Monday 31 December 2018

From Curt: Fighting Fae - 'Tom Thumb' and his Furies (44 Points)


I first saw these figures last spring on the Eureka Miniatures' Facebook page (lurking under Sarah's profile) and knew I had to get a set. They immediately reminded me of Brian Frond and Alan Lee's illustrations in 'Faeries' published way back in the late 70s when I was just a kid.


These are about 20mm in height, but their very slight physiques make them look smaller. Even though they've been scaled to blend with the other 28mm figures in Eureka's fantasy range, I like to think of them at being 'true scale', 1:1. To reinforce this I have Tom leaping from a thimble (kindly sourced from Lynn, Peter's (infinitely) better half).



I love how dynamic the poses are. In my minds eye, their movement echos films like 'Peter Pan' and 'Princess Mononoke'.



The sculpts are very fine and intricate, with each figure's sword even having a unique basket/guard detail. Really lovely stuff.




So, how do you get these wonderful little gems? I'll be frank here: I absolutely love Eureka's stuff. It's creative, beautifully sculpted and masterfully cast. But don't ask me how to actually source these freakin' models (I finally had to send then a direct query as I was completely stumped). I find the Eureka website has been ingeniously designed to discourage people from actually purchasing their products. It's completely impenetrable and torturous - it's as if the site was designed by the Marquis de Sade and coded by Kafka. By the time you find something you've been looking for you feel like they should be paying you for the aggravation and waste of time. 

Sigh... , but I digress. 

Yes, I'll still be there, searching and clicking like a madman, when the next shiny thing emerges from Eureka...

I feel better now (rocks back and forth), no really, I do.

Points? Hmm, eleven 20mm fae folk should put me at 44 points. 



Happy New Year to you and yours, everyone!


____________________________________________


Happy New Year, Curt! I feel that I am luckily close to Eureka's Australian-based operations, but I was unfamiliar with these gorgeous fey figures. The thimble is a lovely touch.

Barks

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder. Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels. Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies. Elves are glamorous. They project glamour. Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment. Elves are terrific. They beget terror. The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning. No one ever said elves are nice. Elves are bad.
Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Talking about Terry: my first association was WEE FREE MEN! Nae King, Nae Qinn, Nae Master we will never be fooled again!"

      Delete
  2. Fantastic little minis. I love the thimble idea. Next you'll be working on goblins with buttons for shields and sprites wielding crochet hooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely fey folk, very nicely done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely little folk, Curt! Their poses are so dynamic. That thimble is a great touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Curt, the scenics are brilliant as are all the different coloured hairdo's

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a corking little submission, I’ve never seen anything like these before! The basing sets them off brilliantly, so very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely little folk Curt! Lynne approves of the use of her thimble!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cool entry mate. Love the touch with the thimble. We need more fae folk in the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year. Cool looking figures! Great stuff. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work Curt. And I could not agree more - hearing something can be found on Eureka’s web site is like being told something is easily available on Mars...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought painting 1:1 scale doesn't count?! I remember some conversations about chairs and walls, surely 1:1 scale elves are not an exception? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the kind words everyone, they were great fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, these are wonderful Curt! The thimble is a great touch and really helps to set the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely little figures. Nice find and nice work.

    ReplyDelete