Monday 10 January 2022

From Mike W - More ECW Scots Covenantors (165 Points)

As promised after my second post, earlier this challenge, here is the follow-up Covenantor unit plus the Command stand for the first one that did not arrive in time for the previous post!

The New Unit, with second command stand at it's side

And as it was a few short days ago! If anyone is wondering about the art work they are resting on  -
its my grand-daughters doodling of a Dinosaur!

I have used the same paint palette for this unit, as I used for the first one - allowing me to swap and change the figures about to get the second rank of each unit aligned to meet my OCD tendencies - to me either a unit has to be made of all different figures or those in a similar pose!   

The Command Stands

I used the same techniques to paint these figures as the last unit - so will not duplicate this here.

The sharp end of the unit - Pike & Pole-Arm Block

One command group has a blue drum and a black flag, (taken from the wonderful Project Auldearn 1645 Blog and actually the Colonel's flag of Lord Balfour of Burleigh's Regiment), whilst the other command stand has the red drum and blue flag, just to make them different. Rather annoyingly I made up both unit's officers with dual pistols - I had thought that I'd prepared one with a sword and pistol - oh well - the downside of rushing through these builds late at night and  early in the morning!

The Left Musketeer Block

Flags are taken from the internet and fancied-up using Microsoft Paint before printing on my home printer, cut to size and then glued on their poles using wood glue to moisten the paper and allow the flags to be moulded into a more realistic position.

The Right Musketeer Block

In this second set of figures, I have modelled four of the pikemen to be holding halberds / ancient polearms to represent the liberation of such weapons from the houses of local noblemen.

The new unit by its-self

The final picture is that of the two new units side by side...

Both Units - Side by Side - OCD fears resolved!

POINTS

32 x 28mm Foot Figures= 160 POINTS


Covanenters, the grim dark forces of the ECW!  What a great looking unit Mike, I really like the look of them all lined up.  You've also given some real personality to this very grey force.  I am a big fan of DIY flags sourced from the Interweb so you get some extra points for those.  Next time include a better shot of your grand daughter's artwork! 

14 comments:

  1. Well done Mike. The Warlord plastic sets are a great way to bulk out an army- they form the majority of the infantry in my Royalist army.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are looking great, I vote for more Dino artwork too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great looking unit. The halberds mixed with the pike is a nice way to add some variety to the troops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a Campbell, any mention of Auldearn makes me twitch. That aside, terrific looking Covenanters Mike! All of this must have been due to the good mana from your granddaughter's artwork. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, the both units look good now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff, nice to see good sized units

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would also like to record my vote for more Dino art :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. liking those dowdy conventers Mike

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking Covenanters, nice flags!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see some more Covenanters 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete