 28mm Foot for 80 points
  • 1 x 28mm Foot for 5 more
  • 10 x 6mm foot for 5 points
  • 3 x 6mm Vehicle for 6 points
  • and whatever the dread is worth
Thanks


________________________________

G'day Matt and welcome to the Challenge!

I have to start by saying any Mom who would be happy with a Space Wolf painted up for Christmas must be truly one-of-a-kind! Does she actually play 40k or just like the miniatures? You have to give us more info than that mate...

Regards your entry, this is a cracking way to kick off. I'm stuck for which of your efforts I like best to be honest. The natives are really cool and the skin tone is great. I struggle with native tones so I really appreciate it when people get them right.

I'm also really impressed by your Imperial Fists. It's great to see the old plastic Rhinos still getting painted up. They are such an iconic looking vehicle and the mustard yellow really suits them. Well done on the Fists symbol too. Freehand at 6mm is never easy!

Your math looks pretty good to me. Let's call the Epic Dread a vehicle too and you get an extra point for the freehand symbol AND another for having the coolest of Moms. All up that's a neat 100 points to start you off. Well done indeed and keep the good stuff coming!

Cheers,
Millsy 

19 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff. I especially like the Imperial Fists, as I'm painting up some "Epic" minis myself, so am always in awe of how well others paint their 6mm stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could anyone give me contact details for GuyB? He did some beautiful Polybian Romans back in 2017 which I would love to use for an article in Slingshot (bimonthly magazine of the Society of Ancients). Cheers and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justin, Guy is the editor of 'Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy' magazine. You should be able to find his contact information from their corporate website.

      Delete
  3. A nice mix of entries, Matt. Welcome to the Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Epic - I really wish I'd not got rid of mine years ago. Also, that skin tone on the natives is excellent - really subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent brush work. You've got talent, sir

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome on aboard. Great 1st entrh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work. The yellow on the Epic Fists looks great and the Space Wolf looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great, eclectic post, the teeny tiny space marines and the space wolf are great and the natives are super!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome aboard Matt! Nice varied post here - great work. That Space Wolf is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great start Matt. Live the Natives!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a great start into your first challenge! Welcome aboard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice, I do like the Fists!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome Matt and what a whopper first post this is. Those natives are splendid and you can't go wrong with Space Marines specially if they sport such nice freehand icons!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great stuff but pride of place has to go to the Space Wolf - you have really brought him to life with the quality of your brushwork - splendid work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome Matt - always a pleasure to see more Epic stuff in the Challenge! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Weilcome and very impressive output to start

    ReplyDelete